INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I have and there is a bitter tincture you can apply to the hens head. Haven't found that link yet been a few years.

Wish I could this last hatch has a lot of roosters.

Male geese are taller, longer neck and legs. once matured the voices are different. Ganders have a high pitch goose are very low pitch voices.

Humidity is key here. put al lot of water in there hot water sponges if you can. Ducklings are tough you got this!
If you remember that
The 2 pipped duck eggs hatched out this morning. Most of the other eggs are pipped. I decided to remove them from the incubator. I never heard such a racket as they pounded their bills into the plexiglass and played soccer with the eggs. They are adorable, though....

I put them into the brooder with my silkie. She's now a mom to Orpingtons, Seramas, Quail, and Ducklings. She didn't notice or care that her new babies are different.

IMG_4147 (3).JPG

IMG_4148 (2).JPG
Oh my Lord, these cuties are beautiful, and I keep thinking that you are great taking animal pictures!!. I am looking for runner ducks ( ducklings) I rather get it local than mail order.

I have a black australorp that has been broody for a couple weeks. Even though my rooster is in his own kennel for a few weeks until my girls recover, I decided to give her three eggs just in case they were fertile. She sat in the eggs that I gave her but I also noticed she keep going to other nest and sitting on different eggs. I honestly thought the eggs that I gave her were not fertile due to having my rooster separated from the hens. I went and got her 4 days old chicks ( 2 Americana and two Rhode island pullets). At first when I presented her the babies during day light she rejected them, so we tried at night by putting the babies under her. I waited a few minutes to make sure she will not attack the babies and everything seems fine. Next morning I saw two little faces popping from under her wing and she was clucking to the babies 😍🥰 . It is amazing how she rejected the babies during day light but when I gave her the babies at night she was fine. Also before discarding the three eggs that I gave her I decided to candle them and OMG they were fertile. There were movement inside the three eggs 😮 so I placed the eggs in front of her and she moved them under her. The eggs are due to hatch next week. Why in the world she keep sitting on other nest as well as her nest?that really confused me and i thought she sensed the eggs were not good. Now I kind of feel bad, I should have candle the eggs before assuming they were not fertile. I googled on the internet and found out that when hens mate with roosters the eggs will remain fertile (even if she does not mate again) for around two to three weeks after mating although fertility will drop after 2 weeks. Have I known this before 😳. So soon she will be a mama of 7 baby chicks all together.

Last edited:
Oh my Lord, these cuties are beautiful, and I keep thinking that you are great taking animal pictures!!. I am looking for runner ducks ( ducklings) I rather get it local than mail order.

Thank you. I like to take pics.

Some easy tips:
Newly hatched chicks don't move as much, so take pics soon after they fluff up. 24 hrs later, they'll be running around which makes group shots difficult.

Put subject in flower pot or in front of an interesting background on a nice sunny day, or make a background with a towel/ blanket.

Digital camera allows for many, many takes. Taking several increases the odds of getting a good one.

I can't help with the runner ducks. I'm more of a hatcher than a keeper. I'm sure you'll be able to find someone nearby-ish. I agree it's worth the drive to pick up eggs rather than deal with the heartache of shipped eggs.

I have a black australorp that has been broody for a couple weeks. Even though my rooster is in his own kennel for a few weeks until my girls recover, I decided to give her three eggs just in case they were fertile. She sat in the eggs that I gave her but I also noticed she keep going to other nest and sitting on different eggs. I honestly thought the eggs that I gave her were not fertile due to having my rooster separated from the hens. I went and got her 4 days old chicks ( 2 Americana and two Rhode island pullets). At first when I presented her the babies during day light she rejected them, so we tried at night by putting the babies under her. I waited a few minutes to make sure she will not attack the babies and everything seems fine. Next morning I saw two little faces popping from under her wing and she was clucking to the babies 😍🥰 . It is amazing how she rejected the babies during day light but when I gave her the babies at night she was fine. Also before discarding the three eggs that I gave her I decided to candle them and OMG they were fertile. There were movement inside the three eggs 😮 so I placed the eggs in front of her and she moved them under her. The eggs are due to hatch next week. Why in the world she keep sitting on other nest as well as her nest?that really confused me and i thought she sensed the eggs were not good. Now I kind of feel bad, I should have candle the eggs before assuming they were not fertile. I googled on the internet and found out that when hens mate with roosters the eggs will remain fertile (even if she does not mate again) for around two to three weeks after mating although fertility will drop after 2 weeks. Have I known this before 😳. So soon she will be a mama of 7 baby chicks all together.

Yes, those eggs were fertile! What you described with the hen rejecting.... then accepting the chicks is quite normal. She was used to eggs & then there were chicks. She could have done the very same thing if the chicks came from her own eggs. Normally newly hatched chicks do not crawl away so that gives her several hours to get used to them & start bonding / clucking to them. At night she won't peck what she can't see, so by morning, those chicks were hers.

There's a good chance your hen will move off the nest in a couple days to begin mothering the chicks. Have a back up plan (like an incubator or another broody hen) ready.

Almost every female bird is broody right now or molting. No eggs ugh. I'm getting buried in Muscovy ducklings LOL. The chickens all are starting molt. I'm sick over how many eggs are brooded and BAD. Clearing all the eggs out tomorrow way past due to hatch.

I got a new layer. 'Parmesan' (Chicken) is a serama hatched this spring. Her comb has been red and I found this in the serama pen. it's about the size of a small grape.

Top = new serama egg (from Parm)
Middle = Sebright egg
Bottom = Welsummer

IMG_4185.JPG

Here's what Parmesan looks like today:
IMG_4223.JPG

Updated poult pics. They're getting bigger. I think the brown is a female and both whites could be male. One white is a little more red in face & is slightly bigger. The brown is more petite. (Names: whites = Thanksgiving & Christmas, & brown = Giblets)
IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4235 (2).JPG

DS saying Good Bye to his duckies. They went back home to the friend who gave me the eggs.
IMG_4217.JPG

Teddy rockin' his new look. (Another spa day from DD.)
IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

Mr Potential.... just because he always runs up an poses for me. (Technically he's looking for treats, but when he looks that good, I just have to take a pic!)

I got my orig birds from @kittydoc (A descendant of her Cogburn) Over the years I've been adding more imported English bloodlines.
IMG_4199.JPG

I got a new layer. 'Parmesan' (Chicken) is a serama hatched this spring. Her comb has been red and I found this in the serama pen. it's about the size of a small grape.

Top = new serama egg (from Parm)
Middle = Sebright egg
Bottom = Welsummer

IMG_4185.JPG

Here's what Parmesan looks like today:
IMG_4223.JPG

Updated poult pics. They're getting bigger. I think the brown is a female and both whites could be male. One white is a little more red in face & is slightly bigger. The brown is more petite. (Names: whites = Thanksgiving & Christmas, & brown = Giblets)
IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4235 (2).JPG

DS saying Good Bye to his duckies. They went back home to the friend who gave me the eggs.
IMG_4217.JPG

Teddy rockin' his new look. (Another spa day from DD.)
IMG_4234.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

Mr Potential.... just because he always runs up an poses for me. (Technically he's looking for treats, but when he looks that good, I just have to take a pic!)

I got my orig birds from @kittydoc (A descendant of her Cogburn) Over the years I've been adding more imported English bloodlines.
IMG_4199.JPG
beautiful birds.

Back
Top Bottom