INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I'm new to this site. I live in Indianapolis in the broad ripple area. I'm looking for a white or buff Orpington, a Brahmas and Welsummer. I would like one chick hen of these breeds.Does anyone know if I can find these chickens in Indianapolis area?

Last edited:
I need some advise about possibly shipping a live bird. Has anyone on here done that and how did it go. I know some of you have had birds shipped to you, how did they do it. It kinda makes me nervous, but he wont be going to far. Just from southern Indiana to northern Indiana. Does anyone have any suggestions PLEASE....... and thank you.

I need some advise about possibly shipping a live bird. Has anyone on here done that and how did it go. I know some of you have had birds shipped to you, how did they do it. It kinda makes me nervous, but he wont be going to far. Just from southern Indiana to northern Indiana. Does anyone have any suggestions PLEASE....... and thank you.

I've had adults and juveniles shipped from CO just fine and juvenile peafowl from SD just fine. They've done better than most shipped day Olds. Just put cucumber slices and bananas in and they will have some fluids from the cukes. I've had them make mash with feed and attach the container to the inside of the box. The only downside to that was it's messy when they get it on them. It hardens pretty bad too when dried. I have never shipped but have recvd. Hope I helped a little! ! ;) I'm sure it will be fine.

We have decided to sell our 2 complete hives & bee equipment. The kids did 4-H beekeeping in 2012. We loved the honey but just didn't enjoy dealing with the bees!

The hives were purchased new and only used from May 2012 - October 2012. We have stored them indoors since that time. Hives were primed & painted with white exterior paint. Our bee equipment includes a bee brush, 3 sets of brown helmet/veil, 1 set white helmet/veil, hive tool, smoker.

Complete hive (2 available) includes:
2 deep supers with frames, 2 shallow supers with frames, inner cover, outer cover, screened bottom board, queen excluder & 5 new shallow frames.

If anyone is interested in any of the equipment or a complete hive, please PM me. I have some pics & will give you prices.

I don't know if anyone on this thread has English BBS (blue) Orpingtons, but I'm trying to figure out a reasonable offer price for someone who is going out of chickens (to get back into horses full-time). Hatching egg price paid for them was about $6.50 each, so I figure a day old chick is worth about double that ($12-13), but I don't know how much a one year old hen should be valued at. I don't want to offer too much and get ripped off, but I don't want to lowball the owner, either. It's someone I've communicated with since last year, but they weren't NPIP so nothing happened. Now they are, but I'll probably still pick them up in person since they're grown. I'd be buying 3-4 of them.

I've seen photos, and they're pretty nice. I had not planned to breed blues, but thought I might give it a go since I have several black Orps now, and figure why not?

Thanks in advance!
If they are show chickens or show quality, they will cost more as demand really sets show chicken prices.

Here is how I would try to think of it.
Cost of the chick $12
Cost for room and board until the hen starts to lay. Once laying the value of the hen either stays the same or dips a bit for production breeds. For show breeds if you get a good looking bird out of molt it could increase the price.
Room and board here runs $1 a week per pullet. roosters eat more and actually cost more but the supply of roosters is so high that most of ours end up as table roos. Show roosters cost about $25 on the young side and as much as $75 for the winning roo at the show for a Heritage RIR. Or at least that is what I have gathered from their breed's thread on here. I have not shown so I can't sell a rooster for $75.

Now to add up the price: $12-$13 Chick + $25-$30 = $37 - $43 Assuming a full molt has not taken place.

For a Trio that was picked by a breeder to pair up the best qualities and produce better offspring, the price might be as high as $150 since the birds would be the higher quality birds and the breeder would have correctly paired them to decrease any faults in offspring. $200 for a quad. Breeding in a quad gets you started faster than a trio. Since the birds are blue, only half of the chicks will be blue so I recommend at least a quad.

Hope this helps.

We have decided to sell our 2 complete hives & bee equipment.  The kids did 4-H beekeeping in 2012. We loved the honey but just didn't enjoy dealing with the bees!

The hives were purchased new and only used from May 2012 - October 2012.  We have stored them indoors since that time.  Hives were primed & painted with white exterior paint.  Our bee equipment includes a bee brush, 3 sets of brown helmet/veil, 1 set white helmet/veil, hive tool, smoker.

[COLOR=444444]Complete hive (2 available) includes:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=444444]  2 deep supers with frames, 2 shallow supers with frames, inner cover, outer cover, screened bottom board, queen excluder & 5 new shallow frames.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=444444] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=444444]If anyone is interested in any of the equipment or a complete hive, please PM me.  I have some pics & will give you prices.[/COLOR]

Hello, I raise bees and only run two hives. Looking to add more. I'd be interested in the package. How much are you asking?

Hello, I raise bees and only run two hives. Looking to add more. I'd be interested in the package. How much are you asking?
Sent you a PM
smile.png

Jchny2000, what is the smaller grey bird in this pic? I know nothing about peas or guineas. I assumed it was juvenile pea but you know what they say about assumptions :rolleyes:
When I read your comment I remember seeing others female peas and they were gorgeous. This one has a crazy comb and nothing sticking up on its head. ( excuse my ignorance)

Last edited:
Jchny2000, what is the smaller grey bird in this pic? I know nothing about peas or guineas. I assumed it was juvenile pea but you know what they say about assumptions :rolleyes:
When I read your comment I remember seeing others female peas and they were gorgeous. This one has a crazy comb and nothing sticking up on its head. ( excuse my ignorance)

Lol!! Where??!! I only see 2 goats!?

Back
Top Bottom