INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Originally Posted by bantam chicks Welcome to the Indiana Thread! Here's the link for more info about our great group: Indiana BYC'ers Members, Events, & Links
@ChickCrazed ~ Thanks for posting photos of your Breda breed! They are very cool looking.

@Hholly Congrats on your Silkies—they are too sweet!

@ellymayRans ~ Those quail figurines remind me of my mid-century modern childhood.
smile.png

On another topic—lol—where did you order your mealworms from?

Besides work, I've been immersing myself in caring for Lacy so that I don't dwell on losing Screech. I mentioned the other day that I had dug up some dirt from across the street where she had been dust bathing during our lovely spring weather… I put plastic sheeting down in the (real) bathtub and then put down the plastic box with dirt. Keeps the dirt much more contained that setting it up on an open floor like I have done in the past.

I finished setting up her second area, which is in my office next to where I work.

After I cleaned up that area and put Lacy in the other kennel for the night, I found that Lionel had taken over the cage just as Tiger had the night before. Goofy cats!

On the CX note. I raised 5 dif batches Last year. The first was bought at RK, then I placed orders for the rest of the batches from RK with no issues with any of the chicks. I raised them in a frame tractors that got moved daily (when bigger x2 moves a day). They turned out awesome. I can't wait till the weather warms enough to start more CX. I think on avg we weighed them out at 15 cockerels and 10 pounds for pullets. Best chicken I've ever had.

One of my home grown olive egger pullets has finally started to lay!!!! She is a Bielefelder/Isbar cross and I have been waiting so long to see what color the eggs would be!!! Olive egger egg on the bottom, cream Breda pullet egg, massive blue easter egger egg and some Bielie and Barred rock eggs.

I was at the RK in Fort Wayne yesterday and they had no chicks, Tanks are out and ready, but no birds in them, may have them today though.

I needed font and feed bases for the chicks I have coming from M&M and they were way cheaper at RK than the TSC in Columbia City, just FYI for anyone in there area. Also, RK has their layer pellets and crumbles on sales for 10.99 for a 50 lb bag until the 20th.

I would like to do a batch of meat birds, just a few as a trial, but until I get coop 2.0 done, and my existed birds transferred to the big coop, and the coming chicks up and laying, I think DW would shoot me. Nevermind the currently unemployed part of the equation...lol

@slutter Muscovy are 90% sexable very shortly after hatch. Males wind up 3X the size of females, and the size difference is quite apparent shortly after hatch. Worst case, wait a couple weeks, and you'll know. I received seven Muscovies from her this summer, and they were all sexed accurately within a week or so. It's much faster than with Pekins and other mallard-derived breeds, which you pretty much have to wait for their big kid voices to come in for (around 8 weeks, which is still better than most chickens).
Thanks for the info! you have not found them to be bill color sexable? I have heard nothing but good about them and theyre beautiful, I am excited to try them!

@mother2hens I ordered 5,000 mealworms from the Rainbow Mealworms advertised here on BYC. $29 shipped and they arrived in just a few days.
There is a great range of ages and arrived with 1 beetle, Ordered 1/31 (Sunday) picked up by 2/3 (Wednesday), as of Monday I've gathered 11 pupae so the cycle has begun and I am really excited about the new venture.

I have been sifting out the dead and feeding to my indoor (garage) bantams. I won't be using them for feeding until I've got a good solid "farm" going which from what I've researched will be 8 mos approx. timing wise will be perfect..they will then be penned and the colder months upon us once again.

I have a lot more mouths to feed than you though.
1f609.png

@mother2hens I ordered 5,000 mealworms from the Rainbow Mealworms advertised here on BYC. $29 shipped and they arrived in just a few days.
There is a great range of ages and arrived with 1 beetle, Ordered 1/31 (Sunday) picked up by 2/3 (Wednesday), as of Monday I've gathered 11 pupae so the cycle has begun and I am really excited about the new venture.

I have been sifting out the dead and feeding to my indoor (garage) bantams. I won't be using them for feeding until I've got a good solid "farm" going which from what I've researched will be 8 mos approx. timing wise will be perfect..they will then be penned and the colder months upon us once again.

I have a lot more mouths to feed than you though.
1f609.png
Living vicariously through you & your mealworm farming adventures.
It's funny how so many of these things my non-chicken friends just don't understand.

One of my home grown olive egger pullets has finally started to lay!!!! She is a Bielefelder/Isbar cross and I have been waiting so long to see what color the eggs would be!!! Olive egger egg on the bottom, cream Breda pullet egg, massive blue easter egger egg and some Bielie and Barred rock eggs.

Hmmm... I've been getting a few huge cream colored eggs lately, and I'm kinda wondering if they're from the Breda. I haven't seen her take over a nest yet, but I always find them on the suitcases in the garage and have no clue who all is laying back there. Of course, I have no idea how old this girl is, and the mystery cream eggs did start out small. Maybe. I wouldn't think a "brown" layer would lay eggs that pale (yet they're not really "white" either).

Just a "Hi All" from a newbie in Indy as well. Fortville specifically. Looking forward to reading about your successes and learning how to better raise my flock from your collective knowledge.
frow.gif
Welcome to our place and of course BYC. #1 tip: BEWARE OF CHICKEN MATH, it gets us all and there is no cure... lol
hide.gif

@chick rookie and @jchny2000
We have a "farm vet" in our area that charges $35 per farm visit. What kind of house-call charges do you have in your areas? I'm pretty happy with $35!!!!!!
Our farm call is 30.00 and if it is an emergency or after hours, it's 45.00. Well worth it too us.

My gremlins are free hehe. You'll never guess what the boys and Ash were really up to with their whispering yesterday :). But yeah we definitely need more space hehe.

Mine and Leah Freeman's seed order came in from Annie's Heirloom Seeds on Saturday! Our husbands thought we were nuts with all the butt wiggling we did over them hehe. We have a chick order coming from Welp this week, more butt wiggling will happen when they get here hehe.

Speaking of husbands, mine is a total enabler. Seriously. We went to a livestock auction near us on Friday night. I specifically told him I was only going to check it out and see what I needed to do to sell my excess roos there, although I may bid on some hay if it looked good. So we got there and walked into the poultry and small livestock room. He turns around and says he's going to get a bidding number. Ugh. Every baby pig that came up, he asked if I wanted it. Every set of birds. Bottle baby goats lol. There was one red new Zealand doe rabbit that he knew I had my eye on, so when she came up, he stood in front of the stage and got in a bidding war with another man to get her lol. Keep in mind he has told me no on pigs and goats since I sold my pigs last fall (not that I really listen but you know...lol). I did say no to any birds because I was afraid to bring them around mine, plus didn't know the age or anything. But I have a beautiful new rabbit for breeding stock, if I cangt her to accept any of the bucks lol.

Also yesterday, my Barred Rock roo got over the gate in the coop that separated he and his girls from my Buff roo and his girls. My Buff is a few months older and has always been the dominant, but the Barred is bigger now. Poor Buff got his butt handed to him :(. He's not seriously hurt but there was blood. The Barredhad him pinned to the floor up against the coop door. When I slid the door back it took a minute to realize what I was seeing then had my hands full shoving the Barred back so the Buff escaped. Into the back yard. In a housing addition where one neighbor has already hauled my cat off. Grrr. Took us forever to catch the poor boy, he was so shook up. I made the gate taller last night but this morning when I started opening runs, that Barred also tried charging me. He may be destined for the soup pot soon. Ugh.

Yes, I know they are free - they keep trying to come to my house lol. And I would love to know about those whispers lmao. They had me concerned cuz I've met your children lmao. And omg yes! I seriously can't wait for those chicks! And btw, your hubby wasnt always an enabler but we've converted him and mine (who was supporting but nervous) is all on board too now lmao! Even agreed to have indoor and outdoor animal set ups when we get a new place lol. Hehehe.

Back
Top Bottom