INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

What breed might this chick be? And what gender do you think it is? I was sent these 6 Olive green colored eggs in the mail from someone, and only 1 hatched.

Nyla~ I'd say Black Bantam Cochin/Olive Egger mix based on the chicks hatched by my dearly departed Bonbon, a Bantam English Choc. Orp. I added Olive Egger mix since your hatching eggs were Olive. The eggs that Bonbon hatched were from @ellymayRans who breeds Bantam Cochins and Olive Eggers. I don't think that sex can be determined for a couple of months. They love people and have a lot of personality! Here are some pictures of Bonbon with her chicks to compare:

Not that I don't think an automatic coop door is a bad idea, but if $ is tight, you may be able to find a cheaper way.

We have plenty of neighbors who want to buy our eggs, & children who adore our flock. We regularly find chicken sitters who literally work for eggs. Especially if your son will be there to feed them & clean the coop, you may be able to simply ask a neighbor's kid to open/close the door.
Thanks for your input! Considering the mystery illness that killed six of my flock members a year ago, I'd be afraid to have others in and out because of biosecurity issues. Even if an auto door costs more than I'd like to pay, at least it would come in handy in the future. DS is an engineer who could make the device if he weren't already burning the candle at both ends.
@Leahs Mom ~ Thank you for your input, too! I will check out that site, and I also appreciate the tip about the litter!

I love the youngest one you sent me!! She is extremely nest and runs right up to me. She is so adorable! She likes to perch on my shoulder! Should I keep a heat lamp on her? She seems like she isn't fully feathered. I don't want her getting cold! I love her so much! The white with patches lets me pet her too. The to black pied don't seem to like me near them, but the big pied black one lets me pet it for a couple seconds then moves away. They are soo adorable! Very happy! My Muscovy's I already had love them too! But the young one stoll my heart! Trying hard not to give in and make her a house Duck lol!:woot :weee :celebrate :love :ya :bun :weee

They've all been living outside during this winter weather. They're all fully feathered.
I will have to get you their hatch dates so you can keep track.
Glad you're enjoying them!

[COLOR=8B4513]Last night, I was midway through a post and the power went out. Ugh. Just lots of fiece winds. Earlier in the day, the page editor wouldn't work. [/COLOR]:rolleyes: [COLOR=00CCCC]Hatchery experiences:[/COLOR][COLOR=8B4513]I have been reading posts that I missed when I was in Louisville, and noticed good and bad comments about hatcheries. Keep ‘em coming! I have been compiling comments since last year and hope to put them on our Indiana page soon. [/COLOR] [rule][COLOR=A52A2A]Welcome to the Indiana Thread! ~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]@Angels Eggs from Peru, @sfd6532 [/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]from Noblesville,[/COLOR] @crazy rooster34 , @ndbeck63 , [COLOR=8B4513]and[/COLOR] @James Beller [COLOR=8B4513]Please check out the link at the bottom of the post to find out more about this friendly thread![/COLOR] [rule] @ellymayRans ~ [COLOR=8B4513]Yesterday, we had pouring rain most of the day and I went out to check on The Frizzles, and I found them to be very resourceful![/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Btw, it looks like my LF girls chewed the tops off of the daylily leaves. [/COLOR]:/
Omy!!! Hahaha! Thanks for that chuckle!! They're so darn funny!

What breed might this chick be? And what gender do you think it is? I was sent these 6 Olive green colored eggs in the mail from someone, and only 1 hatched.
You're not going to be able to sex it for several weeks if you're lucky. Does it have a single comb? feathered shanks? Usually whom ever you got the eggs from will gladly answer any questions. I'd ask them since Olive eggers can be created with many different combinations. Adorable but, awe, all alone! You need to stalk someone at the feed store and get them to add 1 to their box so you can bring a pal home for this lone chick!

I went to RK yesterday here locally and they did not have the "rare" breeds yet, lav Orps etc
They did however have the following (best to my recollection) May be the most bins I've seen them have yet?!?

Speckled Sussex pullets
EE "ameracauna" pullets
RIR
Black sexlinks
Amberlinks
White Rocks
Partridge Rock
Barred Rock
French Pearl Guinea
Ducks (no label assuming Pekin)
Buckeye
Columbia?

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Hoping to swing back by today to check them out.

Anyone here npip in southern indiana? I would like to be but I'm not able to find out how and what goes on. like will they take the chickens away that dont meet their standards or will they let me do as i please with the ones I cant keep.If anyone knows much that will help please pm me.

I went to RK yesterday here locally and they did not have the "rare" breeds yet, lav Orps etc
They did however have the following (best to my recollection) May be the most bins I've seen them have yet?!?

Speckled Sussex pullets
EE "ameracauna" pullets
RIR
Black sexlinks
Amberlinks
White Rocks
Partridge Rock
Barred Rock
French Pearl Guinea
Ducks (no label assuming Pekin)
Buckeye
Columbia?

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Hoping to swing back by today to check them out.

The RK in Fort Wayne seemed to have more birds than I've seen before as well. They had Pekin and Campbell duckings, and had signage for Rouen and runners as well.

They had loads of chicks. Much of what you listed, as well as leghorns.

I went to tractor supply and bought six of their unsexed australorps. Then gave all 7 of them to my neighbor who loves baby chicks and has a lot of chickens. My neighbor wouldn't leave my house or leave me alone calling constantly over the phone begging. So I gave in. Also I got my baby ducklings in today!

Had 5 Sexed as females:
1x Cayuga (Female)
1x Mallard (Female)
1x Pekin (Female)
1x Welsh Harlequin (Female)
1x Buff Orp. (female)

And 5 Unsexed ducklings and they marked on the paper which breeds they are!!! 3 Welsh Harlequin and 2 Pekins!!

They've all been living outside during this winter weather. They're all fully feathered.
I will have to get you their hatch dates so you can keep track.
Glad you're enjoying them!
I would love to know their hatching dates! Also if I'm not mistaken, I do believe my 1 yr old son named her. Everytime we go outside to see them, she runs right up to her and she runs up to him and he says "Toetoe". And this has been a couple times. And he pets her ever so gentle. I will post a picture sometime lol!

Back
Top Bottom