Incubators Anonymous

I wouldn't just take for granted that the spot check is the accurate one. I've got 4 of them running around that I very rarely use. 2 of them won't register a temp most of the time. There are better thermometers out there. I personally use an infrared gun that is lab certified every 6 months.

Last edited:
I wouldn't just take for granted that the spot check is the accurate one. I've got 4 of them running around that I very rarely use. 2 of them won't register a temp most of the time. There are better thermometers out there. I personally use an infrared gun that is lab certified every 6 months.

I tested one with ice water and looked like it was reading 1.5 degrees high. I don't know if that is a good way to test or not!

did it again, came downstairs yesterday wondering why the 2 (yes only 2) chicks I had in the house still, were raising such a racket... but they were all just acting normally. then I looked into the sportsman, and the floor was littered with chicks! I need to cut some cushion for the floor, several were a bit splayed. but overall it was a good hatch, even without any extra humidity.
LOL, Yep chickens dont need that high humidity, I have done it soo many times of not locking them down. WOOO HOO , now you wouldn't be able to get away with that if they were ducks. LOL

Well I don't know who answered my question for sure about the humidity if it was PD or lady cat anyway I have the hova bator 1602N thermal air incubator. The humidity always starts out a little high and then it just seems to fluctuate it's been raining a lot here and it's humid here and it's been going between 27 up to 33, mostly staying in the 20s upper 20s. I just candled my eggs for the first time its the seventh day. I have 16 eggs in the incubator and 15 of them are fertile. One was clear. In the Ameraucana eggs I could see three of them with chicks moving quite a bit. I held perfectly still so it wasn't my imagination and one of them was really moving a lot I was amazed actually. I didn't know you could see that this early in the game. I have a real good Candler and it shows up great in the blue eggs and pretty clear in the green ones. I'm real excited about my turn out on them today and I hope I get a good hatch rate also but who doesn't. Thanks for the input. Like I say it's been so humid here I haven't even had to add any water hardly this last few days.

NICE GOOD JOB!!! Usually at day four I can see the little buggers. Lol

Hi,I need some help! I am going into lockdown sat. in my 1588 genesus forced air! I took 6 readings center (98.3-98.5) front right (99.5-99.7) front left (98.0-98.1) left back (98.0-98.3) right back (95.7-96.0) center back (96.1-96.3) Should I raise temp or just not put any eggs in the back where it is reading low? I used the spot check therm!

Wow your doing your home work. Lol I would try to get it close to 100 and the rest of those numbers will go up and you should be good to go.

Wow your doing your home work. Lol I would try to get it close to 100 and the rest of those numbers will go up and you should be good to go.

Doing my homework to the point of insanity!!! I thought at lockdown I need to lower temp by 1 to 1.5 degrees and raise humidity.I will figure this out or go crazy trying!!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom