INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

For advanced cases of coccidia you need sulfadimethoxine. (Albon) First state vet supply sells it. Corrid won't touch advanced coccid. It's just a vitamin blocker. You need a sulfa drug. Peter Brown runs First State, he is the one who instructed me to use it. Saved my chicks. lso I use colloidal silver for unknown illnesses. Safe, natural antibiotic. Does the trick pretty much every time. However you need a powerhouse drug to kill bad Coccidia. Hope this helps.

For advanced cases of coccidia you need sulfadimethoxine. (Albon)  First state vet supply sells it. Corrid won't touch advanced coccid. It's just a vitamin blocker. You need a sulfa drug. Peter Brown runs First State, he is the one who instructed me to use it. Saved my chicks. lso I use colloidal silver for unknown illnesses. Safe, natural antibiotic. Does the trick pretty much every time. However you need a powerhouse drug to kill bad Coccidia. Hope this helps.
That is what the vet always prescribed for dogs and cats when I worked there. It is also the go to drug for treating reptiles with coccidiosis.

We did not have fun here last night. Hail up to nickel sized. Mowed down almost all of our sunflowers (which I picked and propped up to try to save). AND we lost a 30' tall maple tree. Thank God it hit nothing but grass. It was in the back of our acre lot near nothing but the back tree line and a creek. It didn't appear to even whack the closest trees. The pain will be getting rid of it little by little in our second trash bin! The main trunk will probably just be rolled back to the property line. If I had access to a commercial sized chipper, I'd chop it all up and put it in the chickenyard, @Leahs Mom !!! We can only rent a chipper that goes up to 4" diameter branches, and that will definitely not work for much of the tree.

DH's car was not in the garage, but since it's a 2001 Toyota, it actually and surprisingly was undamaged by the hail. I know it has thicker sheet metal than my 2010 Toyota does. We gotta get the chicks out of the garage sooner rather than later...

Our aggressive roo was culled today and is chillin' in brine to be eaten in a few days. He was a turd and got me yesterday after a break of many months, so that moved up his expiration date. I also started to cull my cockerel chicks, which I just detest doing. I have an ad on Craigslist and have mentioned them here, and still have the younger ones. Prices are down to $6 for a lav and $3 for a black/lav split Orp cockerel.

If anyone who has done business with me in the past wants a black split or lavender cockerel FREE, PM me.

I may also have just a few remaining Orp pullets available for sale, one half-English black/lav split, and a couple of 100% English black (possibly split) pullets. I love the way the full English black pullets look and may just keep them. They are really beautiful for their age. I also have an English blue pullet that is funny looking right now, but she's the youngest by a full week and in that half down, half feathered stage, while the others have their full wing feathers at least. I'm keeping the blue pullet for now. They are all Cogburn's kids with my three English blue hens. If anyone is interested, just PM me.

Our oldest Australorps are 5-1/2 and we already identified one that is not laying, and we suspect most have quit. One stays forever, Lillian, named after my late MIL. She was our "roo substitute" before we got into English Orps and just had a mixed hatchery flock of layers. We just love her and she stays until she dies a natural death. The rest are going to be tested individually to see if they are laying before they start molting. I think the old hens that look the best (untouched by roos, fat and glossy) are mostly non-laying, though they may just be bossy or clever enough to avoid the Jubilee roos who live with them. Those boys are slow, but they tag team and a hen is literally screwed if both boys are nearby and they can't outrun or outfly them.

I hope anyone near the even worse storms last night is OK! I hate hailstorms with a passion.

I woke up last night to check on him and he was gone
1f62a.png

OT but does anyone know who buys black walnut trees in northern Indiana? We have several we need to get rid of before fencing the horse pasture in the back of our property. Thanks!
Steve Hite here in Goshen buys trees. We got to know him a few years ago as he was one of the 4-H Bee Club leaders -- very nice fellow. Hope this contact info is still current (got it online):

Hite Timber Buyer & Consultant

15783 County Road 40
Goshen, IN 46528 - View Map
Phone: (574) 642-4510

Also...quick question/thoughts on a beneficial tool we could use for Indiana BYCers...sort of like a support hotline, or even just to chat, I belong to another forum and we use this FREE smartphone app called Zello, you can use it on computers too. Anyone ever hear of it? It is really cool, it is like a walkie talkie app...so it is like a forum, only you can talk faster than type. Let me know if anyone would be interested in trying it out. I would be happy to set it up and let the ones that are interested how to get it, set it up, etc.

"That gnat took a notch out of your cornea," the doctor told me.

This past weekend on Saturday afternoon, I was in the side yard with my Jubilee Orp, Adeline. She's been the only chicken brave enough to come out for a break. They've all been hiding underneath the deck because of aggressive gnats that have been out in force the past week. I've been spraying DEET all over me except for my face where I've used natural oil repellent, which I've also used on Adeline. Suddenly my right eye took a direct hit from a gnat! I washed my eye out, but it's been all downhill from there. I went to the doc today where my eyes were put through more torture. My right cornea is damaged, but will heal. Both eyes have abrasions from rubbing them while I've slept, which also spread the infection from the dirty insect into my left eye! I'll be fine after using two meds for a week.
cool.png
I guess I'll have to wear a bee keeper's suit to protect myself.
roll.png
Oh, no. I'm so sorry you are going through that!

Back
Top Bottom