INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Leahs Mom-
I just read my email & noticed that I blabbered on without first saying thank you for your advice. I honestly just started describing my set up to see if there's anything others could point out as good or in need of improvement. I don't know it all. I only know what I've tried. I might be doing something right or I might have just been lucky. I've learned so much these past couple years through the sink or swim method.

I didn't take it that way at all!
smile.png

But...I'm off to bed.

smiley-face-yawn.gif

Wouldn't it, though?
celebrate.gif

That's pretty cool about the Cemanis!! Hoping for a good hatch! I have to say, though, I've adored Seramas since I first laid eyes on them--they're on my 'must' list.
love.gif
I would offer to take some of them in a heartbeat if I had the room. Caboose is such a handsome little guy!

Ugh, don't get me started on the weekend being over...
rant.gif
At least tomorrow is a relatively light day as far as classes go. Still, lots to do around here with winter prep, quarantine prep, and duck coop building.

Oh, man, I'm really feeling all that work I did earlier, especially in the arms...
th.gif
Good night, folks!

Well, I WAS thinking about selling all my Serama ... then when I was tending birds this evening, I opened up the chicken tractor to see Caboose sheltering the two oldest Serama chicks under his wings ... melted my heart. I don't know that I can part with him -- he is such a great little roo!

Would people be interested in a meet-up/swap meet/party in Brown county next summer?
Campine~ Sounds great!
@kabhyper1 ~ Your farm is so picturesque. You and your DH have a great life-- and so do your lucky animals!
@Faraday40 ~ Educating people about chickens is such a wonderful service project that you and your children are involved in. Much of the prejudice about the idea of having backyard chickens is based on misinformation passed down through the years like, "I've heard chickens are dirty and carry diseases." "Chickens are dumb."
roll.png
People are ignorant.
wink.png

@yankeedoodling ~ Your all-black chicken is SO cool! Keep us posted on how they're doing and what their personalities are like. I think that I recently read that @bradselig is hatching some.
Your Serama is a gorgeous rooster, too!

@jchny2000 ~ That's unfortunate that The Predators are within your flock~ A Gang of Egg-stealing Ducks!
sad.png

Leahs Mom-
I just read my email & noticed that I blabbered on without first saying thank you for your advice. I honestly just started describing my set up to see if there's anything others could point out as good or in need of improvement. I don't know it all. I only know what I've tried. I might be doing something right or I might have just been lucky. I've learned so much these past couple years through the sink or swim method.
Many of us learn that way too! I had some education from both my grandmothers on caring of farm animals. Thats been 28 years ago, so much of it I haven't retained. Every so often tho, something happens and I think "Ahhh thats what gramma said too!"

Quote: I would have a hard time giving that rooster up too. I value my roos to begin with, and you have a real keeper there.
My OEGBs are fantastic dads. I love to watch them interact and teach chicks what to eat. My idea of a good rooster is how he treats his hens and his chicks also.

welcome-byc.gif
Candy~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread! We're happy to have another Honorary Hoosier member from Michigan!
Its causing me to not let them free range, not a good situation at all. I know 4 of my original hens are not doing it, they tend to go into the main coop at night. They lay their eggs under the nest boxes like they always have.The problem seems to be the drakes that hatched later this spring. I let my main flock out first now, and collect eggs before I open the waterfowl coop. There are still 5 drakes and the remaining 13 hens that are stealing eggs, so am weeding out the bad guys. DH wants me to keep some
roll.png
Its pretty easy to tell, they usually, literally, have egg on their faces
lau.gif

Last edited:
Quote: Cocci can hit at any age, chicks are more prone to it in the first week, and some say 3rd week. damp chilly conditions seem to invite it. Damp conditions period is what I have seen, stress can also bring it on when a birds immunity is compromised.
My brush with cocci in chickens was with meat birds I brought home 2 years ago. They were pretty dirty, and in muddy conditions. I should not have traded for them. Already 4 weeks old, and I don't think the tractor they were in had ever been moved. I got them home, and in 2 days found them to be droopy, listless and feathers poofed out. I started reading and looking on BYC and realized it was cocci. Got corid, and saved all but one. The only bird that was pooping blood is the one that died.The coop they moved into had not housed animals before, it was a storage shed Dad built with a gravel floor, and only had a few rakes and shovels in it. I have seen rehomed adult birds get it if they are exposed to the ground too fast. Adults I bring in are caged off the ground to prevent that problem too.
Main thing to remember is dry conditions. Cocci can't thrive if its dry. Allow adults time to acclimate slowly to the new flock and what they are exposed to.

I just wanted to introduce myself. I started keeping chickens about 4 years ago. We have 21 chickens (including 3 roosters). I have been reading some of the posts and we have come on to BYC for help with questions. Today, I found this thread for BYCers from Indiana. I would love to go to this Chickenfest everyone has been talking about. We are near Fort Wayne so northern Indiana would work great for us.

When my husband comes home he opens the door to let them free range while he can watch them. They know he is home but hasn't opened the door yet so they apparently are planning to knock it over with sheer weight. The LOVE to free range and get all those yummy bugs. And, of course, dig in my mulch and maybe eat a flower or two.

twoboystwogirls ~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread! I love your photo of your flock ready to flee the coop. I bet your husband looks forward to letting them out. Chickens are so fun to watch!
Please check out the links at the bottom of my post to find out about our fun Indiana Thread!

Chicken run floor ~ I've tried various methods, but have gone back to the deep litter methods, but I really like the addition of pea gravel. It helps break up clumps, keep the area dry, and cleans the chickens' feet. I just buy a bag at Lowe's every once in a while.
@SallyinIndiana I enjoyed your beautiful photos of your farm. Looks like all of your hard work has paid off. And your goats . . . there's just something so endearing about goats!
@jchny2000 @Leahs Mom My DH and I had our identities stolen around eight years ago. They were caught and we were invited to the trial (didn't go-- I'm thinking it was in Ft. Wayne). It was an organized crime group that used a computer program to duplicate people's checks and credit card numbers. Luckily, my DH checked our accounts online every day, so that was a huge help. Overall, it was a terrible experience, but checking your bank/credit card, etc. accounts every day is what the fraud experts recommend, and it's just a matter of getting into the routine-- just like checking in daily to our Indiana Thread!

Back
Top Bottom