Indian Runners: Very small?

Call this just an excuse to post a cute video, but let's just say the size difference is apparent in the video, so it's relevant to this thread. ;)

This was the first swim for all of them (Water at exactly 90 degrees), and when I put them back under the lamp, they all preened properly and got nice and dry. I think I have non-defective ducks!

So adorable!:loveI loved the sound of the splashing water and their little chirps as well.

I have an update! The runners have finally hit a growth spurt, and they're finally standing tall like runners should. Wendy and Peter (Since they refused to grow up for so long, and I don't care if I end up with a female Peter) seem to be doing very well, though the rouens do push them out of the way for treats (Limited mealworms, decent amount of peas, kale, brussel sprouts, chard, dandelion greens, or blueberries: I rotate the menu daily). However, the runners seem to actually like being held, unlike any of the others... So I pick them up to make sure they get their share. The rouens and khakis are beginning to make quack-adjacent noises. Duck house in backyard is almost finished. They're headed outside within the next couple of weeks. They grow up so fast!

Now I have to pray to the duck gods that I have 1 or 2 males maximum... And hopefully the rouens aren't drakes! The rest of the ducks will be so small by comparison.

Attachments

• PXL_20210418_201215052.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210418_201215052.MP.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20210418_201244885.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210418_201244885.MP.jpg
    587.5 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20210418_201229337.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210418_201229337.MP.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20210418_201232465.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210418_201232465.MP.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 11
hey guys! I JUST found this thread.... I have a fawn and white runner that is teeny tiny too :( and not growing like I’d like. How did your babies fare over the weeks?
They've hit a couple of growth spurts. They're not as big as my khaki campbells or rouens, but they're finally starting to feather (As you can see, the other ones are almost fully feathered!). Based on my experience, I'd say they probably stay ducklings a little longer than other varieties.

They got to go swimming outside for the first time yesterday.

Attachments

• PXL_20210502_224736189.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210502_224736189.MP.jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210502_230835648.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210502_230835648.MP.jpg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 9
They've hit a couple of growth spurts. They're not as big as my khaki campbells or rouens, but they're finally starting to feather (As you can see, the other ones are almost fully feathered!). Based on my experience, I'd say they probably stay ducklings a little longer than other varieties.

They got to go swimming outside for the first time yesterday.
Oh my goodness THANK YOU! This is the best thing to see and hear. I’m totally babying this little duckling... she’s probably wondering why I’m shoving food in her face every 2 hours 😬
your babies are ADOREABLE.

Oh my goodness THANK YOU! This is the best thing to see and hear. I’m totally babying this little duckling... she’s probably wondering why I’m shoving food in her face every 2 hours 😬
your babies are ADOREABLE.
Other than when I'm hand-feeding treats, I don't do anything different for the runners. When I hand-feed, I make sure they get some, and if they get pushed out of the way, I pick them up and feed them treats separately to make sure they get their fair share. One of the runners is in love with me (the smaller one) and she got a little cold after swimming outside. She walked right up to me, and I picked her up and held her to warm her up. In fact, the runners are the only two who don't whine about being picked up. If I decide to expand in the future, I'll probably include more runners.

Other than when I'm hand-feeding treats, I don't do anything different for the runners. When I hand-feed, I make sure they get some, and if they get pushed out of the way, I pick them up and feed them treats separately to make sure they get their fair share. One of the runners is in love with me (the smaller one) and she got a little cold after swimming outside. She walked right up to me, and I picked her up and held her to warm her up. In fact, the runners are the only two who don't whine about being picked up. If I decide to expand in the future, I'll probably include more runners.
Seriously! Awwww yay 😭 I’m really really really hoping that my little Juniper is going to make It, and turn out like yours! She loves sitting on my lap. her sisters (broodermates) already aren’t that into sitting with me.

Back
Top Bottom