INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I power washed the barn floor yesterday. And cleaned Big Roosty's window where he hangs out watching for hawks and anything that moves. He is acting like a kid who just got glasses and can see for the first time!

I have a Hen inside getting over sour crop. No idea how she got it...but she did. On Sunday night, I was starting to get worried because she continued to look weaker and weaker by the hour. I found an article online mentioning to give them red wine. It was about 10pm and I said to my husband "I'm going to run and get some red wine" He looked at me kinda funny, then reminded me it was Sunday. Crap, thats right Indiana!
he.gif
So then I said, "Are there any bars open?" Of course by now he was asking me why I wanted to drink so badly. LOL I told him it wasn't for me, it was for Penelope.

So here is how you know you love your chickens so much , that you are willing to go to a bar, on a Sunday @ 10pm, order a glass of red wine for your chicken.(I don't even drink red wine) My plan was to sneak it with an empty syringe full home in my purse. I thought surely if they ask me what I was doing I would have told them it was for my sick chicken. I'm sure they would understand!
ep.gif

Turns out no bars close enough were still open. We tried to find one that was open, but the GPS on my phone sent us somewhere totally different! Anyways...I got back home feeling helpless and decided to try ACV and did the trick...well that and getting as much water as I could in her and massaging her crop a ton...oh and some Kefir...she is not too fond of the Key Lime Pie flavor.

Today she is doing so much better! She is at the back door sun bathing and preening! One happy chicken momma!!!

I have a trio of Favs coming!!! Been waiting for a Roo from the breeder I got my first faverolle hen from last year. Good news is I get two more hens with him!!
If any of you have been to the Fort Wayne's children's zoo and seen the chickens in the Indiana farm's little coop. Those Faverolles are from the same breeding I got my first hen from! So I will be breeding them hopefully this year. Pretty excited

Last edited:
I have a trio of Favs coming!!! Been waiting for a Roo from the breeder I got my first faverolle hen from last year. Good news is I get two more hens with him!!
If any of you have been to the Fort Wayne's children's zoo and seen the chickens in the Indiaba farm's little coop. Those Faverolles are from the same breeding I got my first hen from! So I will be breeding them hopefully this year. Pretty excited

WOOHOO !! Congrats on your new birds !!!

I forgot to mention, we fell into a Surge milker for our dairy goats!! Been looking for almost two years for one and have not seen any used come available! Finally on Craigslist yesterday one was on there. It's capable of milking four teats at a time (or just two) we picked it up tonight and it's going to make life a lot easier.
It's on a two wheel cart and I can't wait to use it. Right now it has two cow size cups I need to purchase goat cups for it.

Last edited:
If any of you have been to the Fort Wayne's children's zoo and seen the chickens in the Indiana farm's little coop. Those Faverolles are from the same breeding I got my first hen from! So I will be breeding them hopefully this year. Pretty excited

These will be Salmon Fav's also. They really are a nice calm bird. And great layers

I forgot to mention, we fell into a Surge milker for our dairy goats!! Been looking for almost two years for one and have not seen any used come available! Finally on Craigslist yesterday one was on there. It's capable of milking four teats at a time (or just two) we picked it up tonight and it's going to make life a lot easier.
It's on a two wheel cart and I can't wait to use it. Right now it has two cow size cups I need to purchase goat cups for it.

That will be really nice to have, my daughter has milks\ed up to 10 goats by hand

Just being nosy and a bit curious but how much does a used surge milker cost. I have a jar milker to try but milk gets in the tubes so clean up is going to take a bit of time. I got it to save my hands as well as to keep as much dirt, hair and bugs out of the milk.

I power washed the barn floor yesterday. And cleaned Big Roosty's window where he hangs out watching for hawks and anything that moves. He is acting like a kid who just got glasses and can see for the first time!

I have a Hen inside getting over sour crop.  No idea how she got it...but she did.  On Sunday night, I was starting to get worried because she continued to look weaker and weaker by the hour. I found an article online mentioning to give them red wine.  It was about 10pm and I said to my husband "I'm going to run and get some red wine" He looked at me kinda funny, then reminded me it was Sunday. Crap, thats right Indiana! :he  So then I said, "Are there any bars open?" Of course by now he was asking me why I wanted to drink so badly. LOL I told him it wasn't for me, it was for Penelope. 

So here is how you know you love your chickens so much , that  you are willing to go to a bar, on a Sunday @ 10pm, order a glass of red wine for your chicken.(I don't even drink red wine) My plan was to sneak it with an empty syringe full home in my purse.  I thought surely if they ask me what I was doing I would have told them it was for my sick chicken.  I'm sure they would understand! :eek:
Turns out no bars close enough were still open.  We tried to find one that was open, but the GPS on my phone sent us somewhere totally different!  Anyways...I got back home feeling helpless and decided to try ACV and did the trick...well that and getting as much water as I could in her and massaging her crop a ton...oh and some Kefir...she is not too fond of the Key Lime Pie flavor. 

Today she is doing so much better!  She is at the back door sun bathing and preening!  One happy chicken momma!!!

Haha, I wish a bar was open just to see what the bar tender would have said! Glad she's doing better, you're such a good momma!

Just being nosy and a bit curious but how much does a used surge milker cost.  I have a jar milker to try but  milk gets in the tubes so clean up is going to take a bit of time.  I got it to save my hands as well as to keep as much dirt, hair and bugs out of the milk. 
[/]
You can expect to pay $400-$700 (if you can find one) for a working milker. We just payed 4 for ours. I made a jar hand pump last year and trust me you will not save much in the way of hands! Hope I didn't burst your bubble but they are a bit of a pain. Now the bonus to any style milker is the cleanliness of the milk being in a closed system. We used some friends milker at the fair and after that there was no question I needed/wanted one.

Back
Top Bottom