INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Too fast- I got some plastic snap traps I like better. Ck a hardware store for them. They are super easy to set and I am not having them get the food without being caught. You just pinch the lever back and it snaps to lock open. One brand was black and another bran was white, get the white if they have them!!!

Brad- you might look at an electrical supply place for the ties( Kirby Risk). I used to use them when I built electric control boxes.

Ok, so my leg bands are taking for ever to arrive. I bought them a week ago and they finally posted a tracking number last night and it still doesn't look like it's actually been shipped yet. So I'm on the hunt for the small 4" zip ties. Anyone have luck finding various colored ones locally? I'm going to try the dollar stores tomorrow. I know lowes doesn't have them, well scratch that. Now that I think of it we may. I don't think they are permanent items though and if we already sold out of them, then that's it.

So let me know if anyone has found them locally and what stores.

I think our home depot has the small colored ones. Let me know if you don't find them and I can look and bring them up to you on Sunday when I come for the CHICKS!!!!!!

This is the new and improved formerly FarkerFarms btw!

I am anxiously waiting for notice that my Ideal chicks have shipped. I don't know how I am going to function for the next few weeks!!!! They are supposed to ship today. Has anyone ordered from Ideal before? How long does it normally take for them to arrive?

Last edited:
I was determined to get some good photos, but it's freezing out there!!! We have flurries too.
Does anyone else do this? You think, oh it's not so cold out there, the ground is frozen enough, I'll just run out in my jammie's and house slippers... Then half way to the coop I realize it's much colder, so for a split second I think I'll run back in, but hey I'm already halfway there, keep going! I get everything opened up, and I am regretting running out there without even a coat. :D

Then...while back inside and warm...
I hear this awful noise, almost like a baby starting to wail. I look out the mudroom window and Big Roo is intimidating the feral cats off from their food! All his girls are gathered around one of the bowls, while two cats are cowering trying to get back to their breakfast. I intervened only because it's total crap cat food.
Yes, without a coat or real shoes.

Day 1152014-no egg song yet,
Annie

I was determined to get some good photos, but it's freezing out there!!! We have flurries too.
Does anyone else do this? You think, oh it's not so cold out there, the ground is frozen enough, I'll just run out in my jammie's and house slippers... Then half way to the coop I realize it's much colder, so for a split second I think I'll run back in, but hey I'm already halfway there, keep going! I get everything opened up, and I am regretting running out there without even a coat.
big_smile.png

Then...while back inside and warm...
I hear this awful noise, almost like a baby starting to wail. I look out the mudroom window and Big Roo is intimidating the feral cats off from their food! All his girls are gathered around one of the bowls, while two cats are cowering trying to get back to their breakfast. I intervened only because it's total crap cat food.
Yes, without a coat or real shoes.

Day 1152014-no egg song yet,
Annie

I do that a lot. I underestimate the temperature (or how the wind lowers the temperature even more) and then am pacing as I wait for the horses to eat their breakfast so I can let them back out. I have yet to get any good pictures of my chickens. My nice camera has been MIA. I have a feeling I lent it to a relative or friend but I can not for the life of me remember who. Luckily the iphone pictures aren't horrible, but I'd like to find my good camera all the same!

Don't think me too geeky, but I weigh & keep track of eggs laid every day by size since I sell them by size. I set up a spreadsheet so I can enter the numbers & let the computer figure out the totals & dollar value of eggs collected/sold (we need it for our taxes). I just finished entering last years numbers. Half of our girls didn't start laying until September. Our grand total for eggs laid in 2013.....4215 -- that's 351.25 dozen!!
lol.png
We sold 164 dozen & donated 51 dozen to the food pantry, but that still left us with a lot of eggs for eating. Plus we had duck & quail eggs too -- whew! I wonder what this year's total will be with all the girls laying the full year plus the new chickies I'll be getting this spring
D.gif

Don't think me too geeky, but I weigh & keep track of eggs laid every day by size since I sell them by size. I set up a spreadsheet so I can enter the numbers & let the computer figure out the totals & dollar value of eggs collected/sold (we need it for our taxes). I just finished entering last years numbers. Half of our girls didn't start laying until September. Our grand total for eggs laid in 2013.....4215 -- that's 351.25 dozen!!
lol.png
We sold 164 dozen & donated 51 dozen to the food pantry, but that still left us with a lot of eggs for eating. Plus we had duck & quail eggs too -- whew! I wonder what this year's total will be with all the girls laying the full year plus the new chickies I'll be getting this spring
D.gif

I was tracking mine for a while, but it got too depressing because I started it in the fall during molt and it never got much better due to winter! I need to start back up again as production kicks back up. Plus it figured in coop building costs since this was my first year, and that was also depressing.

So I just caught up on [COLOR=FF0000]2275 posts! My chicken hibernation is hopefully over. My EE, "the survivor" has survived through the neg 0 temps and is being such a trooper as the only feathered friend I have right now. She has not cozied p to the pups at all.[/COLOR]

SO, to catch up on the last month and a half...

I am sorry to hear about those who have lost feathered and human family members. Either way it's not easy, but we are such a caring group, lot's of therapy here!

[COLOR=0000CD]M2H
and [COLOR=008000]CRSelvey[/COLOR] - you asked awhile back how long my EE was gone after the massacre...it was a little over a week. She would show herself a little at a time. Now she is even letting me pick her up and snuggle. I'll grab her and hold her tight to put some extra warmth on her once in awhile. I can see it in her eyes that she appreciates it. She has remained very healthy - I just sent samples in of one of her eggs and some dirt/soil from various places around the yard.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF8C00]I AM FREE AND CLEAR!!
More chickens for me!! (I had to put all my chickens and turkeys down due to a communicable disease last fall).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=005CB1]
Einstein, my tough bird, checking out this white stuff.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=005CB1]
My Aussie pup, Roxy, is not 4 months old and ROTTEN![/COLOR]

I think I'll be getting some chicks in the spring, but is there anyone that has pullets that they are needing to re-home? I'm wanting plain ole backyard birds, no show birds or anything. Not wanting to pay a bunch, but willing to pay what they're worth. I am just itching to have some girls following me around! And eggs, how I miss my own eggs!!

I would be willing to drive within 2 hours of Dubois county, so like say Bloomington area down to the Kentucky line. PM me if you have anything!

Good to see other than some bumps and bruises and COLD weather, everybody is doing relatively okay! :yiipchick
Good to see you back! Your puppy is super cute! I think there may be an Aussie in our future, but probably not until the kids get a little older. :) I have some started pullets that should be laying anytime now and I'm planning on selling a few of my original birds that will be a year in March to make some room in my coop. If anyone is interested pm me :)

Ok, so my leg bands are taking for ever to arrive. I bought them a week ago and they finally posted a tracking number last night and it still doesn't look like it's actually been shipped yet. So I'm on the hunt for the small 4" zip ties. Anyone have luck finding various colored ones locally? I'm going to try the dollar stores tomorrow. I know lowes doesn't have them, well scratch that. Now that I think of it we may. I don't think they are permanent items though and if we already sold out of them, then that's it.

So let me know if anyone has found them locally and what stores.
The ones at the dollar store are longer than 4 inches BUT much cheaper than what my lowes charges for the plain shorter ones.I'm thinking the lowes ones are for heavy duty jobs and the dollar store ones are for tiny jobs or crafts that mom dream up.

About the idea shipping question. Mine arrived in less than 48 hours from the shipped time and everyone was in great condition.

The ones at the dollar store are longer than 4 inches BUT much cheaper than what my lowes charges for the plain shorter ones.I'm thinking the lowes ones are for heavy duty jobs and the dollar store ones are for tiny jobs or crafts that mom dream up.

About the idea shipping question. Mine arrived in less than 48 hours from the shipped time and everyone was in great condition.

Great! Thanks! I was worried about the shortened post office hours on Saturday and didn't want them sitting an extra two days! Did they send "packing peanuts" with your order? I only ordered 8 and am not sure how big to plan their phase 1 brooder. My luck they will send an extra 10 cockerels with them!

Has anyone seen this picture of a car port coop? How cool is that!?!? I would never have to shovel the run again!!! Putting this idea away for the future....Although I don't think car ports are all that cheap. :(

Back
Top Bottom