1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indian Runner Duck Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by suburbanducks, Oct 12, 2014.

1. suburbanducks

suburbanducks New Egg

Oct 12, 2014
    I have a year old black Indian Runner female, a three month old black Indian Runner drake, and a black australorp pullet. Two weeks ago my pullet started laying eggs, but our Indian Runner has not (that we know of) layed any eggs. They have been living together for half a year, eat and drink the same food and water, and have been together the whole time, free range of course. Should she be laying eggs?

2. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Are you sure she is a she?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is the drake on top of her much of the time? Too much mating can interfere with laying.

Is she getting supplemental calcium?

4. suburbanducks

suburbanducks New Egg

Oct 12, 2014
    We are very sure she is a she. [​IMG] (not a picture of her but a close match)

Our drake followed her around but we have not seen them mating. Should I try to remove him from her habitat?

She and my pullet are both eating calcium pellets and bugs from around the yard.

5. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    She has curled tail feathers on the back like the picture?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Does she quack loudly?

Sometimes there are ducks with interesting hormone balances. Not often, but sometimes.

7. suburbanducks

suburbanducks New Egg

Oct 12, 2014
    Her tail feathers are relatively flat. She quacks quite loudly, but there is not much difference between my chicken's "screeching" volume and her regular quack. She doesn't quack frequently though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by