INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hi BYCers.
Our backyard flock of 11 hens and one roo have had 3 unexpected and unexplained losses in the past 10-12 weeks.
Our flock ranges in age from 1.5 years to 8 years old. They’re all pets and we’ve had each one since they hatched or were day old chicks.
The 3 hens that died were 1.5, 3, and 4 years old. They were all healthy until their death. There were no obvious signs of trauma or illness.
Our flock is established and steady-no changes in anything-members, food, bedding, etc.
I’ve called the US dept of agriculture to report this. Had to leave a message and they may/may not get back with me.
Sharing here for awareness with my BYC family.
Saddened—
Sorry for your losses. Have you had wild birds die in your yard?
They have reinstated that you can feed the birds now. Just clean feeders. There was never any resolution as to what was causing the song bird issue.

Last edited:
Sorry for your losses. Have you had wild birds die in your yard?
They have reinstated that you can feed the birds now. Just clean feeders. There was never any resolution as to what was causing the song bird issue.
I just checked the DNR website and for my county the bird feeding cessation is still in place.
F76D4903-119D-4071-B9A6-56F6DC22BE31.jpeg

Hi BYCers.
Our backyard flock of 11 hens and one roo have had 3 unexpected and unexplained losses in the past 10-12 weeks.
Our flock ranges in age from 1.5 years to 8 years old. They’re all pets and we’ve had each one since they hatched or were day old chicks.
The 3 hens that died were 1.5, 3, and 4 years old. They were all healthy until their death. There were no obvious signs of trauma or illness.
Our flock is established and steady-no changes in anything-members, food, bedding, etc.
I’ve called the US dept of agriculture to report this. Had to leave a message and they may/may not get back with me.
Sharing here for awareness with my BYC family.
Saddened—
The Indiana Dept of Agriculture responded to me within two days.

They do want to be notified of unexplained healthy bird death-especially if there are any respiratory symptoms.

Since there were no respiratory symptoms with our birds, and their deaths were 3-4 weeks apart, they’re not concerned. They do not want the body of the most recent bird. We can go ahead and bury her.

They reiterated several good flock practices: annual deworming, regular inspection & treatment for lice and mites, and fresh cool water every day.

They also recommended complete cleaning of the water system with 10% bleach solution (10 parts water to 1 part bleach) to remove any biofilm that exists on any of the water system components.

They also said that if another death happens in less than a month or if any respiratory symptoms appear to re-notify them.
They said that freezing of the body was not the preferred method. If another death occurs, they said to cool the body as quickly as possible using cool soapy water, then double bag it and put it in a cooler/refrigerator-not freezer. Who knew?

It’s been over a year since we dewormed the flock. We’ll deworm the birds and disassemble and clean the water system with the bleach solution.

Seems like they’re current thinking is the deaths could be attributed to heat stress. ☹️
Not sure I totally agree with that since the dead birds were younger, my chicken run has ample shade, and my birds always have fresh water-but heat stress is more easily managed than any flock illness.

In any case, my appreciation to the Dept of Agriculture for their prompt follow up.

Looks like I’m going to make stew with my barred rock roo. Not sure what his problem is, but the guy crows nonstop despite having food and water. Guess he’s just a noisy boy. 😖 I’m sure once he is gone the Australorp will do the same.

Looks like I’m going to make stew with my barred rock roo. Not sure what his problem is, but the guy crows nonstop despite having food and water. Guess he’s just a noisy boy. 😖 I’m sure once he is gone the Australorp will do the same.
Roosters be roostering...or em ... crowing. That's what roosters do. 🤷‍♀️ As I sit here at the dining room table listening to the music of my cockerel crowing, he's just doing what comes natural for him. But, I live in the country. The crowing is not a bother for me or my neighbors.

Roosters be roostering...or em ... crowing. That's what roosters do. 🤷‍♀️ As I sit here at the dining room table listening to the music of my cockerel crowing, he's just doing what comes natural for him. But, I live in the country. The crowing is not a bother for me or my neighbors.
Oh I know, I wish I could let them be. I’ve got a couple acres, but am surrounded by the city of Fishers, and I’m bound to have one grumpy neighbor.

Oh I know, I wish I could let them be. I’ve got a couple acres, but am surrounded by the city of Fishers, and I’m bound to have one grumpy neighbor.
I knew that's where you were coming from. It's too bad the guys of the poultry world get a bad rap. Even in my flock of ducks, I've got 2 drakes that need to find new homes. They have pretty cool personalities when they are separated, but I spend a lot of energy making sure there's no conflict between the males and that they are being well cared for.

I knew that's where you were coming from. It's too bad the guys of the poultry world get a bad rap. Even in my flock of ducks, I've got 2 drakes that need to find new homes. They have pretty cool personalities when they are separated, but I spend a lot of energy making sure there's no conflict between the males and that they are being well cared for.
I had no idea that was a need! Drakes will fight each other?

Back
Top Bottom