Incubators Anonymous

Ok now for a serious post, I need help from someone who has seen the
insides of a GQF sportsman

I got 18 beautiful Ameracuana eggs in the mail yesterday and today when I cranked up the incubator one of the fans wasn't working.
th.gif

I freaked out and took the back off and did all kinds of maintenance things, like vacuuming and wd40(hope that was OK)...
Anyhow I got it going
yesss.gif
so it's not going to get turned off until i'm done hatching.. I have several orders to fill over the next 2 months
so fingers crossed...I guess i can order a new fan and have it ready just in case..

Well.... I have always had this problem with the bottom shelf catching on the hatching tray when it turns and jamming up, so
now i just run it without the tray or shut down the turner when i'm hatching and hope it doesn't bother the incubating eggs
for a day or so. (i am incubating and hatching in the same unit)..

When I took the back off, i also looked at the turner, and I see that the screw attaching the bottom tray to the turner is really bent
so i am wondering if this is the cause, or alternatively whether it is supposed to be bent, so if anyone knows the answer I would love
to know before I dismantle it.. I'd call them but it's a holiday..

Yeah i'd have them too but i have been banned by the rest of my family because they are so noisy.. :(.... gotta wait until those kids
move out LOL!!!

I had some a few years ago. They were juvenile hens. I was raising some for me and some for a friend and when I needed to have a neck fusion operation and I let my friend take all of them just before they began to lay. I had bought a male for them but my husband let him out of the shed too early and the head peahen drove him into the forest. So even after the hens were gone we would here him call from the forest at night were he had taken up with a flock of wild turkeys. His voice fell silent about 5 years ago.

I had a lady last week stop and ask me if I was the one who used to have the peacocks. She lives down the street. She told me she missed hearing his voice at dusk announcing the sun's departure.

Ok now for a serious post, I need help from someone who has seen the
insides of a GQF sportsman

I got 18 beautiful Ameracuana eggs in the mail yesterday and today when I cranked up the incubator one of the fans wasn't working.
th.gif

I freaked out and took the back off and did all kinds of maintenance things, like vacuuming and wd40(hope that was OK)...
Anyhow I got it going
yesss.gif
so it's not going to get turned off until i'm done hatching.. I have several orders to fill over the next 2 months
so fingers crossed...I guess i can order a new fan and have it ready just in case..

Well.... I have always had this problem with the bottom shelf catching on the hatching tray when it turns and jamming up, so
now i just run it without the tray or shut down the turner when i'm hatching and hope it doesn't bother the incubating eggs
for a day or so. (i am incubating and hatching in the same unit)..

When I took the back off, i also looked at the turner, and I see that the screw attaching the bottom tray to the turner is really bent
so i am wondering if this is the cause, or alternatively whether it is supposed to be bent, so if anyone knows the answer I would love
to know before I dismantle it.. I'd call them but it's a holiday..

I have a Sportsman 1200 and no, my screw for the bottom turner tray is not bent. Its very short too - but not tight in the tray because it has to rotate back and forth. You may also want to check if the bolt that moves the rod towards the back is straight - that one looks like it might bend easily.

This is the before picture of the back

This is the after picture from the front.

Everything that is a bolt or a screw is straight.

I have a Sportsman 1200 and no, my screw for the bottom turner tray is not bent. Its very short too - but not tight in the tray because it has to rotate back and forth. You may also want to check if the bolt that moves the rod towards the back is straight - that one looks like it might bend easily.

Everything that is a bolt or a screw is straight.

Thank you, I"m going to straighten it then This must be the reason for the catching.. THANK YOU!!!!!
highfive.gif

Everyone else hatched and and they were fine. They are all active and not missing any other parts. I was worried about 2 of them but they perked right up after some Save-A-Chick and heat. So far, I have 12 out of 14 hatched. One is still in the shell. I candled it and can still see it moving. Maybe it will make an appearance tomorrow. The other seems to be a dud.

My 13th finally hatched. 13 out of 14 pretty darn good even if I do say so myself. We're pretty proud of these little sweeties.

Quote:

thanks for the pics... care to post pics of the front and back pieces too? i'd like to build one of my own but want to see the rest and how it goes together. LOL
Do you mean the back panel and the front door? The back panel has two holes in it - one at the top and one at the bottom - but nothing else except a piece of plywood. The front door was replaced by a big thick piece of plexiglass -for which I am very grateful - I like watching...

Before picture of back panel. Plain piece of plywood with two big holes drilled in it - and a piece of metal that can cover the holes to regulate air flow. There is one bolt about a foot above the ground that pushes on the inside on the center bar - keeps it from bowing out so the pins don't come out. The bolt head rests up against the metal (you can see the rubbing spot just above the middle tray) and has a nut on both sides to hold it steady.

Before door shot. Four hinges on right side, hinge at wood end, out and bent over plexiglass and screwed in the front - 3 latches on Left side that pull the door shut snugly. The front of the wood all has foam sealing tape on it. You can see the two water trays - and the hose for the auto-waterer hanging down in front - that goes out thru a hole in the left hand side.

Before I found this one I was looking for a small bar refrigerator with a clear door to modify. Would be really nice to have more insulation so the heat can't get out (or in)... It tends to get one warm spot right above the water trays - the fan blows the heated air right there.

If you decide to go with the electronic thermostat I would suggest the STC-1000 - it allows adjustments in tenths of a degree C - the other one I bought first requires full degree C adjustments. I have the eBay auction I bought mine from saved if you are interested. The F models were darned expensive!

the MFL was about 8 weeks old. he lost his foot about 3 weeks ago. never really walked or even try. he pulled himself with his wings. he was in bad shapers we culled him today. I would have thought with the stump he. could have walked but alas not.

Back
Top Bottom