INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

IMG_20180524_161946_01.jpg

Potatoes are doing great and yes I have to weed!

Hello Indiana Peeps ^_^ I've got some roosters that I need to rehome. They came from my first ever hatching and they are actually very pretty. Their mother was a RIR with a good temperament and a Partridge Rock Roo who was fantastic. I also have one that is an EE (carries blue egg gene) x Partridge Rock Roo mix too.
RIR x PR roo (2 Of them)
20180525_132208.jpg 20180525_132231.jpg 20180525_132235.jpg
EE x PR roo
20180525_132934.jpg 20180525_132818.jpg
If anyone wants to add a rooster to their flock let me know. I'm gonna have a hard time putting them in the freezer...*_*

A very sad morning : Our dear, old Mr Dummy-Pants died last night. it was also a blessing. He was failing and not walking much. He didn't eat/drink yesterday, so I knew I'd have to put him down today. He died and spared me the additional pain of killing my beloved pet. He was our all-time favorite rooster and became a pet after he could no longer breed. He was amazing! He was very patient with kids, a gentleman with the hens, a great flock leader & guardian, the peace-maker, big, & stunningly beautiful. He is the rooster that all of our future roosters will be compared to. I can't find words to describe my feelings. He will forever be missed.

RIP my friend.
img_7186-jpg.1400966
img_3064-jpg.1400967
img_4371-copy-jpg.1400968
img_7185-copy-jpg.1400965

DD is taking it very hard. Although we all loved him, he was technically HER rooster. Yesterday she gently carried her big smelly buddy inside to watch TV together. She hugged him as she cried. Then she placed him on the floor next to her. That old rooster used what little strength he had to stand up and walk over to her for hugs when he saw her crying. He was trying to get back into her lap. That basically sums up why we loved him. He always acted more like a dog than a rooster.
:hugs

Hello Indiana Peeps ^_^ I've got some roosters that I need to rehome. They came from my first ever hatching and they are actually very pretty. Their mother was a RIR with a good temperament and a Partridge Rock Roo who was fantastic. I also have one that is an EE (carries blue egg gene) x Partridge Rock Roo mix too.
RIR x PR roo (2 Of them)
View attachment 1404378 View attachment 1404379 View attachment 1404381
EE x PR roo
View attachment 1404383 View attachment 1404384
If anyone wants to add a rooster to their flock let me know. I'm gonna have a hard time putting them in the freezer...*_*
What city or town are you in, may help others to decide to reply. My coops are full up or I would take them.

So what color would you call this orp below? (Ignore the marker on head) It feels like I traveled back in time & hatched Oopsie all over again. (Oopsie looked mauve at hatch but feathered in white.)

I thought this chick came from my blue silver laced orp female - who was in with my SLO. Could be very, very light blue silver laced orp.....

OR

The chicks move around a lot after hatch, and perhaps I marked her incorrectly when I moved her into the brooder. I also hatched Jewel's eggs (Oopsie's daughter) in the same incubator. I had 2 blk/lav splits mating her, and one of them is a cousin. I may have confirmed that both Jewel & her cousin carry Oopsie's rare recessive white gene.
img_9422-jpg.1404780

and here are a couple more English orps from the last hatch:
IMG_9407 copy.jpg

and a blue laced orp. (looking female so far)
IMG_9388.JPG

*edited to add another laced - possibly another blue laced silver or black laced. It's almost impossible to tell how the lacing will turn out, so I'm growing out a few to find out for myself.
IMG_9424.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9418 copy.jpg
    IMG_9418 copy.jpg
    904.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
@pipdzipdnreadytogo
How are those silkied cochins doing? Did your little roo crow again?

Oh, my, I haven't checked in with them in a while, have I? I've been a bit distracted this week--lots going on!

My li'l munchkins are growing like weeds, getting their feathers in all over. They're out of that too-cute-to-stand-it stage and onto the awkward in-between baby and juvenile stage. Definitely NOT an 'ugly' stage, as they're just as precious as ever. :love I actually don't have very many recent pictures of them! That's something to remedy this weekend!

diggin out.jpg

Now, the reason WHY I've been distracted... Primarily, it's because of these:

cutie lineup.jpg

What happened was that last Friday (not yesterday, but a week ago), I was alerted to the fact that Meyer Hatchery had some Mottled Cochin bantams available this week. I was really torn because, well, I NEVER make such rash, sudden additions to my flock, but it seemed like perfect timing. My little munchkin Cochin bantams are only about a week older than them, and I was suspicious that all three of them were boys anyway. Plus, I've been wanting to get another line of Cochin bantams to cross into them, especially after that failure of a hatch, to get some new blood in the line and some new colors... So after agonizing over it for a bit, we went ahead and reserved 6 of them to pick up this past Monday. :D What helped make up my mind was that they also had some Dorking pullets available, and I'm always game for more Dorks. :love :love

white band dorking in my hand.jpg

Anyway, on top of the new babies and getting them introduced to the munchkin squad, we've finally started work on renovating the inside of the coop this week as I was wanting to do over the summer, so... Distracted. :lol: Yeah.

Oh, and no crowing since that video. The same thing happened with the last set of munchkins. The boys crowed until they were about a week old, then stopped altogether until they were a few months old. My little Mottleds are about 5 days old and no crowing from them yet, so I guess it's just the Silkieds. :) We'll see what happens when I cross the two!

Just saw your post about Mr. Dummy-Pants. :hugs It brought tears to my eyes reading about him in your post. These birds are truly amazing creatures. I'm so sorry for your loss. :hugs

Anyway, I believe you have recessive white with this baby. It looks like a recessive white to me. Unlike the dominant counterpart, recessive white babies are often smoky / silvery in appearance like this. :)

Back
Top Bottom