INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

So now that she is processed, how long do I need to keep her in the fridge? I tried to skin the feet to use for stock, but it didn't not want to leave the legs, so I tossed them. I kept the back, wings and neck for stock. Heart and liver. Gizzard I didn't want to mess with. She is wrapped in saran wrap in the fridge atm.

Thank you so much for offering this video for us to watch. It made the hard process so much easier than I thought it would be.
Our flock numbers were cut in half yesterday as processed our meat birds and 2 of our roos. I keep the birds in the fridge for 2-3 days before freezing them. I feel them to see if rigor has fully released before they go to the freezer. Hope that helps!

I watch that same video as a "refresher" each time we process. It's one of the best. Yesterday, my dad came to help us out since we had so many of them to do-I made him watch the video as well!

One thing I am sure of. That no matter their "end", I have given my birds a very good life, the best feeds and housing I can afford, etc. I think that is true of most of us that have backyard flocks.
goodpost.gif

So true! So many people I know can't fathom eating something we raised. That's exactly how I explain it to people-I know they lived a great life, were well cared for and respectively processed. And in the end when they're all packaged up, I don't know if I'm cooking the roo that attacked me or my favorite meatie-Curious George.

M2H: Peanut, our bantam black orpington, has not been docile a day in her life. She was a packing peanut for our cream legbar chicks and looked like a tiny fuzzy penguin when she arrived. She used to stand in the middle of the brooder corral and 'scream' for seemingly no reason. Now, even though she’s the smallest, she lets everybody know that she’s not going to be at the bottom of the pecking order.

toodlesmom: My condolences on baby Toodles. It sounds like he was a very special guy. We are lucky when sweet furry beings like him grace us with their affection.

bradselig: your chick pictures are terribly cute. Please stop posting them--I can barely keep myself from coming over and getting four or five for our house!

hogster: your hawk attack was very eye opening. We think about getting the girls out of the run and putting them in the garden to free range. We have many hawks in our area, and most of our girls are <6 lbs. I think they would all be in jeopardy if we did that. I completely understand about the dread that one of the chickens would suffer because I am a new chicken parent. I have that, too.

Zippy722: congrats on your hatch. Louise seems like a very good mama.

Ccccccchickens- OUCH on that being your hens first egg. It was just huge. My red sex-link, Lucy, lays eggs that size every day. I just don't know how such a small girl can manage it. They were a little watery when she started, but they are perfect now.

Mother2Hens- Thank you for suggesting that book again. Amazon will ship that and the Dummies book to me in two days. So happy!

Also, the idea of the memory book that you posted was beautiful. I lost my grandma, her mother, and most of her siblings to Alzheimer's and its scary thinking it is probably in my future. Thinking of things like this to make someone more comfortable is really awesome.

Your pic of the bobcat made me remember something. We have a bobcat in the neighborhood too. My neighbors told me they saw it "playing" with a squirrel and I thought it was probably just a really big cat. WRONG. I saw it run across our road the other day and it was definitely not a large cat. Its so different and still looks pretty young. It has made me all kinds of nervous for my animals.

Your brown girl pics are gorgeous!

PeacefulWalls- That was a lovely poem. It made me all teary.

Kabhyper1- Your chick pics are really cute! Having them in the house is just what my MIL thinks I do all the time. I should "borrow" your pic and tell her we did too! My MIL is awesome, but it would be fun to tease. Love my chickens but they would get run over in the house.

Jchny2000- I hope everything went well with your dad and congratulations on your chicks!

Hi Zippy! Your roos are just beautiful and the pics of Louise and the babies are just awesome.

Old Salt- " I have been skimming the posts, but not taking the time to make my usual snide comments and endlessly blathering on about stuff that happened 50 or 60 years ago." Could you get a move on and get back here? Your posts are actually a reason to turn on the computer in the morning. I've been absent too much lately, but a day without your snide comments is like eating food without SALT
hmm.png

We worked really hard on the coop and yard this weekend. My husband finally finished the cupola on the top. When he first put it up, I told him there were gaps in the roofline that had to be fixed. He said they are fine, I mean what's getting up there? Well, bats, mice, wild birds, etc...we do live in the woods. So he fixed that up and now my birds have great ventilation without direct wind. The windows for the front are ordered and should be here soon. They just have the galvanized wire in them at the moment.

My little AS girl is doing better. I've been keeping her in a crate inside of the coop so that she's not lonely, but yesterday when I took her out, she was standing gingerly on her one leg, but was able to walk around a bit. I put her in the tractor so that she could get some ground time and it worked out great. Nobody bothered her, but they did visit. At night, she went back into the crate. It might be a good system until she is fully recovered.

I reworked all of the roosts this weekend. Since my birds kept flying up to my shelf, I decided to let them have it. It is now a poop board for their roost. I also noticed that the others are being nicer to my bantam Ameraucana, Bella, now. They let her squish into the corner instead of chasing her off. I also put a poop board above the nesting boxes and a roost on that. Now the floor will stay cleaner and the AS boys will stay out of the nesting boxes. They kept trying to poop in them at night when the big birds ran them off the other roosts. The only problem with all this reworking is that its too cold for me to paint. Now the inside of the coop is offending my senses with its lack of paint and too many poo splatters. Seriously, how do they get poo on the roof??? Its eight feet high!

Here are some pics:
My favorite chick. She looks like a rainbow exploded on her.

Our pretty Fiona.

Visiting hours.

Poop boards are just gross, but the mudding spatula does make them easy to clean. The sand should stay a lot cleaner now. I can't wait to paint again!

Now the nesting boxes are hidden. We will put some curtains up to liven up the place, lol.

This was my shelf, but the chickens never understood anyway.

I'm pretty sure they are boys, but Appenzeller Spitzhaubens sure are good looking.

Bella squished in the corner. Good thing I didn't name her Baby.

Happy Veterans Day all!

Last edited:
Yes, it is OK to eat the meat with the wounds. I would cook it first, though.
tongue.png

John

Woot good to know. I'm thinking chicken and dumplings! I worked with a man several years back, who was in the Vietnam War. He told me so many stories about only being able to eat raw chicken, that he could never eat meat again. He would visible get the shakes from my lunch. I felt so bad for him.
Will you eat the meat right away or freeze it for later? I have heard to let it rest anywhere from 48 hours all the way to a full week. The main thing is for it to relax after the initial rigor.

Glad the video helped. I will likely get it out every time to refresh since I've only done it one time! If we have housing next spring we'll do some for meat.

I will be making chicken and dumplings by the end of the week! Yes I saved his video, will use it for the rest of the birds. I think we can do them now and not have to pay someone to process them for us.
You're right smack in the middle of the lake effect watch aren't you? Elkhart county is just expected to have a coating or so, according to last night's forecast on WNDU. Stay safe with the snow -- build a snowman for your chickens & post a picture of them together! I am so jealous of all your leaves. Our land was a cornfield before we built here and our trees were just planted last year. Needless to say, we're lacking leaves. I used to work tons of them into my garden beds and I would so love to have them again for that and now for the chickens. I know there's plenty out there at other people's houses but I don't have time to collect them door to door!
Yes we are. Actually we are about 4 miles of Laporte County line, so we listen for both counties. Sometimes we get nothing they call for and other times we get blasted when they didn't call for it at all lol. These guys really don't know how to read mother nature very well. My poor chicken yard looks like nothing but leaves! they are adjusting lol. As far as the leaves go, make a flyer to put up at the grocery store. Set one day aside to go pick up all bagged leaves. Might be worth the time in bedding alone.

OH...Thought I'd add that I think that culling or even processing birds for meat seems like it will always be an emotional thing that I'm not sure I will ever be able to say I "enjoy". Never even thought I'd try my hand at it but I felt that if I were going to have chickens that I needed to know how and be able to do it as part of taking responsibility for the well-being of the flock.

When I was growing up our animals were all "friends"...not farm animals. It's been a real shift for me in thinking to view my animals as "farm animals" that are for the purpose of feeding the family. I've made a point of making a direct effort of making that transition in thinking but it was/is not an easy transition! I'm sure I'll always have some of the chickens that are "pets" - ones that have that special place which is different than all the rest.

And I definitely know that there are LOTS of folks that relate to their chickens as pets only and will always relate to them that way. I think that having pets that give you healthy eggs and a great deal of enjoyment is wonderful!

When we had our hands-on training to process chickens with our friends, the chickens we processed were complete strangers to us so it wasn't like taking one of our very small flock of layers that we are "buddies" with and processing them. I know there will come a day when that will be necessary as I won't just keep them when they aren't productive (unless one is a special "pet"), but I really think that will be a very hard thing to do.

I heard of two families that made a "pact" regarding processing their old laying flock. They decided that when the time came, each would process the other's birds rather than process their own. That way it wouldn't be so personal since they had very small flocks...and when you have a very small flock you really "know" those birds personalities, quirks, etc., which kind-of endears them to your heart. I thought that was a very interesting idea and one that has a lot of merit if you're going to process your old layers.

One thing I am sure of. That no matter their "end", I have given my birds a very good life, the best feeds and housing I can afford, etc. I think that is true of most of us that have backyard flocks.
Wow that is exactly how I feel. Did you read my mind when you typed that? lol I'm truly a city girl at heart who lives in the country. Ive lived here for almost 17 years and just recently decided to do the whole garden/animals to feed my family. Had a garden the first couple of years but that was it. Now with all the bad stuff being done to our food supply I honestly feel its not safe for my family to consume on a regular basis. So my garden, chickens and cows. My neighbor raises cows. All grass fed no grain. No hormones or meds. I see them daily as they are across the road from me. Now if I can find someone who raised pigs like that I would be in good shape.

With all of the birds, layers and meaties, I look at them and see food. I had to, no pets here. There is always a chance of something happening. So mentally i had to make it be food not pets. Will I be sad when it happens, heck yea. But my animals are for food. I have to look at it like that or none would be food lol. They will still live fat and happy lives, but food they are.

PW - I'm right on the edge of lake effect but last I heard it's supposed to go more southwestish rather than direct west and possibly totally miss our area. Our gift to hogster
tongue.png

I'm actually up by Bendix Woods, between us 31 and us 94 right where the snow squall is supposed to dump several inches. Thanks, got the snow blower ready! That's about it though lol Next time its my gift to you hahaha
Hogster - on the coyotes, do you know how much your neighbor paid to have someone take them out? And was it just a hunter he knew?
I do know its a friend of theirs, he is contracted between them to stay on top of their litters. I can ask them to find out who and what he charges if you are close and interested.

M2H: Peanut, our bantam black orpington, has not been docile a day in her life. She was a packing peanut for our cream legbar chicks and looked like a tiny fuzzy penguin when she arrived. She used to stand in the middle of the brooder corral and 'scream' for seemingly no reason. Now, even though she’s the smallest, she lets everybody know that she’s not going to be at the bottom of the pecking order.

toodlesmom: My condolences on baby Toodles. It sounds like he was a very special guy. We are lucky when sweet furry beings like him grace us with their affection.

bradselig: your chick pictures are terribly cute. Please stop posting them--I can barely keep myself from coming over and getting four or five for our house!

hogster: your hawk attack was very eye opening. We think about getting the girls out of the run and putting them in the garden to free range. We have many hawks in our area, and most of our girls are <6 lbs. I think they would all be in jeopardy if we did that. I completely understand about the dread that one of the chickens would suffer because I am a new chicken parent. I have that, too.

Zippy722: congrats on your hatch. Louise seems like a very good mama.
Mine free range all day every day. They do have a coop and several places that offer shelter if they needed it. But the meaties area has less to offer in protection, its more of an open area with places further out, but they do have some shelter. They were actually out in the back corn field yesterday (the corn has been cut and they were having a blast) , and I should have called them in as I noticed the crows were not around. That's the only time I have seen a hawk here since we have had chickens. Normally we have so many crows 30+ daily. Not a single one yesterday. I will be more aware from now on. She was one of the medium sized meat birds, yet still to heavy to go for a fly I'm guessing. (We got about 4lbs of meat from her ) Or my dogs just scared the stupid hawk off. They were indeed going nuts, and I knew I had a problem. I honestly figured one of the meat birds flew into the dogs yard. My dogs did real good though, I am very happy they were outside. I have been lucky, I figure. I am indeed thankful we haven't lost more.

I don't know if I would free range mine if we had more hawks than crows. Things might be very different for them. I have heard of people being outside in the chicken run and having hawks fly right in and take one. Crazy. Scarey thought. We like to live and let live. But when they mess with my lively hood, I would have to do something different. I made a run for my sick EE girl. Its made of 2x2 and hardware cloth. You might be able to make something like that for them to go out into the garden with. That way they still get out and get the good stuff and they give you the good stuff in return, right where you need it most, the garden. A couple of hours out in that and all will be good. For both you and the chickens.

Yes that noob dread. Just the thought of one of them hurting because I didn't know to check. Yes that gets to me. These girls and boys could so easily be my pets. It is a daily choice to see them as food. lol And I have to, it was part of the deal with my hubby. He said I could never kill one if it was needed. or if it was sick. So far he is right lol. He did the killing last night. But I did surprise him by helping with the feathers and hold the bird while he gutted it. I also took the heart and liver. He did the rest. So he was proud of me. And when that time comes that its my turn. Meaning he's not here, or my kids aren't here (they hunt) I know I can do it now. Their suffering won't endure because I can't do it. And if I'm going to have farm animals, I need to be what they need me to be. Protector, friend, feeder and when the time comes culler.

I just want to thank everyone who helped me through this and after the cull. It was a crazy day yesterday. You are all some good people.

Well,my two welsummer "pullets" I bought at 2 months old are crowing in the backyard. And I'm pretty sure 2 of the 4 RIR "pullets" will be joining them.
That stinks, I hate when people sell birds dishonestly. Or even if they didn't know theywere cockerels, they should of just said they were strait run. BTW I like your username. My name is Keesha, It is just spelled different!

Ccccccchickens- OUCH on that being your hens first egg. It was just huge. My red sex-link, Lucy, lays eggs that size every day. I just don't know how such a small girl can manage it. They were a little watery when she started, but they are perfect now.

Mother2Hens- Thank you for suggesting that book again. Amazon will ship that and the Dummies book to me in two days. So happy!

Also, the idea of the memory book that you posted was beautiful. I lost my grandma, her mother, and most of her siblings to Alzheimer's and its scary thinking it is probably in my future. Thinking of things like this to make someone more comfortable is really awesome.

Your pic of the bobcat made me remember something. We have a bobcat in the neighborhood too. My neighbors told me they saw it "playing" with a squirrel and I thought it was probably just a really big cat. WRONG. I saw it run across our road the other day and it was definitely not a large cat. Its so different and still looks pretty young. It has made me all kinds of nervous for my animals.

Your brown girl pics are gorgeous!

PeacefulWalls- That was a lovely poem. It made me all teary.

Kabhyper1- Your chick pics are really cute! Having them in the house is just what my MIL thinks I do all the time. I should "borrow" your pic and tell her we did too! My MIL is awesome, but it would be fun to tease. Love my chickens but they would get run over in the house.

Jchny2000- I hope everything went well with your dad and congratulations on your chicks!

Hi Zippy! Your roos are just beautiful and the pics of Louise and the babies are just awesome.

Old Salt- " I have been skimming the posts, but not taking the time to make my usual snide comments and endlessly blathering on about stuff that happened 50 or 60 years ago." Could you get a move on and get back here? Your posts are actually a reason to turn on the computer in the morning. I've been absent too much lately, but a day without your snide comments is like eating food without SALT
hmm.png

We worked really hard on the coop and yard this weekend. My husband finally finished the cupola on the top. When he first put it up, I told him there were gaps in the roofline that had to be fixed. He said they are fine, I mean what's getting up there? Well, bats, mice, wild birds, etc...we do live in the woods. So he fixed that up and now my birds have great ventilation without direct wind. The windows for the front are ordered and should be here soon. They just have the galvanized wire in them at the moment.

My little AS girl is doing better. I've been keeping her in a crate inside of the coop so that she's not lonely, but yesterday when I took her out, she was standing gingerly on her one leg, but was able to walk around a bit. I put her in the tractor so that she could get some ground time and it worked out great. Nobody bothered her, but they did visit. At night, she went back into the crate. It might be a good system until she is fully recovered.

I reworked all of the roosts this weekend. Since my birds kept flying up to my shelf, I decided to let them have it. It is now a poop board for their roost. I also noticed that the others are being nicer to my bantam Ameraucana, Bella, now. They let her squish into the corner instead of chasing her off. I also put a poop board above the nesting boxes and a roost on that. Now the floor will stay cleaner and the AS boys will stay out of the nesting boxes. They kept trying to poop in them at night when the big birds ran them off the other roosts. The only problem with all this reworking is that its too cold for me to paint. Now the inside of the coop is offending my senses with its lack of paint and too many poo splatters. Seriously, how do they get poo on the roof??? Its eight feet high!

Here are some pics:
My favorite chick. She looks like a rainbow exploded on her.

Our pretty Fiona.

Visiting hours.

Poop boards are just gross, but the mudding spatula does make them easy to clean. The sand should stay a lot cleaner now. I can't wait to paint again!

Now the nesting boxes are hidden. We will put some curtains up to liven up the place, lol.

This was my shelf, but the chickens never understood anyway.

I'm pretty sure they are boys, but Appenzeller Spitzhaubens sure are good looking.

Bella squished in the corner. Good thing I didn't name her Baby.

Happy Veterans Day all!
Ya, it was a pretty big egg. Since her first egg have been getting eggs every other dayfromn here she is currently the only chickens laying. Sometimes chicken size versus egg surprise can be shocking, but red sex link are a hybrid specifically bred for high egg production.

Its snowing! Its not sticking but maybe it will eventually. We are supposed to get 7 inches. Crossing my fingers that it does so maybe school can get cancelled tomorrow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom