INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Ok so recently I have had a major issue I was buying some ayam cemani and svart hona chicks from a breeder in Florida so I sold some of them to another person then the breeder said she had major issues and couldn't fill the order so the customer told PayPal and they put a hold on the payment I found some one in Indiana that said he could help named Ernie stroud live near Indy.. I sent money through cvs and he said there was an issue last night and would have to go to a different one today.. And I called today to check to see if he got it and his phone is turned off not as in no service but as in he shut it off.. Now I'm freaking out has anyone heard of this person?

Loved all 3 pics, but this one is priceless!

LOL yes, it is our favorite too. This one is VERY curious but also very shy. When we got her the people were novice chicken people and just threw them in with their larger birds with no integration what so ever so she was missing lots of feathers from being pecked and chased constantly and was a nervous wreck. She looks MUCH better now than when we got her but she is still very hard to catch and round up, she is starting to come around tho.

Horrible news.

The "hawk" is actually a human child who has been jumping our fence and beating our birds with large sticks when we're away. Apparently, he's been beating on Major Tom, too, which explains part of why he's been so out of sorts. Neighbors spotted the child earlier this week but hadn't known he's been killing the birds. I had wondered yesterday why all of the babies were under cover, unlike earlier in the week when all of them were smaller and in the open. A larger duck had also been killed, and it probably weighed more than the hawks around here. I've seen Coopers and sharp-shinned hawks in the area, but I'd never heard of them killing so many birds in such a short time without eating any of them, though.

I have so much work to do, but I can't focus on anything. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

I just wasted all day working on a hawk-proof run for the babies.

Last edited:
Horrible news.

The "hawk" is actually a human child who has been jumping our fence and beating our birds with large sticks when we're away. Apparently, he's been beating on Major Tom, too, which explains part of why he's been so out of sorts. Neighbors spotted the child earlier this week but hadn't known he's been killing the birds. I had wondered yesterday why all of the babies were under cover, unlike earlier in the week when all of them were smaller and in the open. A larger duck had also been killed, and it probably weighed more than the hawks around here. I've seen Coopers and sharp-shinned hawks in the area, but I'd never heard of them killing so many birds in such a short time without eating any of them, though. 

I have so much work to do, but I can't focus on anything. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. 

Oh my God! Who's child??? That kid needs supervision and counseling/treatment. So sorry you have to deal with that.

Horrible news.

OMG! I'm in shock that your problem exists! Is there a way you could try to catch him on film? It may help the police identify the child as well as hold the family responsible. A troubled kid like that needs help ASAP.

I've seen kids do a lot of crazy stuff but never torture animals to death. I worked in middle school & even had one of my students get suspended for bringing a gun to school. (It was a paint gun that he thought would impress some of the other boys.) Another one of my boys decided to "borrow" his grandma's car & was driving around the block showing off to his friends. Those are the stupid things kids do. They could end up causing serious harm, so serious talk & consequences must occur. However, the intention was never to cause harm. Kids just don't have the foresight to think things through. Often the parents worked long hours, so these kids were dropped off about 60 min before school. Teacher supervision duties started 20min before school when the buses began to arrive. Therefore, these particular boys had an extra 40 min to wander around the school & possibly cause trouble. I began "inviting" them into my lab to help care for the critters. Most days it was hard to tell if I was monitoring before school detentions or simply having "my boys" help wash the glassware. The kids were far from "A" students, but that little extra adult attention made a huge difference. They were at least respectful in my classes.

Your situation is far different. Not thinking or a little rebellion is common; destruction of property &/or theft is more serious; Killing...... WOW! Way beyond my pay grade!

OMG! I'm in shock that your problem exists! Is there a way you could try to catch him on film? It may help the police identify the child as well as hold the family responsible. A troubled kid like that needs help ASAP.

I've seen kids do a lot of crazy stuff but never torture animals to death. I worked in middle school & even had one of my students get suspended for bringing a gun to school. (It was a paint gun that he thought would impress some of the other boys.) Another one of my boys decided to "borrow" his grandma's car & was driving around the block showing off to his friends. Those are the stupid things kids do. They could end up causing serious harm, so serious talk & consequences must occur. However, the intention was never to cause harm. Kids just don't have the foresight to think things through. Often the parents worked long hours, so these kids were dropped off about 60 min before school. Teacher supervision duties started 20min before school when the buses began to arrive. Therefore, these particular boys had an extra 40 min to wander around the school & possibly cause trouble. I began "inviting" them into my lab to help care for the critters. Most days it was hard to tell if I was monitoring before school detentions or simply having "my boys" help wash the glassware. The kids were far from "A" students, but that little extra adult attention made a huge difference. They were at least respectful in my classes.

Your situation is far different. Not thinking or a little rebellion is common; destruction of property &/or theft is more serious; Killing...... WOW! Way beyond my pay grade!
According to the neighbors who spotted him and chased him off, he's likely neglected and allowed way too much unsupervised time. From the sounds of it, he's disturbingly young, alone a lot, has no friends, doesn't have a dad, and spends all of his time riding around on his bike... and murdering my baby birds in broad daylight. I'm not sure how old this kid is, only that he can jump a fence, ride a bike and murder several baby birds and beat a miniature turkey tom in quick succession.

Killing animals like this is actually a warning sign of a future serial killer. It does stand to reason that if you lack compassion for a terrified, fuzzy duckling and even enjoy torturing them, you could probably kill a person pretty easily.

Hey everyone I'm new to BYC and wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Sarah from Elizabeth Indiana. I have a variety of hens that I enjoy very much. My favorite hens are my americaunas. I would like to add some cuckoo marans but haven't had much luck ordering any.

Hey everyone I'm new to BYC and wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Sarah from Elizabeth Indiana. I have a variety of hens that I enjoy very much. My favorite hens are my americaunas. I would like to add some cuckoo marans but haven't had much luck ordering any.
Welcome to the thread Sarah!
frow.gif
We're glad you joined us. There may be someone on here who can help you find those Marans.

@chicks5500
frow.gif
Good to have you! Just jump right in...

Some photos of your birds would be great!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom