INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Here's a little perspective.
img_9892-jpg.1919673

Culling all my excess roosters last week. Found one fella with a pale comb and frankly skeletal. He had worms. I've never seen this before the things were short grub looking things in its intestinal parts. Upsetting. His comb was pale and I should have seen this well before now. Its very unsettling to waste an entire bird because I am not sure what he had.
I would sure appreciate feedback! I felt horrible he was ill and I didn't see it. He was a large frame Bresse rooster. We are a working farm homestead and I want every critter here to be healthy and thrive.

@jchny2000
Did you take any photos?
Didn't think of it, ugh :sick just very unsettling. I wish I would have. The carcass went to the burn barrel immediately. Looked similar to fly larva but smaller. My gut reaction was to burn it and remove any risk to my other flocks. I also dewormed my rooster coop and won't process any others until I'm positive this is gone.
DH feels we need to move all the coops and lime the ground heavily. We've focused on building new mobile coops this last year, but haven't moved the old coops since last year. Frankly if we attempt to move them, I'm sure they will fall apart. The rooster coop is last priority for us. Unfortunately one of them contracted parasites and I'm pretty upset I didn't see he was ill.

Millie's comb/wattles have changed a lot this past week. I think she may be laying - but not sure.
Millie (taken this morning)
img_9912-jpg.1921429

Tillie (taken this morning)
img_9941-jpg.1921446

Mystery of today:
I know the egg on the right is a Leghorn egg, but I do not know whose. Could the left egg also be from a Leghorn? (Would be Millie's 1st egg)

img_9944-jpg.1921428

I think the right egg is Tillie's (my Leghorn hen who has yet to miss a day since end of September 2018). But, if it's Millie's egg, then today is the 1st day Tillie skipped in almost a year.

Could the left egg also be from a Leghorn? It has a touch of color. Because of color & location found, I'm thinking it's a large serama egg..... but a quirky new layer could also explain why I found it hidden behind a feeder.

Another explanation is that Millie is laying her eggs next door. She keeps escaping under the fence to hunt for bugs in the neighbor's brush area. Perhaps she's leaving him presents. (We had a similar problem with Tillie last fall. She kept leaving her eggs in our storage area.)

Remember this?:

Millie's comb/wattles have changed a lot this past week. I think she may be laying - but not sure.
Millie (taken this morning)
img_9912-jpg.1921429

Tillie (taken this morning)
img_9941-jpg.1921446

Mystery of today:
I know the egg on the right is a Leghorn egg, but I do not know whose. Could the left egg also be from a Leghorn? (Would be Millie's 1st egg)

img_9944-jpg.1921428

I think the right egg is Tillie's (my Leghorn hen who has yet to miss a day since end of September 2018). But, if it's Millie's egg, then today is the 1st day Tillie skipped in almost a year.

Could the left egg also be from a Leghorn? It has a touch of color. Because of color & location found, I'm thinking it's a large serama egg..... but a quirky new layer could also explain why I found it hidden behind a feeder.

Another explanation is that Millie is laying her eggs next door. She keeps escaping under the fence to hunt for bugs in the neighbor's brush area. Perhaps she's leaving him presents. (We had a similar problem with Tillie last fall. She kept leaving her eggs in our storage area.)

Remember this?:
LOL :D I do! Pretty girls, I love my leghorns. Don't think the off colored egg is Leghorn. All my girls have always laid white. I'm actually thinking of adding a second flock, I have a new fella from 4H fair Who is a lap rooster. Foghorn is at least 6 now so a new bloodline is due.

Love my roosters. As always - every year I pick 1 rooster that I feel is worthy of a flock for each breed we keep. I also keep 2nd choice roosters until the following spring. #1 they must be human social. #2 must take care and be a good gentle fella for my hens. Once its early enough spring for hatching #2 boys are processed if I didn't need them. I have found myself without a rooster too many times to not keep extra! I do hatch my favorite breeds to sell chicks locally once I feel we have enough for our own needs.
My American Bresse are laying like crazy now! AB rooster has won his place with me, he sits with his hens when they lay. Calls them to food and they all come running. Very polite with his ladies & us too. Barred Rock pullets (Mabels lol) are 20 weeks+ so they should start laying soon. We have begun introducing their rooster Barry also a 4H fella between fences. He dances, calls them and carries on, they all run to the fence to see him. Their new coop is almost completed so they will be combined in a couple weeks.
We are leaving for vacation Friday :yaI will actually go down Thursday for groceries etc. DH said our last true vacation was 11/2006! We're mostly camping and fishing and do plan on visiting our oldest DD in Ohio. I've yet to see her house. Plan on visiting DM/DD Chaney in Richmond and my oldest DS in Tell City too.
We're also looking at a few land parcels 10 acres plus with our realtor. We've always loved Liberty and the area in general. DH will retire in less than 10 years so at that time we're planning to move there. I like Pendleton but since Ingalls annexed us we are seeing massive residential growth. You cannot own livestock or poultry if in town limits. I'm expecting to lose our AG zoning within the next few years. We want to own land now. When the day comes we're annexed don't have to give up everything we've worked toward going on 9 years with our farm.

LOL :D I do! Pretty girls, I love my leghorns. Don't think the off colored egg is Leghorn. All my girls have always laid white. I'm actually thinking of adding a second flock, I have a new fella from 4H fair Who is a lap rooster. Foghorn is at least 6 now so a new bloodline is due.
I never really liked the Leghorns before, but DS's 1st hen was probably a leghorn mix. DS was barely 3 so holding his hen was not important. It was the giant white eggs and the hen who made them that he loved. He insisted to eat only HIS hen's eggs and really missed her when she died. He got a Spec Sussex next but we all missed having a white egg in the basket. Last winter, Tillie kept us in eggs - even through the brutal Polar Vortex. Even though Leghorns are common and not really my favorite breed, they're hard working, economical, entertaining, and friendly in a different way. Tillie won me over, so we decided to add a 2nd Leghorn. Now we'll get twice the eggs this winter!
:drool

Back
Top Bottom