Incuview Incubator

Pics
We just got one of these and have set our first batch of eggs!  :)   We set small eggs (Serama) and the automatic turner isn't really 'turning' them.  They're just scooting along side-to-side so we're having to hand turn them anyway which kinda defeats the purpose.  We didn't notice this 'scooting' rather than turning right away - when we candled them a few days ago they were definitely developing 'stuck' on one side of the shell.  I have since been hand turning them and trying to get them to develop more evenly in the shell (if that makes sense).

Are these developing eggs goners now?  :(

One of the reasons we got this one was that you could supposedly use it with quail and other small eggs.  Anyone  have advice for us?  Otherwise we're happy with it (temp and humidity holds well and the view is great.
I recently hatched serama eggs I had to turn the runner function up to 100% before it would turn the eggs.

We just got one of these and have set our first batch of eggs!
smile.png
We set small eggs (Serama) and the automatic turner isn't really 'turning' them. They're just scooting along side-to-side so we're having to hand turn them anyway which kinda defeats the purpose. We didn't notice this 'scooting' rather than turning right away - when we candled them a few days ago they were definitely developing 'stuck' on one side of the shell. I have since been hand turning them and trying to get them to develop more evenly in the shell (if that makes sense).

Are these developing eggs goners now?
sad.png

One of the reasons we got this one was that you could supposedly use it with quail and other small eggs. Anyone have advice for us? Otherwise we're happy with it (temp and humidity holds well and the view is great.

We incubated Dutch Bantam eggs, which are probably the same size as Serama eggs, and, despite the temperature/hatch window problems described previously in this thread, achieved a 100% hatch rate. They seemed to turn fine, although the smaller eggs tended to "track" in an odd manner. It didn't make a difference in the end.

I do not think we monkeyed with the turner settings, but we did verify them before starting.

steve

No towel.

It ran right next to our Turn-X incubator, which did not have any temp regulation problems, so I can't blame room temp inconsistencies.

I would be interested to know your eggshell temp readings. I've been looking into utilizing an IR thermometer for other reasons, particularly to monitor late-stage embryo temps (which may suggest lowering the temperature toward the end of incubation).

Our house temperature is very consistent so I can't blame the room temperature. I'm thinking the thin plastic base allows for the outer areas to loose heat more than the center. The towel was just the perfect insulator for me to get more even readings. Pure speculation on my part though.

For giggles I just shot the outside side of the unit with the IR gun and it's reading 90 degrees so it definitely does lose heat. Good news is the heating unit does an excellent job of maintaining the heat although a better insulated base would be an energy saver. Downside is that it would add to the cost of the unit so I'm happy with a towel. I suppose one could roll up a towel the long way and wrap it around the sides for even more insulation?

Last edited:
Quote:
DH set up the incubator so I'll check with him about the runner function! We had a couple early quitters but of the ones that developed at least most of the way, it's probably been 90-95 hatch rate. We are moving them to a hatcher/brooder at lockdown so they're not actually hatching in that 'bator
Quote:
We forgot to hand turn them a bunch of times here and there so I'm guessing it probably didn't make a difference either :)

thanks, folks!

...I'm thinking the thin plastic base allows for the outer areas to loose heat more than the center...

...I suppose one could roll up a towel the long way and wrap it around the sides for even more insulation?

Our experience was that the center of the incubator, under the fan, was cooler than the perimeter by 2.5 degrees. So I would guess that insulating the sides would make the difference even greater, assuming that the fan draw is the cause of the center coolness.

steve

I'm wondering if using a circle of the aluminum water heater wrap (like bubble wrap) under the incubator would be helpful in more even temp in center of incubator. Also using a towel under bator. Does anyone use heat reflective material like this around incubators?

Leela

Back
Top Bottom