INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Twice we have moved from places where subdivisions came. The first move I found out about the upcoming expansion by chance before anyone else, and we got out of there ASAP.

The second place we live was zoned ag and stayed that way even though the subdivision that was put in behind us was zoned residential. The quiet road we lived on became very busy and the people who lived in the subdivisions set off fireworks all the time, spring through fall, sometimes winter too. After we left they widened the highway we were close to. There were nice old Silver Maple trees on each side of that highway and it all got mowed over by concrete and blacktop.

Where we are in Michigan now it's not desirable to build here because of vast marshes and it's not desirable to cross the state line where shopping and entertainment is not close, property tax is a little more, and auto insurance costs quite a lot more. Very peaceful, though.

Last edited:
Some new projects, working towards fencing in the rest of the 5 acres. We have a new subdivision coming in just 1/2 mile north from us total 390+ homes. Just UGH :mad::he:barnie Its going to get terribly busy on the roadway. It was all very hushed and by the time we all found out had already been passed thru the town board. DH and I are already considering a move if vandalism becomes a problem. I am 54 and moving is not appealing at all. If they change our zoning from Agriculture to town, we are going to move southeast. There are 4 cattle farmers within 3 miles including us. 2 are still zoned Ag Pendleton, Ingalls annexed us and the other farm south of us a few years back but didn't change the property classification..Ingalls does not even allow chickens in town let alone livestock.
Makes you realize your home and property really isn't yours, if the local government decides to change rules and not tell you.

Sigh. I know this situation well.

My parent's property (that I'm now on) was "way out in the country" when they bought it. Now has subdivision across street AND widened road AND sidewalks in front. When I inherited, we had to divide it into two pieces at which time they changed it from AG to Residential even though it has acreage.

I was not aware of the change until the new assessments came in that year (2016). We're still in the appeal process over that!

Makes you realize your home and property really isn't yours, if the local government decides to change rules and not tell you.
I thought that zoning changes had to go through a process that is publicized. I wonder how easy it is for them to "publicize" things where they don't get seen...

And you are right. The local government thinks they should be able to tell you everything you can and cannot do on your own property.

The quiet road we lived on became very busy and the people who lived in the subdivisions set off fireworks
I have the same thing here. Now whenever I weed or water my flowers around my mailbox, it seems like that's when everybody needs to drive down my road.
And don't get me started about fireworks! My dogs hate them. Thankfully the chickens and turkeys don't seem to care. Cuz they are the ones who have to sleep out there with fireworks going on. Fortunately it really peters out once Fourth of July is over. But there was some tonight when I was locking up.

I want to move somewhere in the sticks where nobody else wants to be. But my husband would have too far to drive to work.

Sigh. I know this situation well.

My parent's property (that I'm now on) was "way out in the country" when they bought it. Now has subdivision across street AND widened road AND sidewalks in front. When I inherited, we had to divide it into two pieces at which time they changed it from AG to Residential even though it has acreage.

I was not aware of the change until the new assessments came in that year (2016). We're still in the appeal process over that!
Yep exact same thing! We knew about the first annexation, not the 2nd. I found out because of the same thing, taxes. Our new neighbor south bought the 44 acres south of us and plans to leave it land, and just build a home way in the back. We have met them and they are good people. We learned today the first build will be 50 homes.

Chickens are still laying great, and I heard several new crows coming from my young EE pen last few days! I have a rooster! :D:yesss:! Also a nice handful of hens. Leghorn teens out of 8, 2 are roos, and am happy with that too. These teens and my lil fatties (Cornish cross) are on daily free range with the adult flocks. I have 1 golden comet that will keep pestering and chasing the young birds, mean little thing. She may go into a time out a few weeks.
Discovered yet another stray cat dumped this last week Grrrr huge peeve for me.. Started seeing him Sunday morning. Been observing him, so far no issues with our old barn cat or any of the birds. My 6 little ducklings are out with the parents every day, no issues with them either. Monday night I saw him chasing mice around the coops, he and Sassy our old girl were team catching them! If he isn't spraying around the house or attacking birds I will leave him be. Sassy turned 10 this spring, and I hope we have her several more years. If after a month he is "ok" we will trap and neuter him. I can usually tell by then if a stray will work out.
Got a rare chance to go on a bike ride with DH tonight, met an old friend for supper. I love getting out on the bike, you notice so much more detail, enjoy the sights and sounds. Been staying close to home until my girls calve.. IF they ever do LOL!
Remi our new dog is working out well, been here a over a month now. He is perfect around all the animals, but still very intimidated by the cows. He has learned manners very well. He has one bad habit, he will steal shoes and hide them. He chewed one shoe (my crocs flip flops) And Dads remote for the TV! Aside from that we love him. "My" last dog was a Rottie and he was diagnosed with K9 osteocarcinoma in 2001. We lost him 2 weeks later. This little guy has stolen my heart almost as much as Rommel did.
Began harvesting some of the potatoes early, the plants are dying off. Just too hot. The store potatoes are going down first, especially the reds. Russets aren't much better. Saw my first squash today! ton of tomatoes coming in but all still green. Banana peppers are about ready to pick also.

They dump stray cats out at my in-laws farm. Well, they aren't strays when they dump them, right? A long time ago, someone dumped a momma cat who was pregnant. So sad when people do that. The cat was obviously not an outdoor cat, but she managed.
We haven't been on a bike ride for 3 years - since we got our dogs - we take walks now instead and our bikes are all dusty in my shed that I want to convert to a coop someday.;)
The yellow one is 3, the black one is two. These two are indoor princesses (obviously).
part0.jpg

Also, we had a part rottie, part Australian shepherd dog. His name was Muttly. He was a really good dog too. Ended up with tumors and eventually succumbed to them. However, he had multiple incidences throughout his life where he managed to outlive the incidences. We said he was part cat, just didn't know how many lives he had. ;) So, he had a good life. He started out as our pup, but became my in-laws farm dog because we had to move due to relocating for work at the time.

Got nothing done at home aside from feed and water the animals. Helped get my sister packed to move from Greenfield to Shelbyville. She isn't able to live alone so she lives with my oldest nephew. Probably going down again tomorrow or Monday.
My cornish cross pen was hit by young raccoon, somehow squeezed in and killed 2 birds last night. Luckily my youngest nephew heard the noise and checked, shot the thing. Grrr! We found the problem, rotted bottom board of the door. Just enough the wood flexes. That coop will be retired soon until we can repair it properly. Raccoon are thick this year, seen several just walking from the barn to the house tonight.

Back
Top Bottom