INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

We have dealt with this same issue for almost 15 years. My husband and I are from two different states. I was raised here, family is here. We have moved back and forth between the two states more times than I'd like to mention. We've also lived other places. No matter where we lived, my wonderful husband has always moved us back here when the homesick was too much. The last time we came back, it stuck. We finally decided to grow roots, mainly for our kids. We've ever been happier. I'm so glad we did!

I can't really offer advice, because everyone is different. But I do understand the feeling and the situation. I hope you guys can figure out the best solution. :hugs

Ironically everyone I talk to ask why did I leave paradise for Indiana lol it's just ugh lol

Weekly Chicken Event Post!

We have many of the 2016 swap meet and auction dates available on the Indiana BYC'ers Events Calendar! Check for the locations on the Indiana BYC'ers Map! I also have each event linked to it's website/Facebook page for additional show details. If you have additional shows or dates/info for Indiana Poultry Breeders Association Show or White River Poultry Club Show, please message me.

Friday, May 6 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, May 7 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
Sunday, May 8 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
Sunday, May 8 - Golden Horseshoe Saddle Club/Knox Swap Meet

If you do go, try wearing your official Indiana BYC T-shirt and see if you spot anyone else there! Also, please take pictures to share!

Upcoming Events:

Friday, May 13 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Friday, May 13 - Veedersburg Barn Sale in Veedersburg, Indiana
Saturday, May 14 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
Sunday, May 15 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
---
Friday, May 20 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, May 21 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
Sunday, May 21 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
---
Friday, May 27 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Friday, May 27 - Veedersburg Barn Sale in Veedersburg, Indiana
Saturday, May 28 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
Sunday, May 29 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN

**This information does not guarantee the event will happen. Please check the auction or swap meet website/Facebook page to confirm dates/times before you travel!

I almost forgot to post my pic lol. Here is our coop in progress. Not a very good pic. When I thought of it, I ran in the house and grabbed the iPad and then ran back around the hill to snap a quick pic. Of course my toddler is much faster than me, and found a big puddle.
tongue.png
I will get inside pics this weekend. So anyway, yesterday the walls got insulated, today interior walls and hopefully roosts. Tomorrow we will put the rest of the boards around the top, trim boards (in white), and the weather flaps up top...and another coat of paint. They will be pull cord, just like the pop door. Oh and the big people door is ready to go on also. So much to do still. I know there is plenty more...

Much of the outside walls are mismatched. We had a lot of stuff given to us for a side job DH did. This is our first time building anything lol. So, budgeting for things we didn't know how to plan for was interesting. It got expensive fast.
hmm.png
Someone better lay a golden egg this fall!
tongue.png
It's funny looking back already at what we would do differently. It's been fun and also a huge learning experience for the whole family.
highfive.gif
Love the barn red color! I think its looking awesome, like your ample ventilation overhead too.

Thanks, @pipdzipdnreadytogo and everyone else who has expressed condolences. It's been a really rough couple weeks for us, but I've got a few days break between semesters now that my finals are done. Calculus final results should be posted today, and I should know soon if I'll have to retake the exam. I don't think I bombed it, and considering it's my last math class, I should eek by with at least a C (looks more like a B anyway). @daskhan Hope you are yours gets everything figured out. I understand being homesick; my husband was military, and our little family had to move all over the States to places where we had no family. Call your family and keep in touch on social media. Pull back and concentrate on a handful (at most) of breeds because it's better to fantastic at one thing that crappy at fifty. Pens go slowly when there are only a couple people (at most) working on them at a time (I know! I've been there, and so has pretty much everyone else on the forum!). Spend time with your family--you can't get those moments back later. Chickens--as awesome as they are--are far less important than your wife and daughter. I picked up three more BBW poults at the RK in Shelbyville, but I'm not sure if Major Tom's going to make it long enough for them to be outside. He's sounding terrible. Not sure what's going on. His sinuses are bad, but I've definitely seen much worse in the last year. His chest, however, sounds terrible, and he always acts like he's going to throw up when I pick him up to take him inside at night (silly boy insists on roosting outside no matter how wet and cold the weather is).
Phew, I finished my finals yesterday, too! What a relief! I found out today that I must be the best guesser on the planet, because I only knew maybe 15 answers of the 70 questions on one of my finals and had to guess the rest (long story short, the jerky professor told us 'exactly' what to study and then hardly put any of what he discussed on the test :barnie ). I somehow got 51 out of 70 correct just by guessing! Hope your grades come back good, too! :) Hope your turkey feels better and gets to see his new buddies. :hugs Poor guy. Keeping my thoughts with you in regards to your other post. Just wow.
Miss Broodiepants:
Looks familiar! :rolleyes: I have a Sebright, a Legbar, and maybe an Easter-egger all working their way up to doing the same by the sounds of all their grumbling!
I almost forgot to post my pic lol. Here is our coop in progress. Not a very good pic. When I thought of it, I ran in the house and grabbed the iPad and then ran back around the hill to snap a quick pic. Of course my toddler is much faster than me, and found a big puddle. :p I will get inside pics this weekend. So anyway, yesterday the walls got insulated, today interior walls and hopefully roosts. Tomorrow we will put the rest of the boards around the top, trim boards (in white), and the weather flaps up top...and another coat of paint. They will be pull cord, just like the pop door. Oh and the big people door is ready to go on also. So much to do still. I know there is plenty more...
Much of the outside walls are mismatched. We had a lot of stuff given to us for a side job DH did. This is our first time building anything lol. So, budgeting for things we didn't know how to plan for was interesting. It got expensive fast. :/ Someone better lay a golden egg this fall! :p It's funny looking back already at what we would do differently. It's been fun and also a huge learning experience for the whole family. :highfive:
I love it!! Super nice! :thumbsup Can't wait to see the finished product!
Update on the 3 newly hatched Araucana chicks. They're 6 days old today.:love The second one is the only one that is tufted. They're all cute, though!
Oh my goodness, this face! :love So cute!!

My turn to share fuzzies! :D They're a bit bigger, though. 8 weeks old!

Benjamin:

Winter:

Indigo:

Marka:

The boys Benji and Winty are buddies. I hope they stay that way as they grow up!

They're working on their innocent looks, the set of squirts! :rolleyes:

Benjamin again, because he's a charmer. :love

Here's the girls, Indigo and Marka, giving me looks.

Indigo takes after her Mama with this look. :rolleyes:

Marka is so calm and fluffy. :love

Just caught my leghorns! Oh my goodness you would thought I was killing them! I have never heard a scream like the rooster has, ear piercing! I grabbed one hen off a nestbox earlier today, and got the hen and rooster tonight off the roost in the falling down coop. Aside from 2 backup roosters and 2 guinea cocks, everyone is confined.
Now I just have to work on a geese and mallard pen so its predator safe. My mallards hang tight with my geese and have been safe so far.

Looks familiar!
roll.png
I have a Sebright, a Legbar, and maybe an Easter-egger all working their way up to doing the same by the sounds of all their grumbling!
Everything I read said Sebrights rarely go broody. Guess my little Sebright, like yours, can't read.

Each day I would laugh as I removed a HUGE 2.8 - 3.0 oz egg out from under her. (I have mostly big birds & of course our roo can't possibly mate with tiny Trouble.) After a week of stealing her eggs & kicking her out of the nest, she began sitting on imaginary eggs. That's when I finally broke down & made her a broody apartment. I gave her 2 of the smallest eggs I could find & she's been happily sitting on them for a week now.

Back
Top Bottom