Incubators Anonymous

So what do you all think of this ? Ron out here and I are going to try it. A friend of mine that is extremely experienced mentioned to try this before shipping eggs set them for a day in the incubator she mentioned the developing embryo seems to travel better similar to like when a hen is saving eggs to rear a clutch she sits on them some the first few days but not a lot once she has enough she sets on them all. Ron out here and I figured we would try it and ship each other some and see what happens. I love trying new things lol

So what do you all think of this ? Ron out here and I are going to try it. A friend of mine that is extremely experienced mentioned to try this before shipping eggs set them for a day in the incubator she mentioned the developing embryo seems to travel better similar to like when a hen is saving eggs to rear a clutch she sits on them some the first few days but not a lot once she has enough she sets on them all. Ron out here and I figured we would try it and ship each other some and see what happens. I love trying new things lol

I have heard people say it is very hard to RESTART eggs once they start to develop..... I would not try that myself.

I recently converted my Little Giant still-air incubator into a forced air incubator. So just to be sure, do I have to lower the temp a bit since before I converted it, it was at 102F?

I have heard people say it is very hard to RESTART eggs once they start to develop..... I would not try that myself.

In a perfect world we could just have SHIPPING INCUBATORS...that hold the eggs perfectly still. Better yet they would have individual egg holders with a weight on the small end of it so if the box is turned over, they are still always small end down.

They would maintain the perfect temp and humidity with constant adjustments during the entire trip. And they would get to you 3+ days after set!
lau.gif

There would be a movement sensor to mix up GroGel if it gets lost in the mail and they hatch somewhere far away. And a feathery interactive stuffed animal to cuddle if they are lonely.
Now watch...someone will steal my idea and make millions.
barnie.gif

So consider this post my copyright and patent...with a time/date stamp!
big_smile.png

And considering I am VERY tired and that is my only excuse for this post...I will
duc.gif
and trudge off to bed.

Just had my first hatch of shipped eggs this weekend. All silkies shipped from TN to CA when it was very cold. Eight went into lockdown, four hatched, but five pipped. The fifth one was merrily zipping away and stopped very suddenly. I thought since it pipped and then zipped right away that it must be resting. But with no change by morning I checked it. It looks like it just dropped dead in its poor little tracks. Anyone ever see this before? Any ideas what would cause this? All it's yolk was absorbed and it looked perfect. Poor little cuckoo colored silkie! :-( The three that quit after lockdown - one had a giant saddle air cell, one had a cracked shell patched with beeswax, and one just quit I couldn't really see anything as to maybe why.

I incubated at about 32-38% humidity then upped it to 55-60% for lockdown and I live in a high desert and heat with wood. This was my first time moving the eggs from the bator to a hatcher. I was so nervous that it would be different enough somehow and ruin them.

Boy I feel almost depressed now that the hatch is over...Luckily I'm prepared and get to go lock down 11 more right now for Friday hatch! Yippeeee! :)

Back
Top Bottom