INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Brad, I have 15 more eggs due to hatch in the next 2 weeks. All are viable at this point and under broodies. If you're looking for poults I'll have some soon.

Ok thanks. I guess I'll see how these develop. 2 possibly 3 are acceptable .The other 4 are not. I'm stilltrying tofigure out if 2 are even Turkey eggs or duck eggs lol.

Ok, chicken with the goop in her eye is driving me a little nuts. I separated her from the other chickens and some how she found a way over a 71/2 foot wall. Humm, i guess i have to brake out the dog kennel. Arrr really she has to be a stinker. Not, like i'm stessed enough. Dad started chemo and he's pretty sick. I'm also watching my brothers kid with adhd plus one of my step kids that lives with us has adhd. So, thats a see who can be the meanest. Really i'd say Calgon take me away but, i know the harsh truth at some time i'd have to get out of the tub. Lol for my goop eye chicken i'm going to get some oxytetracycline and give that a try. Plus, do a major cleaning of the coop. Hehe hubby can watch the kiddies while i clean. Never thought cleaning sounded like so much fun.
1f606.png

They are both LF. I may wait a couple of weeks for them to feather in more and look prettier. They're at that "awkward stage," though still cute. The solid chocolate is almost as dark as a black (not quite, especially on her wing feathers, though, which are quite definitely brown). I'm color blind, though, so when in doubt, I'll have DH figure it out for chicks in the future! Right now, my chocolate cuckoo boy reminds me more of my Biele cockerels than an Orp. Similar overall color effect at this particular moment. Biele boys are also barred, though they are called crele (can someone tell me exactly what crele means, anyway?). I think crele has to do with them having more than two colors versus regular cuckoos which are only barred with white and one other color. I could be making that up, though, LOL.

BTW, the run of days without new HPAI cases continues. I'm glad the heat killed it. I doubt the state will change any rules for the fairs, etc., and personally think that is how it should be. Better safe than sorry. We are lucky that the one case we had did not spread. No other state has been that lucky, I think.

@Mother2Hens I'm not 100% sure I understand your question about the screening test the state lab performs free. They only take a dozen eggs (which on a small backyard flock will get all your girls tested). If you have even one egg that shows up AI positive, you are going to hear back from the lab I'm sure. There are two "levels" of AI--one that is around all the time that makes birds sick, but doesn't kill many, and the HPAI which kills with a vengeance. Someone from the state lab would be the best person to let us know. If I remember, I'll ask them your question when I email or call them to find out where the heck my results are!! I suspect positives are rechecked and maybe typed (which H and N groups they possess), but I'm speculating based on what would be rational to me. If I learn more, I'll pass it on to everyone.

Finally got the picture of the eggs uploaded but figured I'd post it again here. Like I said before I really don't know if the two on far left are turkey or duck eggs! Looks like they were out in the rain for a few daysbefore collecting.

They are both LF.  I may wait a couple of weeks for them to feather in more and look prettier.  They're at that "awkward stage," though still cute.  The solid chocolate is almost as dark as a black (not quite, especially on her wing feathers, though, which are quite definitely brown).  I'm color blind, though, so when in doubt, I'll have DH figure it out for chicks in the future!  Right now, my chocolate cuckoo boy reminds me more of my Biele cockerels than an Orp.  Similar overall color effect at this particular moment.  Biele boys are also barred, though they are called crele (can someone tell me exactly what crele means, anyway?).  I think crele has to do with them having more than two colors versus regular cuckoos which are only barred with white and one other color.  I could be making that up, though, LOL.

BTW, the run of days without new HPAI cases continues.  I'm glad the heat killed it.  I doubt the state will change any rules for the fairs, etc., and personally think that is how it should be.  Better safe than sorry.  We are lucky that the one case we had did not spread.  No other state has been that lucky, I think.

@Mother2Hens
 I'm not 100% sure I understand your question about the screening test the state lab performs free.  They only take a dozen eggs (which on a small backyard flock will get all your girls tested).  If you have even one egg that shows up AI positive, you are going to hear back from the lab I'm sure.  There are two "levels" of AI--one that is around all the time that makes birds sick, but doesn't kill many, and the HPAI which kills with a vengeance.  Someone from the state lab would be the best person to let us know.  If I remember, I'll ask them your question when I email or call them to find out where the heck my results are!!  I suspect positives are rechecked and maybe typed (which H and N groups they possess), but I'm speculating based on what would be rational to me.  If I learn more, I'll pass it on to everyone.

It's my understanding that crele is a barred black breasted red.

I need some help my fat face (chicken) has a swollen eye. Looks like she got pecked at by another chicken. Yesterday it was just red above the eye and today it's got a little goop in her eye. She trys to keep it closed but, will open it from time to time. Is there anything i can do for her? Or dose anyone know the number or name of the vet in Valparaiso Indiana that works with farm animals?
Check the eye carefully and make sure that it's not a parasite in it. I lost a great little cockerel last year thinking it was an infection and treating him with antibiotics until a knowledgeable friend looked at it. He showed me how to treat it, but it was too late for that bird. A white polish hen also developed one, but I was able to treat her from the start and eventually got the worm out. Treatment is disgusting. She is blind in that eye but survived and lives happily with her mate. They have given me some chicks this year.

x2 We are under water here, the chickens and the Goats are living on little islands right now. Worried to death. Had to go out last night in the middle of a down poor and rescue the LaManchas they were standing knee deep in water, the baby was up to his belly and none was Happy at all. So now I have all breeds of goats in the barn. Have never had this problem before and dont ever want it again!!! This rain dont stop I am going to have to put everyone in a ark... No joke.
I hear you! Jennings County clay mixed with chicken poop and soured pellets that they've scratched out make a smelly mess. My chickens are wearing their hip boots and some are walking on stilts.
wink.png
I opened the worst pens and let them come out to have some respite from the mess. They have ways to get up out of it, but who wants to sit on a perch or in a doghouse all day? I was worried about the roosters fighting, but they seem to be so happy to be out on the grass that they have called a truce.

Good morning, and a belated Happy Fathers Day!

We have poults this morning! Woke up yesterday to 2 pipped, those same 2 were still pipped last night about 8, but larger holes, and 3 more pipped at that time. This morning at least 1 is hatched, which is all I could see. Egg #2 was the only one not pipped last night. This morning its pipped and cracked, but looks weird. At first I thought the egg went bad, so I took a smell, and its good, but it looks more like a hard boiled egg, does not look right at all. But as I raised it to take a listen, I could hear the poult tapping at the shell, so I put it back. Then mama didn't want me there any more. I will post picks as soon as they are done!

Oh and my broody tom, he was harassed by the other toms, and a huge fight started. I had to lock several up. Each time I let them out, they went back to fighting, and I locked them up for 2 days! In the meantime, we had a community nest for a while. A chicken hen would lay on them, then a turkey hen, back and forth all day. Its like they all want this nest to hatch. Now I have a blrw who is sitting on the nest, and she will not let anyone near her. Hissing and pecking if anyone or thing gets close. I have closed her off to keep her calm and to let the others know to leave them alone. I will candle if I can, but not sure if she will let me. She's the mama who killed a baby poult last year. But in her defense, she wasn't isolated until late in the sitting, first time mama, and my birds picked on her. So I'm not real sure how this is actually going to go. I guess only time will tell.

Elleymay, I'm sorry to hear of your losses. Give that dog of yours a great treat for getting the property clear! Do you have some live traps you could set up to help with the problem?

Deb
Mama let a couple come out to get their pics taken

tooooo precious, congrats on the good mama turkey hen!
I need some help my fat face (chicken) has a swollen eye. Looks like she got pecked at by another chicken. Yesterday it was just red above the eye and today it's got a little goop in her eye. She trys to keep it closed but, will open it from time to time. Is there anything i can do for her? Or dose anyone know the number or name of the vet in Valparaiso Indiana that works with farm animals?
terramyacin eye ointment may help. definitely clean the wound. We have some vets posted on our member page, click on the link in my signature, bottom of the post.

Check the eye carefully and make sure that it's not a parasite in it.  I lost a great little cockerel last year thinking it was an infection and treating him with antibiotics until a knowledgeable friend looked at it.  He showed me how to treat it, but it was too late for that bird.  A white polish hen also developed one, but I was able to treat her from the start and eventually got the worm out.  Treatment is disgusting.  She is blind in that eye but survived and lives happily with her mate.  They have given me some chicks this year.

I hear you!  Jennings County clay mixed with chicken poop and soured pellets that they've scratched out make a smelly mess.  My chickens are wearing their hip boots and some are walking on stilts. ;)   I opened the worst pens and let them come out to have some respite from the mess.  They have ways to get up out of it, but who wants to sit on a perch or in a doghouse all day?  I was worried about the roosters fighting, but they seem to be so happy to be out on the grass that they have called a truce.
the eye its self looks clear. Thou, i saw a bug on the other side of her head. I sprayed her down with the poultry protector thou not to sure how thats going to work. Am i looking for a worm in the eye? There was a bump above the eye not a pock. Just a swollen area. Some times it has white stuff by her tear duct other it's clear. If i can i'll take a pic tomorrow. Right now we are in the tornado watch area. How do you treat it?

7 shades of....DIRT! Here are the last eggs of the year and they are dirty! Such a waste of money! Guess ill wait until next year for turkeys lol.

If you wash right before setting them, they may be ok... but yeah, not looking so good.
Quote: I think it depends on species.
I did 100% incubation on goose eggs this year, and have had -0- hatch. But, one of my chinese hens stashed eggs. -0- hatch on them also! I think my geese are too heavy, and are not able to breed properly. (yep, they are too fat!) Laying seasons over and hoping there are a few goose eggs left under the turkeys..will see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom