INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I've actually added one to the bottom so there's technically two but still

I'm not sure how your chickens have been using the ramp, but mine would be walking part way up and flying out of the tractor.
I vote that this is an OK cheap spring - fall breeding tractor. But any heavy rains or snows could just demolish the little house part and maybe the ramp.
Since your first winter is coming up soon, here is some advice you might be able to use.
Moving a tractor in winter is hard work. We pick a place, put down some wood chips and that becomes the winter chicken area. Next plan on having an enclosed space for your chickens to spend 3-8 days at at time in plus their outside run. So a tractor that has only a small sleeping quarters is not great for winter. We move our small summer coops into our pole barn for winter, otherwise we would need to plywood all 4 sides for winter and remove all 4 sides for summer. Next water freezes ever so fast you may want to pick a spot near electricity so you can have a heated dog bowl for winter water.

Hello!

Can someone put me in touch with someone that has Call Ducks? I need a month old female. My baby was born alone and she needs a buddy. I'm in Northwest Indiana (Hebron).

Thank you in advance!

I'm not sure how your chickens have been using the ramp, but mine would be walking part way up and flying out of the tractor. 

I vote that this is an OK cheap spring - fall breeding tractor.  But any heavy rains or snows could just demolish the little house part and maybe the ramp. 

Since your first winter is coming up soon, here is some advice you might be able to use.

Moving a tractor in winter is hard work.  We pick a place, put down some wood chips and that becomes the winter chicken area.  Next plan on having an enclosed space for your chickens to spend 3-8 days at at time in plus their outside run.  So a tractor that has only a small sleeping quarters is not great for winter.  We move our small summer coops into our pole barn for winter, otherwise we would need to plywood all 4 sides for winter and remove all 4 sides for summer.    Next water freezes ever so fast you may want to pick a spot near electricity so you can have a heated dog bowl for winter water.

Ok I'm not going to quote everyone just you lol sorry... But as I mentioned before I Had not thought to use it in winter it was merly a summer thing (not even spring) as for the comment about walking up the ramp and flying out. the entire thing is enclosed even though you can't see it, it's there. it's a netting style so it's hard to take pictures from a distance... I have a 10 by 30 coop that sits to the right of this picture also a 10 by 5 siting to the right of this lol I only seperated so I could know which eggs were pure rir and which were buff.. But they are soon going to go back in the main coop. i basically designed this off of a tractor coop I seen at rural king and figured the tote would give a little more room now only two sleep in each.. (There are two totes now). Remember also I said the tote idea came from a large breed nesting box not a coop even though it seems small the house part is actually 4 feet by 4 feet and the tote is about 3 by 4 in total the house pulse tote is something like 5-6 by 4 and the run is about 8 feet... And they are let out about everyday... I never once mentioned I would use it in the snow/winter only that totes could be used as a small coop/extension or a nest box..

Last edited:
Besides I thought all tractors were ment for warm weather use only... Are there some for winter too? If so pleats post pictures... On another not has no one thought about heating pads? Battery operated or electrical

Besides I thought all tractors were ment for warm weather use only... Are there some for winter too? If so pleats post pictures... On another not has no one thought about heating pads? Battery operated or electrical

I have, but the only ones I could find that they sell now auto shut off after 2 hours. and they don't put off heat only if they are on it and if you turn on your pad and put you hand on it and leave it for a while it will get hot. I thought about putting bedding on top of it but then worry about fire. I also worry about a nosy chicken pecking it and causing a short and then fire, of shocking itself to death with the constant pecking. I have found a foot warmer pad, or shoe warmer on amazon that is water proof and can be covered with anything, it only reaches a set temp then shuts off and then back on when that temp falls. I will be using it this year with my silkies for the first time. I have 3 tractor type coops that I fortify for winter every year, then take down come summer. really you can fortify anything if you put your mind to it and have the time and or money. We do things on what I call a " Poor peoples budget " around here... lol I have used cardboard for emergency blocking drafts, holes and insulation. it works but not for long term. Now this is just my own OP and experiences.

I have, but the only ones I could find that they sell now auto shut off after 2 hours. and they don't put off heat only if they are on it and if you turn on your pad and put you hand on it and leave it for a while it will get hot. I thought about putting bedding on top of it but then worry about fire. I also worry about a nosy chicken pecking it and causing a short and then fire, of shocking itself to death with the constant pecking. I have found a foot warmer pad, or shoe warmer on amazon that is water proof and can be covered with anything, it only reaches a set temp then shuts off and then back on when that temp falls. I will be using it this year with my silkies for the first time.  I have 3 tractor type coops that I fortify for winter every year, then take down come summer. really you can fortify anything if you put your mind to it and have the time and or money.  We do things on what I call a " Poor peoples budget " around here... lol I have used cardboard for emergency blocking drafts,  holes and insulation. it works but not for long term.  Now this is just my own OP and experiences. 

It's nice to have a positive feedback instead of just falsely guided criticism. Although being that most of you guys compared to me would be chicken pros it would probably be best to welcome all ideas with an open mind until proven wrong.. At least give input to ideas.. Ways to improve like maybe a slant roof to the top so snow doesn't build up.. Or a tarp over the entire thing to trap heat or adding stilts to the bottom of the tote so it doesn't collapse I think I'm still putting them back in the main coop but these are just examples of ways to tell someone they are wrong without hurting their nooby feelings

There is one kind of heating pad that is supposed to stay on all the time - and be completely washable so it should do okay for animal bedding. Some folks have made brooding "caves" with them for brooding chicks under rather than using a light. Lots of people are doing it; I'm a little nervous of fire myself with something that's not made to be outdoors.

The heating pads are a Sunbeam and have a control that allows you to have it run continually. I'm not sure which specific model, but it is not just the cover that's washable but the whole heat pad from what I've heard.

I hadn't really thought about using it in the winter it's more of a summer thing but I was told if you add a heat pad you needent worry about snow... It'll melt but I check often anyways so I could just clear it.. The idea came from a breeder who couldn't find anything for her 20 pound jersey giants to use as nest boxes so she used a tote with a hole and it worked perfectly not sure what she does in winter I believe she was in Texas so not much snow... Up here I believe it might get to cold even with a heat pad idk yet first winter here with chickens

Heating pad for chicks
http://www.bigr.com/farm-and-livest...et-products-thermo-peep-heated-pad-9-x-12.htm

Back
Top Bottom