Indian Runner Duck House Plan

poultrycrazy711

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Hi. I am planning to be keeping about 6-7 Indian Runner Ducks and I need a duck house plan that is on the cheap side but good quality. Can someone please post a plan or a website that I can get one on? Thanks.

You really don't need much of a plan (she says not doing the actual construction herself). A front door that you can open and close. We have ours slide, but you could use hinges. Then you need a bigger door (we have it in the back, but you could use the side) that opens fully so that you can get in and shovel/scoop out the shavings. The fewer ridges you have the easier it is to clean. And you need lots and lots of ventilation. We have the top of the walls covered in wire. Once we solved the ventilation problem, the duck house smelled less and we didn't have to clean it as often.

The first house my husband built was framed on the inside with plywood on the outside. It left so many ridges and ribs that filled with duck poop that was hard to clean. There was also a ridge around the floor and that made sweeping out the shavings a pain.

This is actually a dog house that was on the property that he cut down (it must have been for a great dane) and modified. The ramp has plastic and cross pieces on it so that they don't slip.

We have magpies and not indian runners, but I think they are handled basically the same way. We keep food and water outside of their house. We clean it once a week.

The only difference with runners is their height. If you are not building something that allows standings room you want a little bit of a taller house since they are upright.
Search for duck house, there are tons of plans on BYC or the internet. Alot depends on where you are. Your location is going to determine what type of shelter they need. Heat, cold, wet weather, predators all factor in to your needs.

And
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom