INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

An on another note( can't believe I never figured this out before... So I've been having some laying issues.. None of my 25 hens have been laying for about three months or more... And today I was out there trying to figure out what I could do the a glimmer of light peeked over the shop/shed and I moved and happened to notice it hit just outside the run fence... Ding the shop/shed is on the south side and the coop/run is on the north side and the big ole shop is casting a giant shadow over all of my coops and runs.. They've probably thought they've been in Alaska with no sun for months no real idea how to remidy this short of a giant mirror or artificial lighting I wonder if that also effects them during the summer.. For the most part it's over head and they have no shade unless I put in branches
From what I understand, chickens have a certain number of ovi (eggs to be) and once those are gone, thats it. I am not saying anyone should not do it. I just don't myself. Its a real trade off, you have to decide what you want for your flock. Artificial light is a personal choice. I don't because
#1 the added electric cost.
#2 I want my birds to live longer.
Some layer breeds like golden comets will just keep right on laying. Without artificial light though, the hens bodies tell them to take a break. In the cold months with short daylight hours many heritage breeds just don't lay. My comets and Sumatra are the only chickens laying regular for us right now.

I did finally remember to take a couple pictures of our Peafowl today! BS cock, IB hen.

After several attempts the hen finally shows her head lol

Still timid but are finally adjusting more. The pictures do not do justice to the gorgeous copper colors in the cocks train.

Quote: Depends on the incubator. I really like the digital ones.

I really need the brooder gone and the layer of bedding from the other pens taken out. The rest of the stuff is pretty much gone or going to stay in one small corner.

I have very happy hogs, and birds tonight! A friend called and said they cleaned out the freezer and had some stuff they wanted gone. Of course I said yes! DH picked it up on the way home from work. Well over 100 pounds, all but 2 packages were MEAT!! I have 6 adult hogs, so they got 2-5 gallon buckets today. Oh my goodness the happy piggies lol.
I gave several pounds of ground meat to the birds. The only ones not interested were the geese of course. Majority of it was venison. great boost for them all with the cold snap coming.
I gave the cats a cow tongue today. They ate it up so fast.

Depends on the incubator.  I really like the digital ones.

I really need the brooder gone and the layer of bedding from the other pens taken out.  The rest of the stuff is pretty much gone or going to stay in one small corner.

I gave the cats a cow tongue today.  They ate it up so fast.

It's one of the styrofoam ones wish I could take the brooder away for you do you think it could fit in a versa or taken apart to fit? Idk I like the digital ones and the cabinet ones and I found one that holds over 1k eggs and one that does 15k eggs wouldn't know what to do with them plus I'm a broke sob lol I guess I gotta build up to it

Hey guys, since chick season is almost upon us, shout out if you saw chicks at the feed store! It really helps others plan for new layers or just flock additions. This will probably be the first year I won't need to buy chicks! If I find Royal Purple guinea fowl I may have to buy them though LOL!

Tax check is on the way!

Hoping to find lilac muscovy soon

styro incubators are really touchy to the room temp and humidity. The little knob has to be adjusted slowly once every 3-5 hours until it is good. Then the room needs to stay the same temp all day and night too. So don't stick it in front of a window facing south.
You will need a good thermometer and hydrometer.

styro incubators are really touchy to the room temp and humidity. The little knob has to be adjusted slowly once every 3-5 hours until it is good. Then the room needs to stay the same temp all day and night too. So don't stick it in front of a window facing south.
You will need a good thermometer and hydrometer.
Agreed, I started out with 3 of them. If they aren't in a room with steady temps you get terrible changes in incubation. I used a separate thermometer on each one. At lockdown, I used the 3rd that was a standard bator with no fan or turner. It worked very well for a hatcher.

Back
Top Bottom