INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Using Electricity in the Coop:

Though I am starkly against heating the coop, I do two things, at least one of which frequently seems to surprise people: 1, I have a baby monitor in the coop at all times, and 2, I use a heated water source in the wintertime. What makes this different than heating the coop? Well, neither thing emits any heat to the coop itself. The bucket, particularly, only keeps the water within it from freezing, and I empty and unplug it every night—the coop needs no more moisture than the hens are already providing!

Because of this, and my previous post, I thought I would go over a few things to keep in mind for safety when using electricity in the coop.

Always use extension cords that are rated for outside use and able to handle the amount of electricity you plan to run through them! This seems simple enough, but is surprisingly not often taken into consideration. Also, and I must stress this, do not use one of those multiple-plug adapters in your coop! I literally have one collecting dust because I used to use it in my coop. I shudder to think! Those things are barely safe for use in one's house, let alone in the coop!

The cord check! At least twice a month, though preferably once a week or more, you should check the entire length of every cord used in or leading to the coop for any signs of wear and tear, fraying, chewing, etc. Any open wires are a fire hazard, even if they are outside of the coop, as they can short and cause issues. I've also heard of fire traveling the length of the cord and reaching the coop eventually.

Dusting! Dust is one of the major fire hazards of using electricity in the coop. After checking the cords and making sure all is well with them, be sure to dust any and all outlets, plugs (at both ends of any extension cords!), speakers, battery compartments, etc. that are involved with the coop. I usually dust mine by holding them so they point down and blowing up into them to push any dust out of them, preferably with condensed air or an air compressor or bicycle pump to avoid getting spittle up in there.

Once all is said and done, if everything is functioning properly and secure, rest easy until it's time for the next check.

Story time! :D A while ago, though shamefully not in the era I like to call ‘before I knew better’, I had an extension cord incident that has stuck with me. This was before I had taken into consideration safety precautions with using electricity in the coop. The cord that went to the coop was hanging over a bucket frequently used to toss garbage in outside. Somehow, and the way it happened is unclear although there are smokers in the house and it’s easy to assume that has something to do with it, that bucket of garbage was set on fire.

The next morning, the monitor was off and the breaker thrown on the outlet that that cord was plugged into. When I checked the length of the cord to figure out why, I found a puddle of plastic and ash that used to be the garbage bucket, and open, crisply burnt wires that used to be an extension cord. That was chilling!

Check your cords frequently, folks! I think that’s what my point was with story time. :lol: Being that I have had so little sleep and am up significantly earlier than I usually am, I don't think I can remember properly at this point.

Okay, I'm gonna try to sleep now... :th

I feel like I'm going to wake up in the morning, reread my posts, and have one of those 'this is your brain, this is your brain on drugs' type of moments. :lol: Yeesh...

Last edited:
IMO, as adults, I think we call can make our own decision on whether to heat the coops or not. From my personal experience, I know that MOST chickens can do just fine in bitter cold temps without heat. The only ones that I will add heat to are my modern games or I will just bring them back inside over winter. They are a hard feathered breed (know fluffy down feathers) and it is commonly understood that they are not able to take cold temperatures. So I do believe that not all chickens are able to handle the cold. I have seen how cold effects moderns when I was at the breeders house one day an temps started to drop to around 40F as the day progressed and the chickens (adults) instantly fluffed up, stumbling, and lethargic. Reminded me of how a chick acts when it had coccidia. It was amazing the difference of the birds in less than the 2 hrs I was there. Once the breeder noticed the temp change, his daughter brought the birds back I to the heated bantam coop to warm up. He said if he had left them out they would have been dead.

Last edited:
Just to restate a few points from my above post:

It is unnecessary except under very specific conditions.

It is better heating one’s coop with safety precautions in mind than just slapping something up out there.

My whole point in posting is to ... point out the dangers for those determined to heat their coops anyway.

I do not expect everyone in the habit of doing so to drop the idea of heating their coop altogether just because of my posts ... but hope that I make them aware of the substantial dangers so that they can take safety precautions beforehand and be prepared for things like power outages.

I don't like absolutes and try to avoid them when I'm aware because there is always an exception (see what I did there? ;) ) like the modern game bantams. That's why in a previous post a few pages back, I recommended using common sense--if a bird is ailing, unable to maintain its balance, not acting right, etc., then yes, it does need help! But this should be the exception, not the rule, and it's safer to provide heat only to those that need it rather than to the entire flock for those few individuals, just like you say you do, Brad. :)

ETA: My point. My goal is to educate, not to dictate. I strongly recommend against heating the coop under normal circumstances, but list the dangers as well for awareness. Y'all will be sick of my posts by December (probably already are :oops: ), but at least you should all have a basic level of knowledge of what to look out for and what to be prepared for if you do choose to heat your coop. That's my point.

Man, I was happy last night... Must've used close to a dozen 'lol' smilies! :confused: Oh, well.

Last edited:
In the winter I sleep in the coop with my chickens, and we share body heat on the colder nights. During the day they have the certainty of my love to keep them warm.

Last edited:
In the winter I sleep in the coop with my chickens, and we share body heat on the colder nights. During the day they have the certainty of my love to keep them warm.

I've said it before...do I have to repeat myself???? Sheesh..... UPSTAIRS BEDROOM. Neither of you have to go outside at all. If you don't have an upstairs bedroom, main floor or basement will do too.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS TOTALLY IN JEST. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE AS ANYTHING SERIOUS OR AS A SLAM ON ANYONE. JUST BEING SILLY.

I've said it before...do I have to repeat myself???? Sheesh.....  UPSTAIRS BEDROOM.  Neither of you have to go outside at all.  If you don't have an upstairs bedroom, main floor or basement will do too.

DISCLAIMER:  THIS IS TOTALLY IN JEST.  PLEASE DO NOT TAKE AS ANYTHING SERIOUS OR AS A SLAM ON ANYONE.  JUST BEING SILLY.

I'm on my phone, so naturally it messed up my quotes. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I know you were kidding, but I did consider for a long time trying to get my parents to let me convert the basement or attached garage into a winter coop so that I wouldn't have to go directly outside in the weather. I somehow still think that wouldn't fly with them, though... ;)

Well, it looks like our central AC is shot. If we can't repair it and have to replace it we'll have to delay getting chickens, as it will eat up the money we were saving for the coop, run and other stuff we need. Very depressed....
hit.gif
Sorry about your AC that is hard to go out in the heat and work and then come in to a hot house too!! As far as the delay in your coops, you can get ll kinds of free wood to build with on HT and CL and freecycle.com and just keeping an eye out as you drive around paying bills ect... every coop we have ( 6 ) was built from recycled stuff. We are getting a metal shed this weekend ( I hope ) and that will be the first coop we paid anything for. Some other members have used recycled stuff for their coops too, I'm sure you cold get all kinds of ideals, and they have a few on the BYC coop page too.
Good luck hope you get it all sorted out soon.
fl.gif

@jchny2000 ~ I love your barnyard tales!
tongue.png
I hope those roos aren't trying to mate your piglets. The minute I let my Jubilee Adeline out for a break today, my Mille Fleur roo hopped on her back and stood there like, "Now what am I supposed to do?!"
@bradselig ~ Congrats on your new job!
cool.png
You learned a lot at Lowe's -- like when it's time to move on! lol Seriously though, I'm sure you learned valuable skills like dealing with the public (both good and bad experiences are beneficial), working under pressure, learning retail, etc. It's too bad that big chain stores --and other businesses, too, don't see a correlation between treating employees well and happy customers/sales. I realize the issue is far more complex than that, but it's sad to see businesses burn out their employees. Anyway, we'll look forward to hearing about your new method of supporting your chicken habit!
@EurekaChic
So sorry to hear about your unexpected need of a new central air!
hugs.gif
Don't be discouraged about having to put off getting chickens. You can use the crate that your new central air unit arrives in for your coop.
wink.png
It's true though, we often talk about the expense of chickens when discussing building custom coops and runs. But many of our members have brilliant ideas repurposing things for coops, feeders, etc. You could start with two LF pullets, which wouldn't be difficult. Your DH could have the eggs, and you could have cheery, interesting pets to keep your spirits up.
smile.png

Good to hear you crowing again! Luckily it's not loud enough to wake me up in the morning.
tongue.png

Originally posted by atrueb00 Do you say ragdoll cause you can hold onto it any which way and it doesn't care? Cause I have one of those and had a lot of cats, but never one like this. She lays in the oddest positions too. Very cute pic! :)

@raisinemright Adorable photo! Here's my little girl with her Ragdoll cat she adopted (sorry it's a repeat photo).

@atrueb00
Ragdolls are purebred cats known for being docile and limp like a ragdoll. Here is my Humane Society cat, Lionel pictured in my chicken carrier-- (last time I showed his brother Purrcy in the carrier). Although they aren't Ragdolls, they have the trait of being so relaxed that they're limp.

Very cute kitties.

Strange feeling today. I'm sitting in my house with the urge and feeling that I needed to do something outside. The wierd thing is I don't have anything to do??? Yes there will always be little things that should (but can wait) be done, but no major projects to do! No coops to build no pasture fence to be put up. Yesterday I finished my last big project and that was a hog pen for our Duroc boar. Now I'm at a loss. It has been such a busy spring and summer that it doesn't seem right to just be sitting down watching tv! I need to find something to do, I've already drank the usual amount if coffee!
I hate it when I feel like that it usually gets me into trouble... ( I'll start something not on the list... lol )

I know! I am super stressed trying to find hay and trying to get these projects done. I can't do another winter without electric out in the coop! I don't have enough available outlets to run cords from the barn and will need 3 heated waterers plugged in for the chickens, so that is a must to get done.

And my only exit door to go out and care for animals is off my living room, last year most of the winter I had snow drifted high against that door so when I would open the door to check on the animals it would dump 4 ft of snow on my wood floors in the living room....can't do that again. So alas I need to cut a new door into my garage to exit through when there is snow. I will feel great once I get these things done, but figuring out how to buy 300 bales of hay and do these projects in the next 3 months is a bit scary!!! Ahhhhhh stressssss!
We are lucky this year cause we have a hay man that is letting us buy a little at a time but is holding what we want back, in other words we are making payments on it every week... lol And as we have NO ROOM for all we have to have to get us through the winter we only pick up a few at a time. We have to feed all year round cause we have 1 too many horses on our pasture.

I know I quoted a lot more than this?????? what happened to them????? now I got to go back and reread to find them, I'm so far behind now it aint even funny!!

Back
Top Bottom