Indecisive hen. What to do?

munchkinlover

Songster
Oct 6, 2019
NW Arkansas
My sweet Australorp, Molly, has been setting on eggs, BUT, I will see her in one nest box for a few days and then change to another box. Do I need to do something to keep her with the same eggs? I would appreciate some feedback! Thanks!

I had a bantam who used to do this, it was so frustrating! I just went and checked on her often, but you could put curtains in front of the other nesting boxes, or close the hen in and let her out once or twice a day (I did this with her on occasion, it worked great). It is definitely important to keep her on one set of eggs consistently.

Are all the eggs in the same box? If they're not I would just move them to the other one. If they are all in the same box, maybe close the other one off?
I have 9 hens and 3 nesting boxes. They all get used, plus I usually get 8-9 eggs a day. I tried adding more eggs when she stepped out, and I have just simply left her alone on 3 or 4, but I am at a loss.

I have 9 hens and 3 nesting boxes. They all get used, plus I usually get 8-9 eggs a day. I tried adding more eggs when she stepped out, and I have just simply left her alone on 3 or 4, but I am at a loss.
I don't know why I assumed there was only one chicken. So maybe, if you can distinguish this hen's eggs, move them all to one box. And if you catch her in the wrong box move her? I'm probably not the best person for this, just what I would do.

If you want her to successfully hatch the eggs, then she needs to keep sitting on the SAME eggs all the time.

It might be best to limit her options--maybe use a wire dog crate inside the coop, or a separate coop? If you've got somewhere suitable for when the chicks hatch, you could try moving her there now. Obviously, provide her with a nestbox, the right eggs, and a source of food and water.

If you want her to successfully hatch the eggs, then she needs to keep sitting on the SAME eggs all the time.

It might be best to limit her options--maybe use a wire dog crate inside the coop, or a separate coop? If you've got somewhere suitable for when the chicks hatch, you could try moving her there now. Obviously, provide her with a nestbox, the right eggs, and a source of food and water.
Tonight I laughed because the nest she left had 5 eggs in it. 4 belonged to my Eggers (blue) and only 1 was brown, probably hers. Who knows????

I don't know why I assumed there was only one chicken. So maybe, if you can distinguish this hen's eggs, move them all to one box. And if you catch her in the wrong box move her? I'm probably not the best person for this, just what I would do.
I actually tried to shove her out of the box. I can only easily access it from the outside in back. I couldn't do it. She was not going to leave. Thank you for responding!

The problem with putting all the current eggs in the one nest is that the other hens are going to continue to lay new eggs in your broodies clutch and the other nests. Leading to staggered batch, meaning not all eggs due to hatch at the same time.
your hen may be being bullied from her nest by the other more dominate hens.
She may also be returning to the nest after her daily break to eat drink and deficate, only to find it occupied by someone else. Then choosing a different nest.
The best solution is to move her (after dark) with her eggs, to a secluded location where she can be undisturbed for three weeks.

Back
Top Bottom