INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I don't have a run. But the coop is inside a barn and is about 8 by 12 for only 3 full grown hens. If they get spooked they run for the barn. Hey don't necessarily have to go in the coop they can roam around the barn too.

I'm just looking for a few more laying age hens and a roo for some extra group protection when they free range.

I have 2 Unknown sex unknown breed chicks who are about 6 weeks old and then 6 pulleys who are between a 1 to 3 weeks old. Also 2 ducklings who are about 2 weeks old.

From my understanding, it doesn't sound like the officially released version of the order doesn't affect shipments of birds in and out of state just events that co-mingle poultry.

Matt

Last edited:
If all else fails we have a 1000 sq ft empty pole barn set on dirt that I can throw the hens in. Not predator safe for night but good for daytime. But we have a ten acre farm and lots of hiding places if any Hawks show up. Last night the dogs and I treed a coon but I don't have my 22 anymore (was stolen last year) and didn't want to freak out the neighbors by shooting off the shotgun. Plus probably wouldn't have hit it since it's a short barrel and it was pretty high up the tree. Hopefully the dogs and I scared it enough to leave the area. It was a young one.

Ok, so it sounds like a run would be a good idea. We have step in posts and 4ft poultry wire. Would we be able to make a run with that? Maybe put two sections of poultry wire one on top of the other to make it 8ft tall? How do you make a door with poultry wire? Would a tarp work for the top? Or would we need to buy bird netting? We would prefer to use what we have if possible :).

Ok, so it sounds like a run would be a good idea. We have step in posts and 4ft poultry wire. Would we be able to make a run with that? Maybe put two sections of poultry wire one on top of the other to make it 8ft tall? How do you make a door with poultry wire? Would a tarp work for the top? Or would we need to buy bird netting? We would prefer to use what we have if possible
smile.png

The poultry wire won't even slow down a dog, fox or coyote if that is an issue. I would look at woven wire livestock fencing or cattle or hog panels. Those are super cheap. You could even research the hoop coops to build a similarly designed run out of a couple of cattle panels. That should stop any daytime predator in its tracks, give you a natural place to secure the tarp and be tall enough to walk in. Much sturdier also.

So it looks like there will be no fairs for any of us this year.
sad.png
Just got the letter from our 4-h office. This would have been my DD first year. I think she is still going to do some posters of the birds she was going to show and they said they would keep us updated with other things we might be able to do. I understand that this is for the safety of all our birds, but man I am really going to miss going to all the fairs and looking at all the birds. I went to more fairs last year ( my first year with chickens) than I had been to in the previous 6 or 7 years, looks like I'll be staying home a lot again this year.

On another note, I have lots of baby chicks available,and lots more in the incubator, does this mean I won't be able to sell them.

So it looks like there will be no fairs for any of us this year.
sad.png
Just got the letter from our 4-h office. This would have been my DD first year. I think she is still going to do some posters of the birds she was going to show and they said they would keep us updated with other things we might be able to do. I understand that this is for the safety of all our birds, but man I am really going to miss going to all the fairs and looking at all the birds. I went to more fairs last year ( my first year with chickens) than I had been to in the previous 6 or 7 years, looks like I'll be staying home a lot again this year.

On another note, I have lots of baby chicks available,and lots more in the incubator, does this mean I won't be able to sell them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom