Incubators Anonymous

Day 22 on 29 ee,OE, and silken ameracamas. Nothing is happening
he.gif
.I hate waiting....especially when I'm not100% sure of the eggs to begin with.

hu.gif
oh that is good information there,i didn't know that,i have just put in 5 turkey eggs on the 5Th of may,i have candled really don't know what I'm suppose to be seeing,just yet maybe to early for candling turkeys,my incubator is having some problems staying at a steady temp.so don't even know if they are alive still,or not,but I'm not one to give up hope just yet,think ill wait another week to candle an see what i see

have you candled any of them? if they're not externally pipped, candle them and see what's going on.

I can hear tapping in 3 but most(20+) go cold way to fast, I'm sure their goners. The eggs came in over a week old on some and most where real dirty.I didn't have high hopes for this batch but I I had space so I tried.

Quote: well, for starters you shouldn't be taking them out long enough to get cold, even if they were duds... have you candled any of them? that right there will tell you if they're even developed enough to hatch, let alone if there's any life inside.

the tapping you're hearing is breathing... they click when they're learning to breathe.

I didn't take them out. They "chilled" while adding water say less than 2 min. I don't typically remove them at all during lock-down (days18-22), hence the name.Candled at 18 days and only saw movement in 3. But Olive eggs can be difficult to see through so I left them all in.Also they must only be breathing when I tap first and then it is very vigorous.

In the last half hour 1 tapper pipped

Yes so slow you have to really look to see them turn. But when I got the thing I had already put eggs in before I realized I couldn't turn off the turners. Ugggh I was sick I didn't think about it before. I'm thinking I'll use this cabinet to put eggs in every 7-10 days and one on each tray then on lock down move to my little farm innovator to just hatch in. Maybe??? I have a small flock and get about 4-7 eggs a day so that wouldn't be holding them long and would put me even with a good hatch not more than I could handle at one time. I hear so much about hand turning successes but for me it is just not feasible since I'm not home all day. And I don't want to risk me forgetting to turn them.
I have been hand turning in an old redwood; I just turn twice a day and have been having pretty good hatches; even 100% on a couple batches of ducks. I have even forgot to turn them once or twice and they have been fine. I turn in the morning before I leave for work and again at night before I go to bed.

Did you get the Metal turners to go with your Redwood incubator ? I have a set i will try and get photos of for you but its just 3 bars one is flat and the 2 that are on the sides.
There are two original trays with the bottoms set up for turning, but the bars that go across the tray are missing from one and the other one was modified into a divided hatching tray. When I get time I might put some dowels across the one tray tho, just to speed things up a bit when I have a lot of eggs in there. But even when I had about 100 in there it didn't take that long to turn them; I mostly could put my hand on a group and roll several at once.

I'll tell you what takes a lot of time when you have lots of eggs and that is candling them all.

Back
Top Bottom