INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@Indyshent @jchny2000

Thanks! We have dry cat food ,
So I'll get my
Old gas
Mask out and blend some
Up
lau.gif
ROFL! Yeah its kinda stinky but hey, we love our birds! Some folks use the bulk fish feed too, its a high protein feed. Not the small canisters, but the bagged 50lb feed at farm stores for large ponds.

I have wound up with a good flock of "production" RIR, around 23 birds. Have always had a couple here, and have always liked them. WOW, so many eggs! They are laying great! I have one little heritage cockerel growing up that I will be adding to that pen soon. He had a meet up with the girls, but is still not old enough to manage the flock yet. He hatched June 6th so is still pretty young. I will also add a Dark Cornish cockerel at the same time. Buckeye's lineage are bred from RIR and Dark Cornish. I am researching more about them, its a pretty interesting history.

NPIP what does that mean?? http://www.poultryimprovement.org/d...2495c0e99-ED2E78CB-A045-C1D7-2094884ACFD10480
Why does it matter?
Shipping eggs, chicks and adult poultry. It means you have a healthy flock, and safe to purchase from. We have a few testers on our thread. @CCCCCCCCHICKENS and @kittydoc are certified NPIP testers. Probably more folks, please post if certified and willing to test.
Do I need it?
Its an individual choice for breeders. It tells you if your flock is healthy, and safe to sell eggs, chicks or birds to other folks. NPIP poultry breeders are considered a safer option to purchase eggs to hatch or chicks from.

Quote:
I'm certified to test, but I don't have any supplies, so mostly I can volunteer time in limited quantities =)

@jchny2000
Buckeyes...... Did your daughter have a couple of pullets she could spare for you? Or...maybe we need a few more chicks next year.

Right now I think I've 3 girls (one is still "iffy" but I'm pretty sure). I'll keep one of the boys; 2 will process unless someone wants them for a flock roo. The boys are all still just friendly and "child-like" even at this age (is it 21 weeks?)

If it works out for keeping the boy I suppose I could have some hatching eggs for next spring too....

:lau ROFL! Yeah its kinda stinky but hey, we love our birds! Some folks use the bulk fish feed too, its a high protein feed. Not the small canisters, but the bagged 50lb feed at farm stores for large ponds.

So this morning, feeling hungover as always (insomnia, not the bottle lol) I goth to the pantry and get a can of friskys. It looked like someone threw up in a can and said "yep, cats will eat that, o had the chicken tuna special for lunch!"
1f612.png
. While trying not to add to the vomit
Like mixture, I puréed as much as a could handle, although it was already pretty much so. Added starter grower, diatacious earth, and a little bit of bird seed. As soon as I plopped down in their little corner they are adults scrambled over there to eat it all up and the little ones went back to a pile of adult food. Aside from injecting it into their mouth with the syringe I don't know how I'm gonna get them to eat it LOL

Back
Top Bottom