Incubators Anonymous

yes, more ventilation is a good thing. you can always plug holes if needed, but eggs need to breathe.  more so when they're hatching than any other time.  the other thing, remove the bowl of water...  eggs need to lose moisture to develop normally, they really only need extra added during the last 2-3 days.
Thing is if I get rid of bowl of water the humidity drops to like 20,,,any suggestions??? And thanks for ur advice

20 is good...  I 'dry incubate' adding NO water until hatching, and average 15-20% depending on the season...  there are many others on here who have been 'converted' to dry incubation as well, and i'm sure some will chime in.
Yea I had read on here someone else had done that I wasn't to sure as I followed a DIY video of someone else's plus we are in England so the humidity is virtually zero :)

Thing is if I get rid of bowl of water the humidity drops to like 20,,,any suggestions??? And thanks for ur advice

cover the surface of the water partially, maybe saran wrap would work, The RH is relative to the surface area of the water in there. you can practice a partial cover up of different sizes until you get the RH that you want.

I have had good luck with low humidities also. Sometimes at 20% just make sure the air cells are not too huge.

i knew you were english from your clairegareth. I am from the midlands but my mom and sis live in Colwy bay and rhos on sea :)...

Last edited:
Quote:
not really... my sfh aren't huge either and are the friendliest things I've ever encountered... and compared to dorkings and bantam cochins that's saying something. LOL

my birds are rarely handled but always trusted not to nail me when my back is turned... that goes the same for my lf and bantam blrw and my ee's too. I won't keep a breed I can't trust.

Back
Top Bottom