Incubators: Quail egg rail for bantam eggs?

Eel Noob

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
I'm looking to purchase my first incubator, and so far I have been eyeing the Farm Innovators Model 4200 Pro Series. My question is will I need a quail egg rail to hold Old English bantam eggs or will the regular one that comes with the incubator work just fine?

No the universal one for regular size eggs works for bantams.
I'd suggest you skip the incubator though. Maybe look at a gqr 1588. A bit more money but much better hatches from them. The farm innovations/Little giant wafer type thermostats are not the best. It's be better to spend a little extra and get one that works good the first time instead of having to do it later.
Good luck

I have the farm innovators you are looking at and it works great. It holds temperature perfectly well if you have a full load of eggs. It also helps in any incubator to add extra thermal mass in the form of water bags or jars if you have space as the more mass available to store the heat makes it hard for the temp to fluctuate.

My first hatch in this incubator was 66%which I find quite successful for a first attempt. It would have been 70% but I had 3 die during hatching because the hatched chicks pushed shell pieces over them and they dried on preventing the chicks from getting out of their eggs.
Ignore the naysayers of these incubators as they work fine if you do your part. Run it for a few days prior to setting your eggs to be sure it is holding good temps and keep it in a room of consistent temperature. A basement works best as it doesn't get sun exposure. I have a thread on here reviewing these incubators and other have posted their good experiences as well.
My only warning is to buy a trustworthy thermostat and hygrometer as the ones provided with these incubators aren't accurate at all.

Back
Top Bottom