INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Finally got our first egg!!!! Hurray!!!! I hope the rest of the girls follow soon!

We received 5 laying "hens" and two turned out to be handsome roosters. Since we have 2 bantam roos, one of the Buffs has to go.
We have a 25ish week old Roo from Tractor Supply. He does not willing come up to you but once you get him he stays pretty calm. He is the smaller of the two standard roos so he is not the dominant.
We are located north of Rensselaer between 49 and 421. We are close to Medaryville and Francesville as well.
Free to good home but we are always willing to rehome a laying hen!

Quote: Lots of good advice already, but I wouldn't think you need to. Only birds I have ever done artificial light was for my quail. If you want your ladies to live longer, let them rest in the winter. I bring up the discussion every fall, so folks can share opinions and how they do things themselves. One rule always holds true, there's no one right way to keep chickens!

so I have 4 layers and have had extra eggs the last few days. Im having a hen lay double yolkers I think once a week or two. Can she be laying double eggs now?
Its very rare to happen, but anythings possible. The true laying cycle will vary by birds, its normally between 23 to 25 hours.

Finally got our first egg!!!! Hurray!!!! I hope the rest of the girls follow soon!

Congrats, not a bad size either!

@Mother2Hens thanks for releasing the bat! They are such beneficial animals, we have several here. Huge mosquito and other insect control. I usually see several at dusk over the pasture, working hard to eat all the bugs! Terribly misunderstood too.

so I have 4 layers and have had extra eggs the last few days. Im having a hen lay double yolkers I think once a week or two. Can she be laying double eggs now?

(online photo)
I had forgotten about double yolkers. It's been a long time since one of my hens laid a double yolkier—or an egg for that matter!! (my two large layers have been molting). Anyway, I collected some info for you and anyone interested.

A double-yolked egg occurs when two egg yolks are released into a hen’s oviduct too close together and end up encased within the same shell. In general, about an hour after an egg is laid, the next yolk is released, but due to hormonal change/imbalance, an overstimulated ovary sometimes misfires and releases the yolk too early. The shell forms around both yolks and results in a single egg. It’s far more common to find double-yolked eggs from new layers or those hens on the tail end of their laying life. It can be genetic, and therefore hereditary, and is more common in the hybrids and heavier breeds. Double-yolked eggs generally won’t hatch if incubated, and if they do, both chicks usually don’t survive, although it’s possible. This may not happen to your hen, but it's good info to know: Hens who lay large or double-yolked eggs are more prone to becoming egg bound (an egg stuck in her oviduct), having an egg break inside while egg bound (can cause peritonitis), or suffer vent prolapse, all potentially fatal afflictions. The egg needs to be passed within 24-48 hours. Seek veterinarian help. It's always good to be proactive and read up/watch videos about things you can do (like epson salts bath, etc.) if this happens to your hen.

"IMO" Since your hen may be prone to problems as a result of her double yolkers, know the signs of egg binding:
Loss of appetite
Disinterest in drinking
Walking like a penguin
Decreased activity
Shaky wings
Abdominal straining
Frequent, uncharacteristic sitting
Passing wet droppings or none at all (egg interferes with normal defecation)
Droopy/depressed/pale comb and wattles
Presence of an egg in the oviduct upon exam

Prevention:
Avoid supplemental lighting with young pullets to avoid premature egg-laying (laying before her body is fully mature). (Note to @weezerfish referencing your post on page 4953)
Feed layer ration or other complete nutritional formula
Make available oyster shell (or another calcium source) free-choice
Don't let hens become obese, avoid excess treats
Provide enough nesting boxes

I'd say that the info above includes basic facts—nothing too controversial. However, in most cases involving chicken raising, you'll find a variety of opinions. You learn to ask our helpful members, do your own research, and go with what you think is right for your chickens. As @jchny2000 said: One rule always holds true, there's no one right way to keep chickens!

Southside Indianapolis!

Love being a chicken owner and surprised to see so many...

Has anyone heard of an restriction on the number of chickens we can have in Indianapolis? I heard it's a new thing?

Southside Indianapolis!
Love being a chicken owner and surprised to see so many...

Has anyone heard of an restriction on the number of chickens we can have in Indianapolis? I heard it's a new thing?

They just redid the statues because backyard farming has taken off, and they hadn't been updated since the 60s

12 hens and one rooster, but the rooster has to be penned in from dusk to dawn.
I read an article on it so I'm not sure about ducks. 3 goats to each 3/4 acre you have too, just FYI. I'm getting a RIR Roo from my cousin or else I'd take the polish. I live a diverse flock. Where I'm
Locked we have natural hedge rows that
Keep the neighbors from seeing, so I may go over the twelve a bit in the spring. Especially for some meat birds hahaha

They just redid the statues because backyard farming has taken off, and they hadn't been updated since the 60s

12 hens and one rooster, but the rooster has to be penned in from dusk to dawn.
I read an article on it so I'm not sure about ducks. 3 goats to each 3/4 acre you have too, just FYI. I'm getting a RIR Roo from my cousin or else I'd take the polish. I live a diverse flock. Where I'm
Locked we have natural hedge rows that
Keep the neighbors from seeing, so I may go over the twelve a bit in the spring. Especially for some meat birds hahaha
You'll kill meat birds before 8 mos = they don't count. Just keep receipts. 8mos is "adult birds" which are the only ones that count by law. All meat birds are butchered before 8mos (CX chickens are processed from 3-12 weeks depending on how big you want them).

It's 12 birds total if you got them after 4/1/16. Not 12 hens and one rooster. If you have a roo and twelve hens, you have to give up a hen. Yes, he should be confined between dusk and down. They stipulate that "dawn" is roughly 7am (not sure, but I think you're not supposed to let them out before 7 and that he should be inside by 10pm).

According to the law:

1 Roo=one bird, but you're only allowed to have one
1 Hen= one hen
1 Quail= one hen
1 Bantam chicken = one hen
1 Duck = one hen

Total adult birds on premises not grandfathered in: 12 birds.

There is no stipulation concerning gender on ducks or quail. No matter how big or small your birds are, you are only allowed 12 adult birds on the premises. No stipulation concerns the type of quail or ducks which are owned, but if you want a native species (like bobwhites) you need a permit (through DNR, about $15/year).

No partridge, pheasants, peafowl, guineas, turkeys, emu, ostrich, etc. Just chickens, ducks and quail.

Back
Top Bottom