INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hey, y'all, I just wanted to post because I'm super excited about the picture project I had going with our woods over the last 10 days or so! You can really see how the leaves have come out! I ended up taking a picture about every other day rather than just once this week because the leaves were growing so fast!

I couldn't find my last post with pictures of the woods, but I think y'all get the idea. ;) Here's the woods from May 8 to today:

:weee I can't wait to look at these pictures in mid-winter! It ought to cheer me up, anyway!

Hello everyone.

My name is Matthew and I am 26 and live in Seymour Indiana. I have have kept chickens in town for a little over 3 years without a single complaint and the support of my neighbors. The local city ordnance administrator has recently decided to cite me as being in violation of city ordnance that he later admitted didn't apply but I was still forced to speak at the city council meeting or he would still come and take them.

I spoke at the meeting and they concluded that I was not in violation of any ordnance but since the subject was brought before them they now must write an ordnance about it. Well I was able to receive a copy of it before it was introduced to the council and it is not good. They are looking to ban them and force registration for any chicken already in town with animal control, in turn you will receive a paper as proof of valid ownership which you must keep on file. It reads in a manner that suggest if you lose that paper and they find out you will be subjected to a fine of up to $2500 and confiscation of your chickens.

This is supposed to be introduced at the meeting taking place on May 27th @7pm in Seymour Indiana city hall council chambers. I was told I will have to pack the city hall meeting with support to have a chance to defeat it so that is my goal. Anyone in the area that sees this and could attend or offer advice and support or anyone who provides a link to a more permissive ordnance of their city that I could present to them as is or modify to possibly be sponsored by a member of the council would also be much appreciated.

Anyway I thank you all for having me and hope that I can become a good member of the community you all are building here.
If I was anywhere near you I would be there in a heartbeat to support your efforts. Just as another possible means of support...go to the High Schools...visit the FFA and 4H advisors and see if any of them would be willing to stand up with you. I know the FFA advisor in my area was a very big help getting the Counsel to reconsider any "banning" in our area. I wish you the best of luck.

Hello again!

Once again I find myself missing everyone here. It was so nice to catch up and see all the new and old voices here. Your pictures are all nice to see. In the last two weeks we have been really busy around here. My mom was visiting for ten days and she went to bed exhausted every day from trying to keep up with us and our noisy bunch. It turns out that if you are used to living by yourself in a quiet house where nothing moves from where you placed it, my house is an extreme culture shock!
lau.gif
. I think the poor woman has decided that 7 day visits are better (and easier on my DH's nerves
wink.png
).

Anyway, school is almost out and we can see the light! I don't think that I was this excited about summer vacation even as a kid.

My little chicks have gotten so big already and I really like them. About two weeks ago, I started building them a tractor so that I can house them away from my big chickens for a few more weeks. I had everything but the door completed and then my DH came home from his trip. He built the door and then said what are you doing with your old wheel barrow? Well, nothing probably...So, he took the wheels and the handle off of it and here is what happened:

Its a little small for 7 chicks at 3x7 but it will be ok for a little longer. I'm able to move them to a new shady spot every day without any help. The dog house has a rectangular roost inside for them to sleep on at night or when it rains. There is hardware cloth on all sides except the bottom, which is large squared fencing. It keeps everything together when I move the tractor. The chicks just jump up on a wire and go for a ride! I have to set it down very slowly so that they don't pinch any toes though.

The blurry chicken is my Black Australorp (we haven't settled on a name yet), the peachy one is an EE named Elsa (I used to think it was a roo, but now I'm thinking pullet), and in the back are the Welsummer (roo), and a Mille Fleur d'Uccle (roo).

Here you can see my little OEGB. I think she is called a silver duckwing, but there really aren't words to describe how pretty the silver penciling is on her feathers.
love.gif

I am not sure if you can see it well, but my first raised bed is almost finished. The tops need cut off of the posts and the edge frame needs put on the top, but I love it!!! When the one on the other side is done, we will be able to put the cattle panel arch from one side to the other so we can grow some peas, cucumbers, etc over the arch and not take up so much room in the bed. Also, I know they are too small to see, but our little dwarf apple trees in there are doing really well. I have one Honeycrisp because they are my favorite eating apple and one Rome because it was the tastiest of the pollinator apples on the list. Some day they will be nice shade for the chickens but far enough away from the beds to not block their sun. Also, we have the post holes dug for the run extension. Its going to be just 5x16, but in the winter or on days I won't be home, it will be nice for them to have more space that is safe.

Yesterday, I spent about 4 hours shoveling the old sand out of the coop into the run, scrubbing walls, and replacing the sand. Wow, what a difference. I used the vinegar recipe from Fresh Eggs Daily that had White Vinegar (just for cleaning), orange rinds, cinnamon sticks, and vanilla beans steeped for about a month. I also added some cloves and allspice just because I love them, but it worked like a charm and smelled so much better than regular vinegar. I used a bit of the sand when I needed some extra scrubbing power.

I also have one hen, Bella, sitting on 3 eggs in my basement and she is due any day this week. I didn't write down the start date, so I'm thinking she's on about day 16, but its a guess.

So, gardeners, what would you use to fill the raised beds with? I saw a video not long ago from the man who came up with the square foot gardening theory and he suggested compost, vermiculite, and moss. His gardens are only 6" deep not 24" so I'm not sure how that would work out. I was thinking topsoil, compost, and vermiculite. Any suggestions? Its going in tomorrow whatever we decide.

Happy Sunday everyone!
Love your Yard it looks so natural and friendly. Your babies are so sweet and I want your Chicken tractor..LOL. I would never have thought of using an old wheelbarrel for the handes and wheel!
Ive missed reading your posts and hope all is well with ya.

The peachy one is an EE named Elsa (I used to think it was a roo, but now I'm thinking pullet),

Okay, that's hilarious. I have a white and buff EE that my daughter immediately named Elsa. One of our golden comets, who is almost all red with just a little white around the corners, is Anna.

My other EE was hard to sex, too. But the more time goes by, the more pullet she looks. From reading the several EE sexing threads, I think they're problematic in general.

Outstanding re-use of a wheelbarrow, by the way!

Thank you!! If she lived closer, we would definitely encourage the eat and run! I really love my mom, but it turns out that all the habits I have that make my DH crazy, I got from her. So, when she's here, he gets my greatly reduced version (he's been working on training me for awhile now
roll.png
)and her completely undiluted version at the same time. Can you imagine never getting to finish a sentence because two people are constantly interrupting you? My mom wonders why he's so quiet when she's here
lau.gif
. She just doesn't understand that its all for the best that he's quiet.
wink.png

I'm not really sure. Our town only has a TSC, but I found it there in the horse area.
Roflmbo...My Momma is my bestest friend but she can be a real pain in the tusch too! My Husband thinks the world of her and would do anything for her...BUT he recently found out that just three weeks before we"ran away" and got married she told me: "Ricks a good guy, he is a fabulous friend but dont ever marry him hes NOT marraige material"... He just laughed and said hes glad she changed her mind.
duc.gif
Um...shhhhhh!!! NO she hasnt! she just told me a couple days ago when I was "complaining" what did I tell you before you ran off...LOL. Sometimes I think I married my fathers twin! Mom saw it way before I did! I got so many habits from my Mom also but am NOT as tolerant nor as submissive as she was with Dad. I dont see that as a problem, she does and thats one thing that I can honestly say my Husb. says he wishes I would have gotten from her...
lau.gif
NO GONNA HAPPEN!

Last edited:
Hey all.
It's me chiming in again saying thank you for the inputs regarding my hens from a couple days ago. The answers make sense and now I have a different question if I may:

I have a hen scheduled to hatch this coming weekend who's currently laying in a nesting box. I want to move her and the chicks to a different location after the hatch.
They will be separated from the rest of the flock by chicken wire but my concern is that it's in a location on deep litter. The litter is dry, deep and fluffy.
Will having her raise them in this location be a concern at any level?

Thank you again.

Just in case I havent already said..."Welcome to all the new peeps on here" its great to see so many new names posting! I know Im an "honorary" (and ornery) Indiana Bycer but I Love youz guys!
Oh and BTW Brad Selig...Diamond layed her first egg yesterday...and Earl is doing his job cuz it was definately fertile!!! I am in the market for a Blue/ gray or black hen for my new Roo..Rudy. He keeps trying to steal Diamond, so far he hasnt been a good jewel thief and Earl is VERY protective and dominating!

Last edited:
If I was anywhere near you I would be there in a heartbeat to support your efforts. Just as another possible means of support...go to the High Schools...visit the FFA and 4H advisors and see if any of them would be willing to stand up with you. I know the FFA advisor in my area was a very big help getting the Counsel to reconsider any "banning"  in our area.  I wish you the best of luck.

Exactly the kind of ideas I was hoping for, had not thought of that but I will be trying to pursue that avenue as it makes perfect sense. Thank you for the input!

So I finally posted my (Pallet Pallace Coop) in the coops and runs design section. If y'all get a chance check it out! Been really busy around here. I candled my eggs again, all but 6 showed signs of growth over a couple days ago. Hope everyone is doing great, have a good night and week ahead!!

Back
Top Bottom