INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Shipped eggs. Ok to use broody or should I turn the incubator back on? Afraid with possible aircell damage the hens will be too rough with them. However I'd rather not fire the incubator back up.

Also, I have plenty of blrw chicks and barnyard mix (brahma roo over mottled orp and legbar. Possibly pure brahma didn't look too hard at them) chicks available!

Shipped eggs. Ok to use broody or should I turn the incubator back on? Afraid with possible aircell damage the hens will be too rough with them. However I'd rather not fire the incubator back up.

Also, I have plenty of blrw chicks and barnyard mix (brahma roo over mottled orp and legbar. Possibly pure brahma didn't look too hard at them) chicks available!
I go with a broody once the bator gets turned off. I have a few months left.. turkey and guinea are still laying. When they aren't broody!

had an incident today with a leghorn hen, really surprising. She actually pushed a muscovy out of the nest, and was broody. Thats not ok.. if she is a good mother i can work with that, not the case!
She pecked a mutt chick that hatched, later died, and terrorized both ducks sitting. She is now in a crate, will remain there for a few weeks to break her. Both ducks returned to their nest of misc mutt chickens and ducks. This hen will likely not stay here. Not ok to kill helpless chicks and steal nests
sad.png
Candled eggs between this mess and my scovies are good mama's several more developing. Not sure that I want to keep Leghorn next year, the hens are just not flock friendly.

I have at least 5 broody hens at the moment and a couple nights ago I pulled every egg and candled. There had to be well over 50 eggs! Some have been having new eggs added etc and the stages of development were all over the place. I tried grouping them and slipping certain ones under specific hens but I noticed quite a few withe detached air cells. Many clears which I only have 4 LF roos with the girls and I've had an unreal amount of predator losses in the past 2 weeks.

2 of my original 3 hens that were 5 yrs were lost. My EE and my SF. Very sad.

My dog killed 2 opossums and bother had babies. The first had 8 pinkies and the 2nd had 5 pretty good sized. He got her about 4 days ago and right around 2pm while we were working in the garden. Surprised me but the birds I've been losing have been during the day and a couple of times I was right outside not 20 feet from the action and I didn't see a thing. There's a mulberry tree in the tree line they're visiting and now I think it was that momma opossum...??!!

Really crazy and has just devestated my flock!

I have at least 5 broody hens at the moment and a couple nights ago I pulled every egg and candled. There had to be well over 50 eggs! Some have been having new eggs added etc and the stages of development were all over the place. I tried grouping them and slipping certain ones under specific hens but I noticed quite a few withe detached air cells. Many clears which I only have 4 LF roos with the girls and I've had an unreal amount of predator losses in the past 2 weeks.

2 of my original 3 hens that were 5 yrs were lost. My EE and my SF. Very sad.

My dog killed 2 opossums and bother had babies. The first had 8 pinkies and the 2nd had 5 pretty good sized. He got her about 4 days ago and right around 2pm while we were working in the garden. Surprised me but the birds I've been losing have been during the day and a couple of times I was right outside not 20 feet from the action and I didn't see a thing. There's a mulberry tree in the tree line they're visiting and now I think it was that momma opossum...??!!

Really crazy and has just devestated my flock!

:( I'm so sorry, that stinks! Predators are SO frustrating! I just got 9 babies from the dozen eggs I got from you if your interested in some back.

Jchny2000 the eggs we hatched last year together to try to grow my flock back hatched some eggs over winter as well and I ended up with an olive egged somehow. I love the eggs but am clueless as to what bird is laying them

If you want to hatch shipped eggs with your broodies, let the eggs sit after arrival an extra day to reattach air cells. Since the hens turn them, once they are under them, the eggs won't have a chance to sit still long enough to stabilize. Just my 2 cents from using broodies on my shipped eggs last fall. I had a pretty decent hatch, but I had two cells that were detached that I should have let sit longer. Broodies will give you a better hatch rate on shipped eggs though, so you can get more out of your purchase.

Quote: I am so sorry. I went through this too, and lost some older hens. Trapped 8 raccoon, 4 possum and a cat so far. The cat was a definite "dump", and I have a friend that took her.. He has horses, and takes in strays, spays them and they live in the barn.

Jchny2000 the eggs we hatched last year together to try to grow my flock back hatched some eggs over winter as well and I ended up with an olive egged somehow. I love the eggs but am clueless as to what bird is laying them
Awesome! I have an OE from that batch too, I think its a charcoal colored hen that lays it. Holler if you want more OE or EE, I am done hatching chickens, but will set some for ya!

Back
Top Bottom