INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted on the Indiana thread. But I wanted to offer, if anyone is interested, a couple of redcap chicks I would be willing to give someone for free. I ordered 13 from Murray McMurray and these two are the smallest, like runts. They are the first ones I am going to cull from my flock, since I don't want to breed from them. They had worse pasty butt than any of the others, and they just are not growing like the others either. But they seem fine, like they will live and be decent, if small, chickens. I just wouldn't feel right selling them for money.

Redcaps are a rare, endangered breed. I think if they were more to most people's liking, more people would keep them around. So if anybody would like to give these two little ones a chance, it would be an opportunity to have a couple of rare and unusual chickens. They are two weeks old, by the way, and unsexed. I still have them with a MHP, but in this heat, they rarely go under it. I am in Noblesville. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Got a little more done on the coop. For the summer, we are going to keep 2 sides of the top open for ventilation. We are keeping open the east and south sides since our wind and rain come from the north and the west. Made them predator proof and used wood I had laying around and left over chicken wire from my chicken tractor.

Hi @hbrown322
  !

What kind of coop do you have?  Is it small enough that it could blow over in a storm or is it larger?

If I had a really little coop, I'd try to situate it to the side of a building or wind-break somewhere on your property so that it doesn't get the full brunt of the wind.

I have to admit that every time we get those storm winds I'm always nervous for my shed coop.  And it is a full 8x12.  But it is setting on blocks and no wind breaks nearby.

I'm not sure of the exact dimensions but it fits 3-5 chickens. it didn't seem to have moved at all from the storm last night. As of right now it is away from the house and I have been thinking of moving it closer, if not against the house.

I would either use mobile home anchors which screw into the ground or pour some concrete pylons.
Doesn't have to be elaborate, just one on each corner would give you more peace of mind.
Low profile portable coops as suggested move to sheltered wind break when storms predicted. They can also be tied down, too. Do Google search about tying down calf hutch and lots of good ideas. Calf hutches are molded plastic/fiberglass housing for raising dairy calves. You could have portable moved when storms predicted to sheltered place and have a tie down there, too.

Hi everyone I have missed being here.
Life is really a big ------hole right now and will be for a long time to come. My grandfather passed away and 2 days latter we got NOTICE that our neighbors want to rezone to residential and there are more of them than me so I have lost and now I have 30 days to either move or get rid of ALL my critters. Well the moving thing aint working out. Cant find a place.
I am so upset. I have had my horse for 16 years!!! and I have the goats and the chickens!!! I just dont know what to do so if anyone is looking for any goats or chickens e-mail me cause I wont be on here much right now, I'm just upset and am spending ALL the time I can with the critters and trying to see that they go to good people.
I hope all is well with everyone.

[email protected]

Last edited:
Anyone looking for muscovy I'm about to some hatch in the next couple of weeks. Mom is blue pied and dad is either blue pied too (do black silver and blue babies) or lavender split to chocolate (so black or blue split to lav I think but babies could be used for buff or cream)

Life is really a big ------hole right now and will be for a long time to come. My grandfather passed away and 2 days latter we got NOTICE that our neighbors want to rezone to residential and there are more of them than me so I have lost and now I have 30 days to either move or get rid of ALL my critters. Well the moving thing aint working out. Cant find a place.
I am so upset. I have had my horse for 16 years!!! and I have the goats and the chickens!!! I just dont know what to do so if anyone is looking for any goats or chickens e-mail me cause I wont be on here much right now, I'm just upset and am spending ALL the time I can with the critters and trying to see that they go to good people.

[email protected]

So sorry to hear this. That sounds awful.
hugs.gif
Sending you an email. We will help if we can.

[email protected]
so sorry to hear that. Have you talked to a lawyer? Is there no grandfather clause?
Wishing the best to you and your critters.

We Indiana folks must be busy! Not many posts lately.

Got up this morning and went out to get some wood chips and found that husband had put some yew on top of one of the wood chip piles. We had been cutting it down and were going to burn it but I didn't realize he put it on the wood chips.

I ended up hauling all the yew (4 pickup loads) back up to the front burn pile and burning all morning. Won't be able to use those wood chips now as there are needles in it from the yew, unfortunately.

But at least the yew we cut has been burned.

Worn out!

dreaming-1.gif

Back
Top Bottom