Incubators for beginners $? $#

R3dnck

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2016
South Carolina
So what is an ideal incubator for a beginner? What are some of the better brands and what are the best for a budget? Or does anyone have any plans on how to build your own incubator? All imput is appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

South Carolina R3dnck

I personally don't use incubators, but reading here on byc it seems that many members feel that brinsea incubators are very good for beginners and simply good, full stop! Reading a similar thread a couple of days ago, a member posted that budget incubators are a false economy, and they that they had spent more on their incubator in the first place. You get what you pay for, I guess.

I'm sure there must be threads on building your own incubator. Maybe search "diy incubators" here on byc?

All the best

Ct

So what is an ideal incubator for a beginner? What are some of the better brands and what are the best for a budget? Or does anyone have any plans on how to build your own incubator? All imput is appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

South Carolina R3dnck
Welcome to BYC. When I started my flock 3 years ago, I started with a home made incubator. Very easy to build. If you could re-wire a lamp if you had instructions, you could build an incubator. And, as far as I'm concerned, it's just as functional as one you could buy. In addition to your heat source, you'll need a decent quality thermostat, a fan, and a stable environment to put your incubator in. I recommend the STC 1000 for your thermostat. You'll also need to have a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer. Most importantly, you'll need knowledge of the process of incubation, both from the standpoint of keeping your incubator stable, and the physiology of development in the egg. You can get all that by reading: Hatching eggs 101 in the learning center. For your build, there is information there. But, you'll also greatly benefit from the many instructional video tutorials by Rush Lane Poultry. Plan to start with local eggs. That will save you a lot of heart break on your first hatch. Learn with inexpensive eggs before moving on to shipped or expensive eggs.

Back
Top Bottom