INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I've noticed pasty butt more of an issue with shipped chicks and feed store chicks (which have also been no shipped at some point). I think the stress is the cause. I rarely have issues since hatching my own. That being said, I've also noticed if the temps are off, i also have issues with pasty butt. Typically if it's too hot. Might double check but I thing your issue with pasty butt is from the shipping.
I've got a thermometer in on the floor of my brooder and due to the fact the chicks have no problem laying directly under the lamp, nor are they all scattered away from the lamp, I don't believe heat is an issue. They go out from the lamp to eat and drink, but they come back under to sleep, they don't huddle together in one clump either, you might see 2 - 3 sleeping together, but there will also be several individuals sleeping alone. I don't think temperature is a concern either too high or low. Thanks for the tips and information though.

I have one chick with Pasty butt as well. I got her right after she was shipped to Agrarian. I clean it off, put a little olive oil back there, and repeat a few times a day. I'm going to scramble an egg here shortly for them as a treat too.

I will know better in a week when I candle the few CCL eggs I set. But I think I'm in need of a Mating age CCL rooster.

@bradselig @racinchickins or anyone else out there have an extra mating age rooster. I have several little ones from January hatches but lately I think my CCL roo is slacking as the eggs are not fertile.

I've got a thermometer in on the floor of my brooder and due to the fact the chicks have no problem laying directly under the lamp, nor are they all scattered away from the lamp, I don't believe heat is an issue. They go out from the lamp to eat and drink, but they come back under to sleep, they don't huddle together in one clump either, you might see 2 - 3 sleeping together, but there will also be several individuals sleeping alone. I don't think temperature is a concern either too high or low. Thanks for the tips and information though.

Put apple cider vinegar in their water and manually clean their bottoms. At most, I've had to do it twice per chick. Brahmas seem more prone to it, for no apparent reason. I think it has more to do with what they drink than anything (hard vs soft water, mineral content, that sort of thing). Freshwater in the wild is soft because of CO2 diffusing into the water to make carbonic acid. Add all the decomposing organic matter on top of that, and you've got yourself even softer water due to tannins, peat, etc.

I couldn't stand it, five chicks just wasn't enough. I had five Barred Plymouth Rock chicks delivered from efowl.com on Friday, but my little flock looked so small, I couldn't stand it. Yesterday (Saturday), I knew I had to act fast, I went to the TSC here in Anderson and they had ISA Brown pullets with a minimum buy of six, but they looked to be about the same size and age of my Rocks so I went ahead and bought the minimum six after I went back home to do my research on ISA Browns to see if I thought they would be the kind of bird I might like to keep. I added them straight into the brooder with the four day old Rocks and suddenly my mild mannered Rocks became aggressive, and that surprised me considering how well they got along with each other. I shouldn't say they were all aggressive, there were a couple that acted as if the new birds had been there all along and didn't seem to care much one way or the other, but there were two in particular that were very aggressive towards the new chicks, in particular going after their eyes, they weren't doing any real damage and I decided they were going to work it out for themselves to get their pecking order established, but this is the reason I knew if I was going to be adding new birds to the flock, I needed to not wait until there would be a big difference in the ages of the birds, and I thought the younger the better too. The good news is that now that they've had some time together and slept a night together, everybody seems to have figured out their place for the most part and there's not nearly the aggression taking place there was yesterday.

Based upon coloring, and actions, I think one of my Rocks may well be a rooster (another deciding factor towards getting more pullets) and I live in the city. If he is in fact a he, I'd really like to keep him, but I'm worried about the crowing. I've discovered this product on YouTube (
), and it doesn't seem to hurt the rooster at all, but it sure makes his crow a lot less pronounced and I'm considering something like this if he is in fact a he. I'm curious as to anybody with any experience with this or similar product, I'm not interested in harming the bird to keep him quiet, and I'd really hate to have to kill him just cause he's a he.

I'm also having a little bit of a pasty butt problem with the one I think might be a rooster, I've been putting apple cider vinegar in the drinking water, but it doesn't seem to be helping him. It's alright though, I've identified that he's a bird I have to give a little special care to and we're taking care of it, even if he's not a big fan of wet tail feathers. So far, eleven birds and all still alive and active.

Now I have to build a bigger chicken coop this week.

I had one ISA brown, several Rhode Island Reds and one Red Sex Link. They're all related and a lot alike. Personality wise, the ISA was the most retiring of the bunch, a very good layer of large, light brown eggs, very quiet bird but perpetually scared. She didn't like being picked up (unlike the RSL one one of the RIR). RIR derivative breeds are very good at knowing who belongs and who doesn't. Try to avoid integrating more into their flock once they get older, but if you do, be careful and make sure the 'invaders' have an accessible place to hide from the natives or have a completely separate enclosure that allows the groups to see each other before mingling. From the sounds of it, they're a lot like your Rocks ;)

Regarding vinegar, try adding a little more in the water and/or manually clean him out (just like you've been doing, perhaps with some Neosporin or oil to help lube his tubes).

Hi again all,

I'm looking for avian vet suggestions in NW Indiana (I'm in South Bend). My chicken hasn't gotten better and has developed a consistent cough w/o runny nose or eye issues since we started tube feeding (the vet did it the first time, and maybe something dripped into her lungs or her trachea got irritated, or she picked up something at the vet), and I'm looking for second opinions from a vet w/ more chicken experience.

Thanks!

Quote: Originally Posted by AVAFarms Hi, new on here. Thought it was a good time to swing on in and say hi!
yippiechickie.gif

I checked out your etsy site, but didn't see any chicken-related items --hint hint
Originally Posted by Thebluegrassbel
Newbie to the forum AND chickies, currently the owner of two RIRs and one Ameracana. ISO silkie girls if anyone in the Clarksville/southern indiana area can help me out
big_smile.png

Originally Posted by ChicagoClucker
Hello, does anyone in Indiana raise BCM? I am from Chicago and am in search of some BCM pullets.
Click on this link (also located at the bottom of my posts) to find members in your areas that may have breeds you're looking for. INDIANA BYC Members' List
In a half asleep brain fog this morning, I went to TSC to get feed because we have been out for a day (scratch dinner last night). Well I got home and went to put it in the feeder, and realized I got pellets instead of crumbles. They all looked at me like I was nuts. Instantly they went from ravenously hungry, to 'nevermind we'll peck around elsewhere'.
roll.png
Surely they will eat the pellets if they are hungry enough won't they? I had been considering switching them to pellets anyway. I guess this will be the test.
@kabhyper1 Since our members have discussed "wet" food-- fermented or otherwise, I recently poured a little green vegetable juice on some pellets just enough to dampen it. My chickens acted like it was something special! Like most kids, I found that if I offer it occasionally they think it's more special.
wink.png
haha
@flyladyrocks ~ Jealous of your Orps from @kittydoc ! My Jubilee is molting.
sad.png

Sorry to hear about your family battling illnesses! And yours, too ~ @Faraday40 Illnesses passed along to the entire family can be depressing, but at least spring is trying to break through!
@bradselig ~ My blue silkie that I got from you a year ago seems to be molting only she isn't losing feathers, but new blue ones are growing in among faded gray ones. Is that how they molt? She will look stunning once all the new ones come in.
@SilverWolff ~ Sorry about the Howard County ordinance mix-up. At least I sent feedback to Indiana's Board Of Animal Health (BOAH) re listing chicken ordinances although I haven't heard back. It's so frustrating when you can't find info!

I couldn't stand it, five chicks just wasn't enough. I had five Barred Plymouth Rock chicks delivered from efowl.com on Friday, but my little flock looked so small, I couldn't stand it. Yesterday (Saturday), I knew I had to act fast, I went to the TSC here in Anderson and they had ISA Brown pullets with a minimum buy of six, but they looked to be about the same size and age of my Rocks so I went ahead and bought the minimum six after I went back home to do my research on ISA Browns to see if I thought they would be the kind of bird I might like to keep. I added them straight into the brooder with the four day old Rocks and suddenly my mild mannered Rocks became aggressive, and that surprised me considering how well they got along with each other. I shouldn't say they were all aggressive, there were a couple that acted as if the new birds had been there all along and didn't seem to care much one way or the other, but there were two in particular that were very aggressive towards the new chicks, in particular going after their eyes, they weren't doing any real damage and I decided they were going to work it out for themselves to get their pecking order established, but this is the reason I knew if I was going to be adding new birds to the flock, I needed to not wait until there would be a big difference in the ages of the birds, and I thought the younger the better too. The good news is that now that they've had some time together and slept a night together, everybody seems to have figured out their place for the most part and there's not nearly the aggression taking place there was yesterday.

Based upon coloring, and actions, I think one of my Rocks may well be a rooster (another deciding factor towards getting more pullets) and I live in the city. If he is in fact a he, I'd really like to keep him, but I'm worried about the crowing. I've discovered this product on YouTube (
), and it doesn't seem to hurt the rooster at all, but it sure makes his crow a lot less pronounced and I'm considering something like this if he is in fact a he. I'm curious as to anybody with any experience with this or similar product, I'm not interested in harming the bird to keep him quiet, and I'd really hate to have to kill him just cause he's a he.

I'm also having a little bit of a pasty butt problem with the one I think might be a rooster, I've been putting apple cider vinegar in the drinking water, but it doesn't seem to be helping him. It's alright though, I've identified that he's a bird I have to give a little special care to and we're taking care of it, even if he's not a big fan of wet tail feathers. So far, eleven birds and all still alive and active.

Now I have to build a bigger chicken coop this week.
Hi RouletteRun, I live on the south side of Chicago and was hoping my CCL Roo would be able to stay. A couple of the neighborhood children were over looking at the chickens, and a little girl said that the rooster wakes her father up during the day (he works overnites). Unfortunately I had to rehome him. He was beautiful. I also saw the collar on Youtube and was considering trying that on the next roo I try keeping. I did a search here on BYC and have seen mixed reviews. I am interested if anyone on the Indiana thread has tried them. Here is a pic of my handsome Roo.

I saw the collars after the fact, but was thinking of trying it the next time

Hey All! I've been shipping cochin ans silkie eggs all week and still have some. Was there anyone I missed that was wanting eggs from me that I overlooked? It's been A busy week and I can be scatterbrained lol.

Hi RouletteRun, I live on the south side of Chicago and was hoping my CCL Roo would be able to stay. A couple of the neighborhood children were over looking at the chickens, and a little girl said that the rooster wakes her father up during the day (he works overnites). Unfortunately I had to rehome him. He was beautiful. I also saw the collar on Youtube and was considering trying that on the next roo I try keeping. I did a search here on BYC and have seen mixed reviews. I am interested if anyone on the Indiana thread has tried them. Here is a pic of my handsome Roo.

I saw the collars after the fact, but was thinking of trying it the next time

Dittos. If its between a rooster waking everyone up and possibly bringing cops over to ticket me... and the possible complication of strangling a rooster who could become dinner anyway... I'll take quiet. If my boys start crowing in the middle of the night, it's collar, new home or freezer camp.

Btw, your boy was gorgeous! I'm a sucker for crele :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom