Indian runner duck is fluffed up and irritated

Breannemoreno

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2023
Hi all!
This is my first year with adult runner ducks. I have 8 ladies. Last week, we didn't collect eggs regularly due to crazy work schedules. One of my ducks, pebbles, became what we thought was broody. She was severely agitated and rarely left the nest. I started collecting the eggs again and it seemed to fix her broody issue. Now however, I'm noticing she's still acting agitated and she's missing some of her tail feathers. I'll post a picture, but she is flufffed up compared to my other girls. She looks a little crazy haha. Is this molting? I did notice an excess of feathers in the coop while she was broody, but she's been out foraging with the other ladies again and not nest bound. What could this be? Thanks so much!
A3AA0323-056F-4EED-9F58-1A6AC359CE66.jpeg

Attachments

• AE66C480-AB2D-4CB7-8A93-6E8761F7C45B.jpeg
    AE66C480-AB2D-4CB7-8A93-6E8761F7C45B.jpeg
    649.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi all!
This is my first year with adult runner ducks. I have 8 ladies. Last week, we didn't collect eggs regularly due to crazy work schedules. One of my ducks, pebbles, became what we thought was broody. She was severely agitated and rarely left the nest. I started collecting the eggs again and it seemed to fix her broody issue. Now however, I'm noticing she's still acting agitated and she's missing some of her tail feathers. I'll post a picture, but she is flufffed up compared to my other girls. She looks a little crazy haha. Is this molting? I did notice an excess of feathers in the coop while she was broody, but she's been out foraging with the other ladies again and not nest bound. What could this be? Thanks so much! View attachment 3786605
she has no other symptoms? Here's a cool diagnostic chart
http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/diagnostic chart.htm
maybe she's just stressed out that you un-broodied her .

That’s how my Muscovy look when broody the come out of the coop looking like a sumo wrestler ready to kick butt. They also pull down out to fluff their nests. Even if I take all eggs away it takes time for the hormones to calm back down to were they are normal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom