INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@Indyshent Prayers to you and a big hug
hugs.gif

Thanks everyone for the notes thoughts and kind words also.

hugs.gif
If I can do anything, let me know.

Radiologist refused to talk to me. Doctor's office has been either having issues with fax machine or with personnel. They finally got the results of the ultrasound last night, but refused to talk to me about it either. Receptionist was going to pass it on to my specific doctor/NP. Hopefully, I'll find out today--right before the dreaded organic chemistry exam. I'm so screwed. Not expecting good news at all with the way everyone's passing me around.

Even if it's not cancer, I still need to rehome some birds. Insurance is too expensive, but we can't afford to cancel it at this point either. $500/mos for a $3000 deductible on me. Crazy. If it is cancer, I may eventually be looking to downsize even more severely or possibly get out of poultry. Whatever it is is progressing very quickly, so I feel more and more horrible every day. Can't eat very much, can't sleep much, in constant pain. Prayers are appreciated.

"Complex cyst" I'll need to see an ob/gyn for any further info. Can't tell if it's cancer or a really weird cyst
hugs.gif
Thoughts and prayers.

Racin is right about them. They feather slowly but are worth it. 

What's not to love about Brahmas? If you have a muddy yard, feather-footed breeds might not be for you because they're prone to mites and frostbite on their toes (the feathers keep mud and ice close to the feet--seems counter-intuitive, but it's true). Late maturing. Our hen was laying around 7-8mos but laid quite often (she just hid all her eggs). 

BUT, they have pea combs so their combs don't get frostbite. They are super fluffy, huge, sweet-natured, easy-going birds who don't lay as bad as you might think. Wonderful, wonderful temperaments. Tame super easily. Giant lap birds. The less popular birds are best because, unfortunately, hatcheries go for numbers rather than type on light Brahmas, so you get smaller, meaner ones more often with hatchery LBs. Dark Brahmas from RK even have been exceptionally wonderful birds. I had two roosters and one hen, and my kids could pick up any of them. Roosters tolerated each other with a bare minimum of fighting and were pretty gentle with the hens despite being three times bigger than most of my girls. Protective, alert roosters, too; my first DB alpha roo gave his life for his hens.

Half-breeds with Brahmas grow faster and get huge as well, so by all means, eat the crossbreeds. I have several EE/DB crosses here, and no matter how flighty the moms were, the daughters tolerate people and handling much, much more. 

I only have one Brahma hen left, and she's getting some age on her, but I love the breed and would like to get at least another cock. They're great protectors. Had a cock called Stumpy because of frost bitten toes. When I was moving and had the doors open, he would wander in, check all the boxes, and mosey back out.

:hugs If I can do anything, let me know.

Radiologist refused to talk to me. Doctor's office has been either having issues with fax machine or with personnel. They finally got the results of the ultrasound last night, but refused to talk to me about it either. Receptionist was going to pass it on to my specific doctor/NP. Hopefully, I'll find out today--right before the dreaded organic chemistry exam. I'm so screwed. Not expecting good news at all with the way everyone's passing me around. 

Even if it's not cancer, I still need to rehome some birds. Insurance is too expensive, but we can't afford to cancel it at this point either. $500/mos for a $3000 deductible on me. Crazy. If it is cancer, I may eventually be looking to downsize even more severely or possibly get out of poultry. Whatever it is is progressing very quickly, so I feel more and more horrible every day. Can't eat very much, can't sleep much, in constant pain. Prayers are appreciated. 

Consider them done!

:hugs Thoughts and prayers.

Ditto

My EE Tyrion is molting. She always gets a hard molt & is currently bald in a few places. This year it's her comb that has me worried.
For the past month, I've noticed white bumps on her comb. At 1st I thought pieces of sand wedged into the grooves. But cleaning/wiping her comb didn't help. It can't be picked off (& I didn't want to fuss with it too much) I thought a mild injury & tried triple antibiotic. Then dryness & tried Vaseline. Nothing worked yet. She seems OK & is very active within the flock. No personality change. No other chickens affected.

Has anyone seen this before????

This is what she looked like in July.

I know it's not chicken related but I'm posting this everywhere!

We have a cat that need rehomed ASAP. Our cat that we've already had will not let her eat or drink, so I've had to separate them. She is super sweet, probably needs to be in a one pet home. Anyone in Indianapolis who wants her, if you come get her she's all yours! She just wants to be loved on all day, but we have our cat, the chickens, rabbits, getting a St. Bernard pup tomorrow, and a 1 year old..... I can't mediate everyone at once haha. Either quote me or PM me.
[/IMG]

She was a stray so don't know her history, we've tried for a month now to get her acclimated and it's not working, she is due for a flea treatment. Appears to not be fixed and fully clawed, but hasn't damaged a thing. She needs a forever home.

Hello fellow BYC'ers! So long story short a slip on the back porch left me with a broken foot and my Rouen x Black Swedish duck hiding a little clutch of 2 eggs from me! After a fight with her today I was able to candle them and they look about 5 day along in incubation. So my question is with it being fall should I just see what happens? I don't have an incubator and with limited mobility is just letting her try to hatch the two babies my best option? Thanks in advance

Hello fellow BYC'ers! So long story short a slip on the back porch left me with a broken foot and my Rouen x Black Swedish duck hiding a little clutch of 2 eggs from me! After a fight with her today I was able to candle them and they look about 5 day along in incubation. So my question is with it being fall should I just see what happens? I don't have an incubator and with limited mobility is just letting her try to hatch the two babies my best option? Thanks in advance

IMO I would just let her. Weather shouldn't matter given the momma is a good one. I would suggest penning them to keep them safe once they hatch because the colder weather will make them even more targets than in better weather. Good luck and we
1f495.png
baby pics!!!

Back
Top Bottom