Incuview Incubator

Pics
Am just finishing a second hatch with this unit. Yesterday I realized that the wires from the control panel to the transformer thing on the side were too long. I realized that because a Black Java had hung itself between the two wires! Poor thing was limp and toes up. Oh my gosh! I grabbed the lid to see how best to extricate, and the chick jerked and fell free. It's fine now, good thing I felt the need to photograph it!

Wrapping the wires together and making them shorter in length will be my next chore. :)

1f627.png

Fired up my two Incuview for the first time. I just got the two newly designed fan covers and hopefully they will work as promised!

A few questions for the experienced Incuview users.

1.) Can you recommend a hygrometer to use inside the unit in addition to the factory unit? Do you find the factory installed unit to be at all accurate? My two units side by side are reading almost the same, plug out at 54-56%
I am in New Hampshire, so the relative humidity has been high. Should I put a dehumidifier in the incubator room? It is around 70F in there, pretty consistent. Thinking of just dry incubating until lock down.

2.) Should I be using a wet bulb thermometer, and how do I do that with these incubators? Can you recommend what type and brand to buy?

3.) I have 60+ eggs, although I can edit them down before placing in incubators. Should I just put them all in and hand turn for the first week or so until first candling? 3X a day a good amount?

4.) Should I wrap towels around units to insulate them?

I am using all eggs collected here at home, fertility is good based on my friend hatching 100+ chicks over the past 2 months from my eggs.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to my first hatches of Ameraucanas, Olive Eggers, Easter Eggers and Speckled Sussex!

Thanks friends!

Leela

I use a GQF digital hygrometer and thermometer to double check unit readouts...I also use a mechanical kitchen probe in the vent plug that I can calibrate easily to check and compare to the digital. I find that the unit holds heat with no problems and do not have to use any extra insulation. I also find that humidity is easily raised and maintained if you desire to do so. I'm not sure why you would hand turn the eggs instead of just using the unit as is and candle as often as you like. The temperature recovers and holds well so opening the lid is not much of an issue. I personally measure the air sack to accurately tell me where the eggs are in the incubation process and only adjust humidity if I am running significantly behind or ahead. I do prefer to sit the eggs upright in a carton for the last few days to reduce the chance of wrong end piping...which I only have issues with runner ducks that pretty much have a round shell. Three times a day for had turning is sufficient is what you would like to do. I think some folks have bought hydrometers in the reptile section of department stores with good success and fairly inexpensive...a GQF will be $20-$25 online if you look around. If you have any questions or concerns at all about the incubator unit please email the company directly as they are prompt and more than willing to help you with those things. I also make sure the probe on the unit is in line with the top of my eggs and has been accurate all spring. If you find the unit warmer in the corners then you can move the eggs around when you candle...which is always what I have done and have had no issues. I find that it is not temperamental at all and does just what I ask it to do.

Back
Top Bottom