INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hello,
I have a 7 month old Buff Orpintong that has been broody for about 3 weeks. We don't have a rooster so no point to let her go broody. We have been unsuccessfully trying to discouraging broodiness but we haven't have any luck. We collect the eggs as soon as possible and we tried to get her out of the nest as often as possible. When I get her out of the nest she does eat and do her business for a few minutes and then she wants to go back to the nest. Sometimes she lays in an empty nest. How much longer does chickens stay broody? Any advice is appreciated.
UPDATE!
After keeping my broody hen inside a metal crate at night for three days that solved the problem, she is not broody any more and started laying eggs again :) . I couldn't keep her in the crate all day so during the day and under supervision I let her free range for a while in the back yard. Thanks to all for your advice.

I'm glad I did set leghorn eggs, my 2nd older hen passed away last night. I've still got 5 young hens, and Foghorn the rooster. We had 10 chicks from the hatch, so hopefully I will have 5 more hens.
All my cows are stuck on the one acre pasture until the creek thaws. All the rainwater coming down hill forced a huge amount of brush against the barrier, and pushed it into our electric fencing. Then everything froze! They have plenty of hay in the main pasture and its hard fence. We're set up to disconnect any of the 4 pastures so they still have electric on our main.
I've got my 3 very pregnant Oberhasli goats separated and on the garden with electric netting. Going to move Belle our Pyrenees and the Nubian herd right next to them. In just a couple days I can combine the girls and introduce Belle to the Oberhasli herd. She does awesome with new kids and helps the mother clean them up.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Here's a pic from yesterday of our icy trees.
IMG_4966.JPG

IMG_4982.JPG
IMG_4977.JPG

... and our little Queen "Trouble" who's one of the few hens that will come out in snow.
IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_4999.JPG

I'm glad I did set leghorn eggs, my 2nd older hen passed away last night. I've still got 5 young hens, and Foghorn the rooster. We had 10 chicks from the hatch, so hopefully I will have 5 more hens.
All my cows are stuck on the one acre pasture until the creek thaws. All the rainwater coming down hill forced a huge amount of brush against the barrier, and pushed it into our electric fencing. Then everything froze! They have plenty of hay in the main pasture and its hard fence. We're set up to disconnect any of the 4 pastures so they still have electric on our main.
I've got my 3 very pregnant Oberhasli goats separated and on the garden with electric netting. Going to move Belle our Pyrenees and the Nubian herd right next to them. In just a couple days I can combine the girls and introduce Belle to the Oberhasli herd. She does awesome with new kids and helps the mother clean them up.
I am sorry about your hen. :( . Hopefully most of your chicks are girls . How far alone are your goats?

Here are my lovable baby seramas on Valentine's Day. They are 10.5 weeks old.
Sesame (formerly called "White" chick)
She's my fav.
:love
white-1-jpg.1673622
white-2-jpg.1673623
white-3-jpg.1673624

Kung Pao (Formerly called "Chipmunk" chick)
She looks exactly like her mama "Noodle"
chipmunk-1-jpg.1673626
chipmunk-2-jpg.1673627
chipmunk-3-jpg.1673628

.... and here's their younger sister - still called "Blue Orp" LOL
sisters-jpg.1673631

Back
Top Bottom