INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Went to RK for a heat lamp bulb but got really distracted, forgot the heat lamp bulb entirely (two children were with me, one's autistic and having a 'bad day'), started nursing a very weak turkey poult back to a semblance of health, bought her and a few others (even though I swore I would never get BB turkeys ever again), but my efforts proved too little too late. I got to snuggle with her all the way home, but when I put her in the brooder, she started flopping around and shortly later was gasping. I tried some sugar water, but she stopped breathing a few minutes later and CPR wasn't enough to bring her back.

I'm just stupid where turkeys are concerned. There is something unstoppably, irresistibly endearing about turkey poults. Bacon was love at first sight for me, and sadly, this little poult was too. I saw her from the corner of an eye as I was looking for sweet pdz and wood chips, and I knew she needed me. Now I'm down to hoping she died feeling loved.

hugs.gif
You are not Stupid at all! You cared enough to try. Keep in mind thats what fuels these people to sell more weak poults, someone cares, buys them, and you and the poult suffer. Poultry farms like this should be ashamed, as well as the farm store continuing to do this! Just sad.
I flat adore raising poults. You did all you could, I am so sorry you had this loss. Poults do not ship well, and the stress of a farm store will do them in pretty fast.
The poults at the farm stores are usually the BB variety, very low livability. You would enjoy raising a heritage breed a lot more. I do raise BB turkeys for food. We order direct to our house, and those poults we all know why they are here. I still treat them like pets and make sure they have love and interaction. They have a life.

You have seen my Puppy girl, a BBW thats 2 years old, and Bacon of course is still here, forever! PM me, I am setting eggs weekly and I think you will just adore a heritage bird. Heritage turkeys live for YEARS, the turkeys at the feed stores will have a very short life span, normally suffer a heart attack or splay legs from their weight. @racinchickins @SallyinIndiana and I all raise endangered breeds that are heritage turkeys. Just as gorgeous as Bacon, but will be with you a lot longer and a more manageable size too. Bottom line, the heritage breeds are a manageable size and wont need much more care than your average chicken.

Check with @kabhyper1
or @bradselig
there is a few other silkie keepers on our thread also. Member list is at the bottom of my post, and it has info of who breeds what. Hope that helps.
[/quote]
:D
Thank you so much! :yiipchick look like they might be a little far north for me to be able to get to easily (I am in the southern Indiana/louisville area) but I will keep my eyes open. I refuse to give up my search! Looks like @kabhyper1 is basically living my dream raising alpacas and silkies :bow

It's been a really busy week here--we hatched 18 chicks (counting the one in progress and the last egg alive but waiting to pip), and I picked up three English blue Orpington hens.

I don't know what my curse is, but TWO different people who wanted large numbers of Jubilees have blown me off. One bought a large flock of adults without even having the courtesy of telling me. The other one received 10 Mottled Orps for her birthday and is no longer looking for Jubilees. SIGH SIGH SIGH because I set quite a few Jubilees in anticipation of these "orders." I have learned my lesson and will not take any more orders without deposits.

So if anyone would like some very darling Jubilee Orp chicks, I have several available now and more coming!

Check with @kabhyper1
or @bradselig
there is a few other silkie keepers on our thread also. Member list is at the bottom of my post, and it has info of who breeds what. Hope that helps.

:D
Thank you so much! :yiipchick look like they might be a little far north for me to be able to get to easily (I am in the southern Indiana/louisville area) but I will keep my eyes open. I refuse to give up my search! Looks like @kabhyper1 is basically living my dream raising alpacas and silkies :bow[/quote]

I have hatching eggs I can ship to you if you want to hatch your own. :)

to Ellymaerans, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the Norah Jones quote! I like to think that if you go through life without laugh lines something is terribly wrong!

Ellen S.

Thanks..It's actually not her quote originally. .saw it as a poster board from her and I love her and it sounded like something that She would say. lol!

Chicks have started hatching today in the incubator. Now I'm trying to stay out of the basement and let them hatch in peace.

My question for the thread is:

I'll not be setting tomorrow's chicken eggs, is there anyone interested in tomorrows chicken eggs? There would not be a whole lot of any one breed but It would be a nice assortment.

In a half asleep brain fog this morning, I went to TSC to get feed because we have been out for a day (scratch dinner last night). Well I got home and went to put it in the feeder, and realized I got pellets instead of crumbles. They all looked at me like I was nuts. Instantly they went from ravenously hungry, to 'nevermind we'll peck around elsewhere'.
roll.png
Surely they will est the pellets if they are hungry enough won't they? I had been considering switching them to pellets anyway. I guess this will be the test.
Mine all adjusted to the pellets. I find that they go farther than the crumbles--not as easy to scratch out and if they are scattered, they can still be picked up.

Newbie to the forum AND chickies, currently the owner of two RIRs and one Ameracana. ISO silkie girls if anyone in the Clarksville/southern indiana area can help me out
big_smile.png
Try Martha Light in Kentucky. [email protected] Has lovely silkies.

Greetings, everyone!

Sorry if I am hijacking any conversations, but I figured this would be a good place to post about my desire to acquire a good broody hen.

I live about 25 minutes east of Indianapolis and am looking for a couple proven broody hens. Age, breed and laying ability aren't important. I just want a couple devoted mommas. They don't have to be broody just now. Small preference for non-evil broodies.
smile.png
Please feel free to private message with anything you would be willing to offer. Include price and location in your response. Really hoping someone can help me! I've already tried craigslist and facebook.
Hi Ravie and welcome! Had heard anything from you for a good while and wondered if you were still "chickening."

maybe an appenzeller spitzhauben?
Definitely a spitz! They're great birds--friendly, hardy, beautiful. The national bird of Switzerland.

It's been a really busy week here--we hatched 18 chicks (counting the one in progress and the last egg alive but waiting to pip), and I picked up three English blue Orpington hens.

I don't know what my curse is, but TWO different people who wanted large numbers of Jubilees have blown me off. One bought a large flock of adults without even having the courtesy of telling me. The other one received 10 Mottled Orps for her birthday and is no longer looking for Jubilees. SIGH SIGH SIGH because I set quite a few Jubilees in anticipation of these "orders." I have learned my lesson and will not take any more orders without deposits.

So if anyone would like some very darling Jubilee Orp chicks, I have several available now and more coming!

Sending you a PM.

(insert your own expletives here)

Returned the deceased turkey poult because I had to go back for that heat lamp anyway... and got talked into "packing peanuts". I don't even know how many birds I'm up to now.

7 older ducks (two Pekin drakes, one Pekin hen, two Rouen hens, one broody Swedish Black)
+ 2 2-wk-old ducklings (one Indian Runner, one Khaki Campbell. 11-yr-old daughter dubbed the Campbell "Brownie", and my 6-yr-old son named the Runner "Joe".)
9 ducks total

3 BB bronze turkey poults
+1 BB white turkey poult
4 turkeys total

5 8-wk-old chickens
7 7-wk-olds
5 chickies about 3 wks old
2 2-wk-olds
4 two-day-old packing peanuts
23 chicks

I'm overrun now, officially. Don't think I'm going to RK if I can help it--least not until chick days are over. We've lost four chicks all total, and an inordinate percentage of my 'pullets' wound up being boys, which is the single biggest reason we kept acquiring more. Good news is that I'll likely be selling most of them once they get older, and we know what their personalities, manners and egg colors are, which'll take out a lot of the guess work and gambling for all of you lovely people.

Genders being undecided on most, here's the counts:

2 Welsummers (one roo, one hen)
2 SL Wyandottes
1 GL Wyandotte
2 Buff Orpingtons (turned out after the dog killed the BO roo that he was my mom's favorite, so I bought two more as packing peanuts)
3 Australorps (2 pullets, and a straight run packing peanut, but I'm pretty sure it's a pullet 'cause it's already getting tail feathers)
2 Light Brahmas
3 Dark Brahmas
1 Miscellaneous dark red chick (a roo for sure, might be a Barnevelder or OEG but no promises. So far the only sure thing is this: Gorgeous)
1 Jersey Giant (pullet)
6 EEs
23 chickens

Back
Top Bottom