Incubators Anonymous

I have 7 QUAIL! They weren't supposed to hatch until Friday. I was moving the 4 chicken chicks (one week old) to the larger brooder and was going to clean the aquarium hatcher/brooder out for the quail hatching on Friday. I heard peeping coming from the incubator and I already had 3 with more zipping! They had jumped down from the turner! I quickly put the two egg trays on the floor of the 'bator. These are Cortunix of mixed colors. One is yellow, 3 are dark with light faces and bellies (tuxedos I'm guessing) and 2 are yellow and black striped. The 19 bob eggs don't show signs of hatching yet but I wasn't expecting them before Saturday. That leaves about 15 Cortunix eggs left.

This one has a leg that seems odd but it is determined to get around with the others. It was one that jumped from the turner rack. I tried putting it in a tea cup but it managed to get out. I put paper towels down under them in the 'bator since I don't have the aquarium fixed up with a light yet because (of course) the bulb blew and the lamp uses a weird sized 40W bulb. Maybe I can find my art table lamp on the swing boom.

Ahh cute quail! I wonder if taping his legs like you do for splayed legs would help. I tape 'em and put them in a cup so they have to squat on their legs normally. I hope he's okay!

Anyone ever used the pine pellets for equine as brooder bedding? I'm using it for my mini pig litter box, & it is AWESOME!!! But, is it safe for chicks?? Its all natural and biodegradable. Its large pellets, but once its wet, it turns into like a dust.

I use wood pellets,for a wood stove,as guinea pig bedding. It very absorbent. It is made of saw dust and I would think chicks may eat it. So I have never used for chicks.

Yeah, that is the same thing. That's kind of what I was afraid of. It would make awesome bedding for the brooder, other than them eating it! Lol Too bad we cannot litter train chicks!

Ahh cute quail! I wonder if taping his legs like you do for splayed legs would help. I tape 'em and put them in a cup so they have to squat on their legs normally. I hope he's okay!

Update on the quail baby. He is up and toddling around with the rest. Found my art lamp. They killed the weakest baby during the night so I have them in the aquarium brooder now so that the two new hatchlings don't get killed. Lost one last night who stumbled out and crawled through the vent holes into the fan right after hatching. Removed fan from the bator for now.

Tractor Supply has two kinds of pine shavings: fine, which is almost like saw dust, and big flakes. I have found that when I put a layer of the fine on the bottom of the brooder, and a layer of big flakes on top of that, the brooder stays cleaner. The fine stuff draws the moisture down below the layer of big flakes.

But they could eat that as well right? So, basically the same. I know many people use sand, which they could eat. I don't want to do it if its not safe, but I really like this stuff. So, if it is safe, DEF wanna use it. Lol

But they could eat that as well right? So, basically the same. I know many people use sand, which they could eat. I don't want to do it if its not safe, but I really like this stuff. So, if it is safe, DEF wanna use it. Lol

I suppose they could if they could reach it, but they are walking around on a thick layer of big flakes. The fine stuff is down on the bottom where they can't get to it.

Tractor Supply has two kinds of pine shavings: fine, which is almost like saw dust, and big flakes. I have found that when I put a layer of the fine on the bottom of the brooder, and a layer of big flakes on top of that, the brooder stays cleaner. The fine stuff draws the moisture down below the layer of big flakes.

I suppose they could if they could reach it, but they are walking around on a thick layer of big flakes. The fine stuff is down on the bottom where they can't get to it.
X2...I just make sure the layer of big flakes is thick enough that they don't really get to the bottom layer of finer bedding...even when they decide they decide they need to scratch- scratch at the bedding for who knows what???LOL
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom