INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Looking for a natural and safe sleep remedy... been awake since 6 am, ugh..

My sister gives her autistic son 'Melatonin' (suggested by his doctor). It is an over the counter found in most vitamin sections.
He takes it about an hour before bed and I believe it is one that needs to be taken on a regular schedule to help build up in your system.
http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview
It works for him and you can definitely tell if he has not had it.

Maybe give that one a try.

We made it safely through the night though my sleep was restless after reading the comments from last night. With predicted temps on Monday to not get above zero I suppose the only thing to do would be to let them decide. I have noticed that they stay in the coop area during snow or cold so perhaps it won't be so bad. My fear though is the very cold night. Maybe I'm to much of a nice guy.???

Morning, everyone! My girls are not coming out of the coop this morning, but are all healthy and as happy as cooped up chickens can be. No one is any worse off for the cold, even in an unheated and uninsulated coop. ;)

An important note about wintertime--frigid air is dry air. Your birds are going to need water now more than ever! Try not to leave them without water for more than about an hour if you can help it! They can eat snow if nothing else, but it is better for them to have liquid water to drink from! Hoping everyone's birdies and other animals are safe and happy in spite of the cold. :)

We made it safely through the night though my sleep was restless after reading the comments from last night. With predicted temps on Monday to not get above zero I suppose the only thing to do would be to let them decide. I have noticed that they stay in the coop area during snow or cold so perhaps it won't be so bad. My fear though is the very cold night. Maybe I'm to much of a nice guy.???

As long as they are in a dry coop and have no drafts or wind hitting them, they should do just fine on their own, even in the negative temps we're supposed to have. It's normal to worry--I worry about my girls in these conditions--but it has been shown time and time again that they can and do survive through these temps just fine without supplemental heat. I have read about someone in Canada whose coop is insulated, but not heated, and their birds thrive through negative temps sometimes for days at a time. Just keep an eye on how your birds behave, watch out for frostbite, and let your chickens be chickens. :)

Edited to clarify--I'm having issues putting thoughts together right now, I guess. :lol:

Last edited:
I've been so busy with work, family, and "farm" I am drowning in posts!

Christmas Eve I drove up to Brads to pick up a couple silkies and even returned with some birds to Indy for SallyinIndiana!
Those BLRW were so pretty, and now I'm all googley eyed for one of my own...
That got me thinking...I only have brown and cream egg layers(IF they ever start laying), so I need to start up an order somewhere!

Anyone out there interested in going in with me??? I saw Gabbard Farms has a nice selection, but they don't seem to have the best reviews. I know it's going to be awful cold over they next few weeks, which means I'm not in a huge hurry. I just want to see if I can manage birds into my budget without ending up with +25 all to myself.

Edited to add... Hardin poultry looks good!

I ordered some BLRW eggs, they don't promise the blue color of course but if they hatch, I'll share any extra chicks. Straight run unless you want to wait and wait :)

Well my too made it through the night but his wattles are badly swolen. Is there anything I can do to help them? I know it has to hurt. He is eating well and drinking well. Any advice would help. FYI he was under the porch all day and I wasn't able to get him out until last night.

awww, poor guy. I have never seen that happen before.

I will be messing around on the members list tonight, hopefully. If anyone wants to be added (I got your info minmin!), please send me a pm with county, city if you'd like, breed, variety (gold laced, silver penciled, buff, ect) and note if you breed that breed/variety. I'd gladly put you on the list!

For any existing member, please let me know if you have any changes to your list.

Anyone is more than welcome to send me this info anytime, just thought I'd make a public announcement as well.

Back
Top Bottom