INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Idk how to start a new post and not just reply but... We got our first egg! We have RIR and a RIR/White Rock
wee.gif

Just cleaned out our layers coop in the barn!! This was a much needed chore to be done!! But it now looks good and the chickens should be happy happy happy, at least for a little while. Still need two more coops done!

I'm putting in a few nesting boxes and going to use ceramic fake eggs (x2) to try and coax the hens into laying in the boxes. Our daily egg hunt is getting a little out of control. Hopefully the false eggs do the trick!

Hi everyone. I haven't been on in I don't know how long. Well I am moving out of state and have found homes for almost all my chickens. BUT.. I have some Millie Roos that need good homes, 2 little ones and 5 adults. Please email me if interested. Need to be gone soon or I'll have to give them to a neighbor who will keep them in cages and just take them to nasty swap meets!! Cute little guys. And they are free!! Willing to meet if not to far!

My informative post of the month.

With spring coming, I think many of us will be considering expanding our coops and a few of our newer members might be still planning their first coop.
I'm going to highly recommend the coop made from a shed. Sheds pop up on craigslist often, sometimes for free if someone will just move them.

The moving is the hard part for the average person. Myself I found a used shed and a shed mover. It worked out great. The shed mover has a post on CL.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grq/4922953609.html

He is great, he will even track down the size of a shed you want if possible. He also sells economy new sheds, but a used shed works wonders for a chicken coop.

Steps for converting a shed in the simplest way.
1. either add a door for the chickens or allow them to use the human door.
2. Add a couple of roosting bars. This is rather easy as they do not have to be perfectly straight (level is good though) and many sheds are framed in a way that it is so easy to screw down a 2x4 onto the existing framing
3. Put in a nesting box or two. For simple starters this can be a bucket or a milk crate.

A shed can also be converted into a fancy chicken house complete with sections. For a good example here, I recommend looking at @Leahs Mom 's coop pictures. For a good example of breeding pens inside of a shed, this gingerbread coop is a nice setup. Lots of dividing going on in the run area to keep the breeds pure. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pepparkakor-h-nshus-gingerbread-henhouse

My informative post of the month.

With spring coming, I think many of us will be considering expanding our coops and a few of our newer members might be still planning their first coop.
I'm going to highly recommend the coop made from a shed. Sheds pop up on craigslist often, sometimes for free if someone will just move them.

The moving is the hard part for the average person. Myself I found a used shed and a shed mover. It worked out great. The shed mover has a post on CL.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grq/4922953609.html

Back
Top Bottom