Incubators Anonymous

I noticed that the chicks tend to go to the egg that is hatching next, these two are cuddling up to the egg that is hatching next.

Does that always happen?

Very often. Mine sometimes even peck at the egg to help the new chick along. They peep to each other in order to sync the hatch. (Late chicks will be slower to get food when in competition to the older ones. More than 2 days late is a huge window in baby chick time.) It's neat how mother nature solves this problem by having them all hatch at the same time even though the eggs are layed on diff days.

Very often. Mine sometimes even peck at the egg to help the new chick along. They peep to each other in order to sync the hatch. (Late chicks will be slower to get food when in competition to the older ones. More than 2 days late is a huge window in baby chick time.) It's neat how mother nature solves this problem by having them all hatch at the same time even though the eggs are layed on diff days.

I think its awesome, the 3 remaining eggs are moving now and then but no pipping yet. I'm just glad they are hatching after the kiddies played with them after lockdown. My sister went and bought stuff for a second bator lol she just wants to hatch chicks now.

Sounds like you got it right----now decrease the black knob a little at the time till it gets to 99.5 to 100. If it does that-----you ready to get some eggs into it.

Thank you PD-Riverman!!! You are Awsome!!!! Everything worked just like you said and temp is now holding at 99.8! The wafer and the electronic thermostat are both working. Ready for my eggs to come tomorrow!
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif

Thank you PD-Riverman!!! You are Awsome!!!! Everything worked just like you said and temp is now holding at 99.8! The wafer and the electronic thermostat are both working. Ready for my eggs to come tomorrow!
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif
Great!! Now you should never have to "mess" with the wafer thermostat----its a safety, But if the electronic one was to hang on---the wafer will not allow the temp to go over the "high" set, but you could in a emergenct turn the wafer in a little to lower the them to around 100 till you could get through the hatch or replace the electronic one. Get the hatcher plugged in and tested----You will like that. Get the humidity right----put some eggs in the incubator---make sure you write the date down-----I use a calender----I write SET on the calender the day I put them in------then the next day is 1, 2 the next, etc. "I" candle on day 18 for the final time and put them in the hatcher which has a higher humidity. Good Luck. Keep us informed!

Great!! Now you should never have to "mess" with the wafer thermostat----its a safety, But if the electronic one was to hang on---the wafer will not allow the temp to go over the "high" set, but you could in a emergenct turn the wafer in a little to lower the them to around 100 till you could get through the hatch or replace the electronic one. Get the hatcher plugged in and tested----You will like that. Get the humidity right----put some eggs in the incubator---make sure you write the date down-----I use a calender----I write SET on the calender the day I put them in------then the next day is 1, 2 the next, etc. "I" candle on day 18 for the final time and put them in the hatcher which has a higher humidity. Good Luck. Keep us informed!

Would you know which electronic thermostat would work for that bator and would any wafer thermostat work?

Would you know which electronic thermostat would work for that bator and would any wafer thermostat work?
There are several electronic ones that could replace it---and just a standard wafer would replace it as long as the temp is the only thing it has to control. Yours sounds like its working good---so you are good to go---it can last for years. If you ever need a replacement----go to GQF web site and they will probably have exact replacement.

I've been tinkering with an old Incubator I bought at an auction. Just to make sure it would work when I need it and be at the right temp and humidity. I almost freaked out earlier when it read 78 degrees. Then I remembered I unplugged it this morning. ha

Orschelyn's is where I got mine. TSC, Atwoods same thing. Even Wal-Mart carries nice digital hydrometer/thermometer for under $20. They have a little cord that allows it to fit through a window/bator. Mine goes through a vent hole on the bottom. No need to open the bator.

Back
Top Bottom