1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Indian Runner duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BK79, Feb 13, 2013.

1. BK79

BK79 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    I have 2 indian runners male and female...I bought them last july at a farm show. The female has not layed an egg yet...
    It's on layer pellets all these months. When I bought her she looked to be about 4 months atleast. Owner said she was about that...
    do some ducks just not lay eggs? makes no sense!
    eats very well, both of them.
    i know they are both male and female cause they have complete different quack sounds...one is hoarser and one is louder.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Laying is not always straightforward.

Some things to consider:

Is the drake mating with her a lot? That can interfere with laying
    What temperature is their shelter?
    Does she also have free choice oyster shell? Some ducks just need more calcium
    What hemisphere are you in? Is it winter or summer where you are?
    Does she get fresh greens regularly? I think that can help get them going.

3. BK79

BK79 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    I haven't seen them mate now for a few months. No free choice oyster shell, cause the drake gets in there and eats it too. I wanted to put her on 4% layer pellet but drake will eat it as well. They follow each other EVERYWHERE!!! no way of seperating them. If I take pick the female duck up and carry her off a bit, he starts to quack coarsely.
    Southern Ontario, they get fresh greens as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by