INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I let the 13 wk olds pen open this afternoon when I got home and stayed out reading (and napping) to see how it would go.

Went pretty well. I think I need to reduce down the back perimeter before I let them out much, however. I have electronetting and it is opened up to about 1 acre. I was working on expanding that as the goat boys do their job clearing the understory in the woods. Each time I move the goat boys back the chickens get more space to run that has become cleared enough that they can move in and enjoy it without fear of predators hiding in the brush.

But I think I'll bring it back up just to include their small chicken "forest" that's close to the barn (Probably about 1/3 acre). It will be a bit of a restriction on the 5 hens that are used to more space to roam, but it will be a good "training ground" for the young'uns.

Still won't let them out without several times of my supervision and being assured that they know how to get back in and to safe hiding in the little forest. But I think if I reduce the area they'll learn pretty quickly.
Good idea. I like to limit the teens also, so they can find home safely. We are putting electric fence up around all the coops but it will be permanent. Once we get the back 2 acres fenced The coops will go into the first pasture, since the land is higher and drains well. And plenty of shade.

Raccoons, ugh. Trying to get in my coops tonight. Checked on my very pregnant goat and there's a bunch of them everywhere. Literally crawling all over my coops! I couldn't count how many and really upset me. At least 15 probably more.
Watch out closely I have never seen so many in one place. Not sure why but it appears there's a large birth rate of raccoon this year.

@kittydoc I raise bantam Cochin and am actually gathering eggs for another BYC member. They are black and my roo is frizzled.

I am growing out 2 chicks in hopes they are girls to pair with my roo I hatched last spring and they are the Mille Fluer pattern.
Beautiful birds but if all goes as planned I will be hatching more next spring.

If you have an interest in the black let me know and I will gather some for you after I've got my previous order filled.

@ellymayRans ~ I am repeating your message to @kittydoc since your "@mention" didn't work (not a blue link).
Or you could use
@Faraday40 's method (on page 4857) of getting kittydoc's attention: Large and Bold headline
wink.png

@Faraday40 Love this picture of your Bantam English Orp and LF Orp chicks!

It reminds me of my dearly departed English Chocolate Bantam Orp, Bonbon (my avatar that I need to change one of these days). She was such a good mom, too.
@pginsber ~ Love the name Dali for your dynamic-looking Araucana with a mustachio!

And I learned of yet another chicken breed—Svart Hona. Swedes usually aren't so dark! lol That's interesting that they're black all the way through like an Ayam Cemani.
I'd like to comment more about all the great photos, but I'm worn out from working outside with my hens on this exceptionally beautiful day.

Taking a survey of folks with SMALL FLOCKS:

At What age do you let your "chicks" out to free range without supervision? (As in being at work all day...and considering they'd likely be "easy pickins" for arial predators should they pass though.)

I'd like to hear everyone's practice and experience on this.

pop.gif

My last chicks were hatched, so Bonbon was always with her chicks and the rest of the flock. I've felt okay as long as I had been observing that the chicks were accepted members of a flock with older members. Their unsupervised free range area is the fenced-in part of our backyard. I think that the most important protection against arial predators is having lots of foliage and other places my chickens can quickly duck into. Bushes, ornamental grasses, clusters of day lilies, as well as lawn furniture, a wheelbarrow, etc. My chickens' "clubhouse" is under a part of the deck by a large bush that is overgrown on purpose. lol I've put open umbrellas in or around the bush for shade/extra cover. And don't forget, I have the really attractive used car lot metallic pennant flags waving in the breeze to deter hawks!
@pipdzipdnreadytogo ~ Did you ever order pennants?

I need but help I have a owl going after my girls. I have never seen one during the day. But it just sits there and waits. I have Chaste It off but it keeps coming back all day. My girls are mad because I will not let them out in the yard.

Their unsupervised free range area is the fenced-in part of our backyard. I think that the most important protection against arial predators is having lots of foliage and other places my chickens can quickly duck into. Bushes, ornamental grasses, clusters of day lilies, as well as lawn furniture, a wheelbarrow, etc. My chickens' "clubhouse" is under a part of the deck by a large bush that is overgrown on purpose. lol I've put open umbrellas in or around the bush for shade/extra cover.
@Mother2Hens
I do have the little wooded area that provides lots of brush to hide under so if I reduce their back border electric net to just that smaller area as a "training ground" I think that will be the next step. Too bad I have chicks that are 6 weeks apart. It will make me have to do the restricted area longer to get everyone out and up to speed as I won't be putting the younger ones out for about another 6 weeks I think.

I also use the foot stool type plastic furniture that you can get at Meijers/Menards as places to run under here and there.

They look similar to this but mine are green, brown or gray.

30_ot20wh_0.jpg

@Mother2Hens do you mind me asking a what the car lot flags are you mentioned? I'm curious because I have owls and hawks here (the owls had only been a problem for a short time, haven't seen them in a while). I would love to have a solution that doesn't require me shooting into space all the time. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm a bit unstable

@jchny2000
Thanks for the input regarding the wing clipping...but do you know if the d'uccle will likely raise chicks to be like they are? I have consistently been working on the bantams trying to gain their interest and I must admit, they are much more curious about me than they had been. And the boys will now carefully approach as I'm feeding treats to my big girls but they don't dare come close enough for a bite, but hopefully we will get there. But I still wonder if I should readjust my plans/hopes of having the d'uccle girl raise chicks for me because I would rather have them walking around and being noticeable like all my big girls are. We get so much joy from watching them just be chickens (except when they try to RE-LANDSCAPE per their own preferences grrr!).

Raccoons, ugh. Trying to get in my coops tonight. Checked on my very pregnant goat and there's a bunch of them everywhere. Literally crawling all over my coops! I couldn't count how many and really upset me. At least 15 probably more.
Watch out closely I have never seen so many in one place. Not sure why but it appears there's a large birth rate of raccoon this year.

We are having a heck of time with racoons as well. We have cameras set up around the property and so far they have only tried to get into the pen the coops are in a few times. And most often it's only a couple at any one time BUT the other night there were several working their way near the pen. The mister got out there in time with the shotgun to keep them from getting any closer but it has left me on edge ever since and I am up often through the night checking on the chickens.

@pipdzipdnreadytogo
Ohhhh your Don is handsome.my d'uncles began crowing at 11 weeks and it was so adorable. I'm sure they didn't appreciate me calling hem cute and giggling at them though.

Back
Top Bottom