INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Seems a few of the girls have picked up laying again. Some nice dark ones..but I'm not setting anymore this year. Well not right now anyway! ! I'm not!

I have 3 batches of chicks growing out still inside. 2 are in the garage and a small batch of 5 in the living room. 2 frizzled (1 cochin & 1 olive egger)
1 smooth cochin and 2 silkies. I still have a broody on 4 silkie eggs that aren't due for another week at least!

Can I buy some Marans and OE from you?

Last edited:
I do. I have three blue hens, my blue rooster was killed by another rooster last November. I personally can't stand them. They are super flighty and constantly broody. They are so bad that they refuse to lay in the nest boxes since I take those eggs daily. Instead I have to go on a daily egg hunt to figure out where they are laying. Even if they are locked in the coop/run. Their latest favorite place to lay is under the roosts in all of the poop, I'm sure because I won't dig around in the poop every day so they think they are getting away with nest building. :he They are pretty birds and their eggs are gorgeous, but mine are on the list to be processed at the end of October. They are also super inbred so their health is horrible (many in the US have had that issue). I will say, I crossed the Isbars to my Bielie rooster and the offspring are stunning. One of them looks like a blue copper marans. I am hoping they will be green egg layers and have the better personality and health from the Bielie roo.
I'll buy them from you!!

How old (what size) were the silkies that disappeared?

This time of year, if you have any tomatoes left, the squirrels will leave them half eaten, sometimes even still on the vine.

Any chance the turkey laid the egg outside the nest and it broke under normal circumstances, and then the birds ate it like they do?

I can't remember your setup, to rule anything out, so the first step of finding the root cause is to consider what's most likely.
All the eggs were in the nest when I went to bed. One was taken ~15ft away are specifically cracked in half and licked out. Found both pieces a few inches apart. Shell was uneaten. When my birds go for eggs, they're really after the shell, so the goo leaks everywhere and the shell is found in teeny tiny bits.

Silkies ranged from about 2-4 months, maybe more. Two were bigger than my 6-month-old white Silkie hen. Neither of the white silkies have disappeared, but all of the buff and blue ones did (even though they blended in really well).

Tomato in question was quite large and about a 1/4 eaten. Teeth left long, sharp, deep gashes in the flesh. Found ~20ft from broken egg.

[COLOR=333333]pic below: What do you guys think? Does it look like a male head-spot? (I believe CCL hen x Orp roo combo makes a sex-link, so only a male offspring could get the barring from the mother.)[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
I believe, as long as the father was not cuckoo or barred, you are correct. So yes, that would be a male. :) Congrats on the chicks!
LOL! Mine are moulting too. Its the *gasp* feathers everywhere feeling until you see the hens, ugh. Makes you think you had an attack! LOs molted early and the rest are doing it now.
Yes, for sure! When my white Easter-eggers were molting a few weeks ago, they were leaving trails of feathers all over. I was so sure that was from a predator grabbing one of them, and then I found them in a sad state in the coop... :lol:
I do. I have three blue hens, my blue rooster was killed by another rooster last November. I personally can't stand them. They are super flighty and constantly broody.
Oh, no, not these, too! :/
Brahmas and EEs sometimes give pink eggs too. I get a few/week from mine :ya This list will change every few minutes from now until the end of time: 1. laughing chickens 2. Ayam Cemani 3. Long Crower 4. Phoenix 5. partridge and/or laced Brahmas 6. blue-laced red Wyandottes 7. Cochins 8. lavender or isabel Orpingtons 9. Dorkings 10. Scot's Dumpy Honorable mention: Malay
:highfive: Yay, Dorkings! :D And yeah, I think I'm ready to change my list already, too... :lol:

It could be a fox make a muddy spot around the coop and see if you fin paw prints later if the paw prints are small it's a fox if there big it's a coyote or wolf. Hope this could help!

Hey all. :) We are dealing with fowl pox here. Stupid mosquitos! Well at least when its over they won't ever have it again. I just hope it runs it's course soon so I can get the coop sterilized before it gets super cold. I have vaccines on their way for the non symptomatic birds. Hope it gets here soon! Side note, I will be breeding silkies again soon. Not sure about this fall due to them not laying with molting and now pox, but as soon as everyone is healthy and laying, I will begin to ship eggs again. I'll be breeding for grey, bbs, paint, black , blue cream , and white. Side note, if anyone is interested, or if I missed anyone who was last year, we have several skeins of alpaca yarn and also raw fiber available for spinning in anyone is interested.
I got a few pics of some of my spring hatchlings. Now a little over 5 months old. These kids are going into my breeding program.

blue pullet

gray pullet

splash cockerel

splash pullet

My blue Cream roo.

youngest blue cream pullet

Back
Top Bottom